Power supply dilemma

Jon6936
Go to solution Solved by jupo,

Hi Jon

I hope I can shine a ray of hope in your project. I bought the HP Elite 8300 (convertible minitower) super cheap for the exact same reason. Upgrade PSU and GPU for gaming. As far as I know, the 8100, 8200, and 8300 use the same PoS proprietary power supply and connectors on the mobo. Fortunately, there are adapters out there for people like us! Go on ebay or amazon, and search for "24 pin to 6 pin power adapter z220".

The specific one I ordered from Amazon is made by Adaptare, but I hear the ones on Ebay from the maker AYA are good and popular.

Adaptare: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J9PCDMY

AYAhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/152350662741

These adapters are actually meant for other models of HP prebuilts (z220 and z230), so the connectors are the same, but the pin configurations are a little different. We need to rearrange the wires that come out of the white connector on the adapter for it to work with our 8200/8300s. It's explained quite well in the following youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeuPjgIcsY8

I looked all over the web for these pin reconfigurations, and people are suggesting different things. I'm assuming it's because different adapter makes have different configurations. However, I found these two schematics that should help:

One schematic:

Schematic 1

And another schematic:

Schematic 2

In both the schematics, you can see that the purple wire comes out of the 24pin +5 volt standby connector, then go to a step-up converter. This is because with standard ATX connectors, the standby (SB) is run with 5 volts. However, HP decided to screw standards even further by requiring a 12 volt standby! Luckily, the adapters I mentioned above already come with the step-up converter, which is the big black bulge in the middle of the wires covered in shrink wrap. Also, the wires coming out of the 24-pin grounds (COM) are a little different in the two schematics, but the PWR_OK and PS_ON are the same in both, which I think are the important bits.

Finally, I'll tell you about my current status. I have my HP Elite 8300, new PSU (EGVA 650 G3) and new GPU (RX580), but I'm still waiting for my power adapter to arrive. So all this info I've gathered hasn't been personally tested yet :(. I ordered two different adapters from ebay, but the shipping was taking so long that I got impatient and ordered the one from Amazon with expedited shipping. It should arrive in about 4 days (Dec 5), then the fun begins.

Hope it helps! Keep us posted, and I will too. Don't give up :)

I trying to replace a 320W PSU with a Corsair CX500 non-modular PSU in a HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertable minitower. So I can have enough power to run a higher quality gpu. However during my installation attempt I realized that the mother board I was using (AS#611796-002) did not have a 24 or a 20 pin power connector. Without that connector the power supply won’t even start the fan because it is not grounded.(Yes I have used the paper clip trick and yes the PSU does indeed work). I’m desperate for an answer, is the PSU not compatible with the motherboard? I have searched far and wide on the internet with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

98928568-CABC-4461-8FFC-8A7C68FD0867.jpeg

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jon6936 said:

I trying to replace a 320W PSU with a Corsair CX500 non-modular PSU in a HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertable minitower. So I can have enough power to run a higher quality gpu. However during my installation attempt I realized that the mother board I was using (AS#611796-002) did not have a 24 or a 20 pin power connector. Without that connector the power supply won’t even start the fan because it is not grounded.(Yes I have used the paper clip trick and yes the PSU does indeed work). I’m desperate for an answer, is the PSU not compatible with the motherboard? I have searched far and wide on the internet with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

98928568-CABC-4461-8FFC-8A7C68FD0867.jpeg

Probably is not compatible, most often the HPs PCs have a smaller atx psu form. It's crap.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Mate the sad truth is that you might no be able to repurpose this motherboard, if you can take the CPU out and memory and cooler you could still buy a new one, but one gotta wonder... with you saying you want a "higher quality gpu" why not save up and build a new pc when you can? might be better than spending on old stuff.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hi Jon

I hope I can shine a ray of hope in your project. I bought the HP Elite 8300 (convertible minitower) super cheap for the exact same reason. Upgrade PSU and GPU for gaming. As far as I know, the 8100, 8200, and 8300 use the same PoS proprietary power supply and connectors on the mobo. Fortunately, there are adapters out there for people like us! Go on ebay or amazon, and search for "24 pin to 6 pin power adapter z220".

The specific one I ordered from Amazon is made by Adaptare, but I hear the ones on Ebay from the maker AYA are good and popular.

Adaptare: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J9PCDMY

AYAhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/152350662741

These adapters are actually meant for other models of HP prebuilts (z220 and z230), so the connectors are the same, but the pin configurations are a little different. We need to rearrange the wires that come out of the white connector on the adapter for it to work with our 8200/8300s. It's explained quite well in the following youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeuPjgIcsY8

I looked all over the web for these pin reconfigurations, and people are suggesting different things. I'm assuming it's because different adapter makes have different configurations. However, I found these two schematics that should help:

One schematic:

Schematic 1

And another schematic:

Schematic 2

In both the schematics, you can see that the purple wire comes out of the 24pin +5 volt standby connector, then go to a step-up converter. This is because with standard ATX connectors, the standby (SB) is run with 5 volts. However, HP decided to screw standards even further by requiring a 12 volt standby! Luckily, the adapters I mentioned above already come with the step-up converter, which is the big black bulge in the middle of the wires covered in shrink wrap. Also, the wires coming out of the 24-pin grounds (COM) are a little different in the two schematics, but the PWR_OK and PS_ON are the same in both, which I think are the important bits.

Finally, I'll tell you about my current status. I have my HP Elite 8300, new PSU (EGVA 650 G3) and new GPU (RX580), but I'm still waiting for my power adapter to arrive. So all this info I've gathered hasn't been personally tested yet :(. I ordered two different adapters from ebay, but the shipping was taking so long that I got impatient and ordered the one from Amazon with expedited shipping. It should arrive in about 4 days (Dec 5), then the fun begins.

Hope it helps! Keep us posted, and I will too. Don't give up :)

Edited by jupo

• 3 weeks later...

update:

all of my adapters have arrived from both Amazon and Ebay. 

The first adapter to arrive was from Amazon by Adaptare. This does not work reliably. Sometimes the computer turns on, but most of the time it just tries to turn on and gives up. It may be my fault with a poor rewiring job.

The ebay adapters also arrived (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-to-Motherboard-2-port-6pin-Power-Supply-Cable-for-HP-Z220-Z230-SFF/181956988416), and after rewiring, this works perfectly. One press of the power button and the computer boots up immediately as expected.

• 1 year later...

Quick question 

I recently bought this pc as well (mt8300) I got everything to work including the adapters except the case, I think the media pins to plug in the pc case are in wrong do you guys by any chance know how they’re plugged in?

• 6 months later...

I have the HP 8300 CMT i7 3770. Information is very vague across the search engines for the 8300 CMT. The rest of the models seem to have lots of information available. That being said I have attempted and achieved success with upgrading my psu with a 650w super flower full modular. With exception to drilling 2 holes and using a cutoff wheel to remove some of the excess sheet metal on the tower cabinet it went fairly smooth. My only complaint is the PITA 515 error press F1 to boot. I have to keep a wired keyboard attached because the wireless one I use for everything else will not function until F1 is pressed. I am not a computer expert by any means so shuffling wires around does not tickle my fancy. I am a Machinist of 30 years so drilling holes and removing metal was a breeze though. I ordered my adapter from a seller on amazon. I emailed him asking if it would work on mine as wired and he stated it would and it did BUT it has that annoying F1 to boot nonsense. I ordered another adapter out of China from Moddiy that was specific to the 8300 CMT with 3396 motherboard. He claims that the error 515 problem will be gone without any further modification. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago so maybe it will be here by Christmas lol. Any help on that error would be greatly appreciated as the other adapter I ordered may either never get her or I may grow old and the computer obsolete before it arrives