Best text editor??

No Vi or Emacs love here? I'm currently using Notepad++ on my windows machine but when I have to SSH into a Linux machine then Vi is pretty sweet.

I got gVim on my laptop, looking forward to learning how to use it. (Hush, didn't feel like using vim through the command line >.>)

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Love me some console-based editors that allow for complete and precise control, but...

Sublime all the way – it's glorious, and amazing. And it's pretty too!

Much pretty.

Thoroughness rating
#########

Notepad++

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

I think vim is the best one

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Sublime, I suppose. But if you're doing Java, you'd probably want to use an IDE like Eclipse or IntelliJ, not a text editor?

My thoughts exactly... I used to use IDEs for editing everything, but in the long run it's a pain if you only need to open a single file. Line numbering, syntax coloring, search and replace; in some cases this is all you need and a monolythic IDE is just overkill.

Thoroughness rating
#########

I am going to add to this that in this pass week I have had a growing dislike toward Monodevelop. Mostly it's auto complete. I probably could configure it and make it better but every other development oriented text editor and IDE just works in that area. But Mono will go so far as to make me use a suggested word, i.e. it selects the word with space instead of tab or enter. So after selecting the word I have to delete the portion that is wrong.  I tried going without auto complete and then realsized how much I liked having it. I'm using it because of the Unity3D integration, But I just may jump ship to Unity3D/C# with visual studio.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I am going to add to this that in this pass week I have had a growing dislike toward Monodevelop. Mostly it's auto complete. I probably could configure it and make it better but every other development oriented text editor and IDE just works in that area. But Mono will go so far as to make me use a suggested word, i.e. it selects the word with space instead of tab or enter. So after selecting the word I have to delete the portion that is wrong.  I tried going without auto complete and then realsized how much I liked having it. I'm using it because of the Unity3D integration, But I just may jump ship to Unity3D/C# with visual studio.

Well MonoDevelop was made chiefly for use with Mono... which is a no-no. Seeing as Microsoft has heavily "encouraged" and "facilitated" the development of mono it isn't exactly something made with open development in mind, strictly speaking. It's more or less a .NET compatability layer, in that modern .NET framework versions are not supported that well. I'd stear clear of the Mono quagmire all together and get myself a new IDE that gets the job done properly.

Thoroughness rating
#########