Is my CPU throttling?

Ruo94
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
5 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

It's running around ~50C on the EVGA program, and +10C (~60) on Ryzen Master. When it "jumps", it goes to around 55-58.

You are not throttling unless CPU speed goes down.  Usage is not where you will see throttling.

Low usage, like what you are showing, can be a result of the program using a "work generation" thread to prepare tasks for the other cores.  When you have more cores/threads, it may be finishing the parallel part of the task before the next batch of threaded work is ready to be processed.  During this time the workload is only on a few cores, so total utilization will go down until it finishes the less threaded part of the workload.

I'm doing some heavy CPU work on Photoscan and I noticed that my CPU usage jumps down a bit every now and then. The temperature would go up and suddenly go down. It kinda looks like thermal throttling but I'm not sure as I never experienced this before with my old rig.

I'm kinda testing the limit of this build at the moment so I wanna know how much I can push my new build.

I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700 at 4.0Ghz at 1.35v

image.thumb.png.e5efa20e6a66a7e216a63c250196f3b4.png image.thumb.png.6bf559cf88896bb589e05a465fe3bae3.png

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

What are your temps?

It's running around ~50C on the EVGA program, and +10C (~60) on Ryzen Master. When it "jumps", it goes to around 55-58.

5 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

You are not throttling unless CPU speed goes down.  Usage is not where you will see throttling.

Low usage, like what you are showing, can be a result of the program using a "work generation" thread to prepare tasks for the other cores.  When you have more cores/threads, it may be finishing the parallel part of the task before the next batch of threaded work is ready to be processed.  During this time the workload is only on a few cores, so total utilization will go down until it finishes the less threaded part of the workload.