Recommending Feature of Post and Thread Checking

Boomwebsearch

I have been a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum for around a year now and I can say that it is awesome and that there are a lot of good replies and questions asked and solved by the members. I would like to suggest adding a feature which could maybe consist of algorithms which would check all posts before they are published to make sure that they do not go against the community guidelines, I know that this is why moderators are there for, although with the high volume of posts I would imagine that not all posts get scanned and potentially some could still be out there which go against the community guidelines for this site. Is there anything like this concept already implemented or is the concept reasonable enough to be implemented sometime in the future and if not then please let me know why it would not be implemented or if it does not make sense to do so?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

It might be a little to complex server side to run an algorithm set to check every single post and thread that gets made daily on the forums. But it could be possibly implemented but maybe not with the forums current set up as they did change it a few years ago. 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

If you're talking about the recent influx of bots, then there's already a system implemented to combat that and the few we see here and there are nothing compared to what has been blocked.

However, if your suggestion is to scan every post before it's posted then @colonel_mortis mentioned it in the thread below (it's about spam bots, but I think it's also relevant in this situation)

Suggestion:

i dont know how many users register and post daily, but making moderators approve first post of a new user would probably eliminate it (obviously only check the posts that arent on banlist from other protections already, and add option to add that post to banlist)

Response:

The volume of content would make that unmanageable, and having a delay before your post is visible is not great for engagement. We have considered it, but it's not on the cards at the moment.

You should watch some videos or read articles on making swear filters and other black lists. Thats essentially what you are suggesting. It would be nearly impossible to create fool proof system. Or even system which would flag those kinds of posts. The bot prevention already does that, and we are getting much less bot activity than few years ago. Also the current automatic filtering when reported using radio selector works fairly well. It takes 3-4 reports and flags post for moderator review. So bigger issue is that many people just whine and backseat moderate when they could report and move on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You should watch some videos or read articles on making swear filters and other black lists. Thats essentially what you are suggesting. It would be nearly impossible to create fool proof system. Or even system which would flag those kinds of posts. The bot prevention already does that, and we are getting much less bot activity than few years ago. Also the current automatic filtering when reported using radio selector works fairly well. It takes 3-4 reports and flags post for moderator review. So bigger issue is that many people just whine and backseat moderate when they could report and move on.

21 hours ago, KingCry said:

It might be a little to complex server side to run an algorithm set to check every single post and thread that gets made daily on the forums. But it could be possibly implemented but maybe not with the forums current set up as they did change it a few years ago. 

This is not necessarily what I am suggesting, I am suggesting some implementation feature which is beyond that and could detect and automatically handle postings which go against the community guidelines. Such as this set of algorithms would be able to detect offenses of the CS such as backseat moderation and assign warning points or even better would be to prevent that post from being added. I think that this would make it a lot easier for the moderators and they would be able to have more time to handle site development aspect of the forum rather than having to sort through large-scale posts which has the potential that some posts will go missed that are against the CS. I imagine that it would take a long time to develop software which would be intelligent enough to thoroughly analyze all posts on this forum although I think that it potentially could be worth it due to the increasing posts and members which is awesome towards this community forum and many maybe something simple like a warning message before you post something that would potentially get deleted, get you banned, have your account or that thread locked, etc so that users would think before they post something which could potentially be harming other users. Maybe have it so that it will display a warning before that user posts it, if the user still decides to post then it will be published and then sent to moderation or automatically blocked and have consequences provided to the writer of that harmful post. I really think that this would improve this amazing community forum and would like to see it be implemented in some way in the future.

15 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

If you're talking about the recent influx of bots, then there's already a system implemented to combat that and the few we see here and there are nothing compared to what has been blocked.

However, if your suggestion is to scan every post before it's posted then @colonel_mortis mentioned it in the thread below (it's about spam bots, but I think it's also relevant in this situation)

I am not as concerned towards spam bots as I would think that it would be getting more and more difficult for spam bots to get accounts as time progresses and software evolves and am more concerned towards potential community standards which are been violated and which will not even get dealt with in the chance that it does not get seen by someone who would be able to reported.

I know that this feature which I am suggesting seems to be a lot of possible work needed in the design and implementation category, although I am predicting that it will be implemented in some way in the future as since of post volume the issue gets larger and larger. Please let me know what your thoughts are towards this concept, do you think that it would be beneficial, do you think that it would be beneficial, anything similar planned to be implemented, etc and am very excited to see what Linus Media Group does to transform this forum to remain and more be being of the best place for sharing information towards technology and other topics. Thank you to all of the wonderful members, staff, moderators, administrators, retired staff members, etc which have helped to make this forum and awesome community possible.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

On 11/28/2018 at 3:14 AM, Boomwebsearch said:

which could maybe consist of algorithms which would check all posts before they are published to make sure that they do not go against the community guidelines

Implementing a system that can usefully (result in less work for moderators) differentiate between acceptable and unacceptable posts would take a full time development team a long time, let alone what I can do in a couple of weekends.

If you come across a post that violates the Community Standards, please just report it and a moderator will take care of it.

HTTP/2 203

I can make something like this that catches 100% of offenses and spam with very little effort.
Similarly, I can kill 100% of abductors in a hostage situation with explosives.

The hostages may not make it either, is what I'm saying.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch