Dear Linus, The Chevy VOLT is being discontinued.

Minsc&Boo

Back in August Linus got a Chevy VOLT.

Now (NOV 2018), the Chevy VOLT is being discontinued amid General Motors decision to close factories and displace 14,000 workers.

Source;
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18112536/gm-layoffs-factory-closing-ending-production-chevy-volt

Well, at least you didn't drop it (kinda the reverse really).

That's nothing to scream and shout over. 

Even if a vehicle model is discontinued, parts will still be available for it for a certain amount of time, usually several years after the vehicle model is discontinued. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

That's nothing to scream and shout over. 

Even if a vehicle model is discontinued, parts will still be available for it for a certain amount of time, usually several years after the vehicle model is discontinued. 

That's usually enforced by law, for products like this. I think for cars that's actually like 20 years or something.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

This is a shame - the Volt is a kickass car, that has the main benefits of an EV (enough range on battery only to make it to work and back without using any gas at all), but also alieviated range anxiety by having the large fuel tank which could extend range up to 680 km (420 miles).

They're also discontinuing the Cruze, which is a popular compact car.

The simple fact is, that in North America, car sales are slumping like mad, and Truck/SUV sales are soaring. Ford already announced earlier this year they were discontinuing pretty much all Car models within the near future, and only selling Trucks/SUV's, and specialty cars (Mustang, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Total bummer. My review of the Volt was going to be very positive. I think it's great.

I wish consumers would wake up to the fact that they don't need a gigantic vehicle for 99% of the things they do.. and that it's only a matter of (a very small amount of) time before you can just Uber a pickup truck for that TV purchase or dump run and drive your economical sedan the rest of the time.

*sigh*

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Total bummer. My review of the Volt was going to be very positive. I think it's great.

I wish consumers would wake up to the fact that they don't need a gigantic vehicle for 99% of the things they do.. and that it's only a matter of (a very small amount of) time before you can just Uber a pickup truck for that TV purchase or dump run and drive your economical sedan the rest of the time.

*sigh*

That's one of my complaints. Calgary has a lot of that. If your pick up isn't filled with tools or covered in mud, you probably don't need it.

Unfortunately, the smallest car I can drive is a Civic sedan or a Corolla as I'm built like an orangutang on a step ladder. I tried my fiance's Civic coup and the front seat just don't go far back enough.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

14 hours ago, Minsc&Boo said:

Now (NOV 2018), the Chevy VOLT is being discontinued amid General Motors decision to close factories and displace 14,000 workers.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18112536/gm-layoffs-factory-closing-ending-production-chevy-volt

you posted the link text as the actual link, but it goes to a youtube redirect link

I have much to learn from your talents.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is a shame - the Volt is a kickass car, that has the main benefits of an EV (enough range on battery only to make it to work and back without using any gas at all), but also alieviated range anxiety by having the large fuel tank which could extend range up to 680 km (420 miles).

They're also discontinuing the Cruze, which is a popular compact car.

The simple fact is, that in North America, car sales are slumping like mad, and Truck/SUV sales are soaring. Ford already announced earlier this year they were discontinuing pretty much all Car models within the near future, and only selling Trucks/SUV's, and specialty cars (Mustang, etc).

Yeah,really disappointing Chevy is discontinuing their most popular cars, the Volt could have been even more competitive if Chevy could have made a full EV version.

But I think Chevy and Ford are only shooting themselves in the foot when they still sold quite a few cars, people that still want cars will buy another brand.

As someone in North America I don't want a expensive truck or SUV. And crossovers which are just a hatchback with bigger tires,AWD and a lift don't get that much better gas mileage than a SUV to make sense buying over a car either IMO.

24 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

*sigh*

Agreed - I bought a Jetta for my current job, which requires me to drive between branch locations on a frequent basis - I could have gotten an SUV or something, but I wanted something that was practical and economical.

I hope you still put out the review for the Volt - the used Market for them is still quite large, and I imagine current new stock will last a while yet.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah,really disappointing Chevy is discontinuing their most popular cars, the Volt could have been even more competitive if Chevy could have made a full EV version.

But I think Chevy and Ford are only shooting themselves in the foot when they still sold quite a few cars, people that still want cars will buy another brand.

As someone in North America I don't want a expensive truck or SUV. And crossovers which are just a hatchback with bigger tires,AWD and a lift don't get that much better gas mileage than a SUV to make sense buying over a car either IMO.

Instead of just modifying the Volt into a full EV model, that was what the Bolt was for.

The problem is that the Bolt is a totally different vehicle. It's a crossover at best, or a small SUV practically. It also has much lower luxury/build quality, and a different feature set.

Cross your fingers, maybe they'll lease a full EV version of the Volt in the near future?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

*sigh*

If only you could buy cars used from the factory, then manufacturers would see more interest in these 'great' cars and continue to make them.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

2 minutes ago, Edzel Yago said:

If only you could buy cars used from the factory, then manufacturers would see more interest in these 'great' cars and continue to make them.

An interesting notion xD

Some people swear that buying new is a waste of money and that everyone should buy used... they also fail to see the problem with their suggestions :P

I did buy my car new, but it was on a killer deal with 0% APR with a ton of stuff thrown in for free, so for me, it was totally worth it.

They cancelled the potato on wheels? Wont be missed.

Was one of the ugliest of the bailout mobiles.

Sure getting paid back for the bailout billions by laying of 14,000 people too...

29 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I wish consumers would wake up to the fact that they don't need a gigantic vehicle for 99% of the things they do

The only problem I have with smaller cars is the engine bay is much smaller meaning any engine maintenance is a nightmare. I'm at college studying level 2 motor vehicle maintenance/repair and have to work on a Toyota Aygo...

Image result for 57 Toyota Aygo

and when the engine bay is this small...

Image result for 57 Toyota Aygo

It's not easy to do any engine work.

Yesterday I had to remove and refit the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) and my god, it was horrible. The sensor is located mid-way down on the cylinder head and is in between two stiff hoses on the right side of the engine, the battery had to be removed to get any possible access and even then it was tight. Probably the most thing I hated about it was the shear pain, after sticking my hands down between two stiff hoses I had red marks and pressure indents on my hands and lower arms. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

38 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

you posted the link text as the actual link, but it goes to a youtube redirect link

I have much to learn from your talents.

Damn, how the fudge...

Thanks!

OP Link edited

15 hours ago, Minsc&Boo said:

Source;
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18112536/gm-layoffs-factory-closing-ending-production-chevy-volt

i heard that too and rushed here.

15 hours ago, Minsc&Boo said:

Source;

We need a mod to move this to *Tech News*.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

*sigh*

maybe it will be replaced unless they did it to save money.

10 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

They cancelled the potato on wheels? Wont be missed.

Can easily be fixed with a couple 2080 Tis....

57 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem is that the Bolt is a totally different vehicle. It's a crossover at best, or a small SUV practically. It also has much lower luxury/build quality, and a different feature set.

Cross your fingers, maybe they'll lease a full EV version of the Volt in the near future?

I kind of forgot about the Bolt, nice crossover with great 0-60 acceleration for a cheaper EV that was still as practical as a car. IIRC most complained of interior plastic being cheap but I guess that could be a good thing to keep the car light. The Ford Ecosport seems to be popular, but its more of a small SUV than a crossover.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I wish consumers would wake up to the fact that they don't need a gigantic vehicle for 99% of the things they do

huge cars or trucks are like a must-have for americans

I personally own a Fiat UNO from 1994 and works like a charm, uses gas (real gas not gasoline or gas-oil) which is really cheap compared to other fuels or electricity, really compact but it can carry a lot of stuff so I don't see the point in getting a huge 4 door sedan just to drive around the city

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

uses gas (real gas not gasoline or gas-oil)

Can you elaborate on this? You mean your car runs off of Propane or LNG?

16 minutes ago, Disgruntled Homer said:

How good is the Accord Hybrid/Clarity? I'd imagine it would be a bit more reliable, because while Chevrolet has improved, even a Ford is usually more reliable. It's a bummer how low the Prius Prime's electric range is, though at least it's a hybrid the rest of the time.

Having never driven either, I cannot say with personal experience, but the simple fact is that they're Honda's, which means they're probably very reliable. The Accord Hybrid in particular is probably very nice. Accords are pretty decent upgrades over the lower models like Civics, etc.

I'm not sure off the top of my head whether the Clarity is an "upgrade" from the Accord, or a "sidegrade".

Chevy has improved massively within the last 10 years, in terms of their reliability and reputation. The Cruze is a fantastic little car. Very reliable. Cheap parts. Pretty cheap to buy. My fiancee's sister bought one earlier this year and she damn well loves that car (and she's also a hands on person and a bit of a gear-head).

Personally I'd still keep my Jetta over a Cruze, because I love my Jetta, but they're definitely good cars.

16 minutes ago, Disgruntled Homer said:

I 100% agree. So many people drive around with empty pickups/SUV's. Part of the reason I hate them so much. (I also hate them because they are causing sedan models to be discontinued.) 

I have less of a problem with SUV's over pickup trucks.

Almost every single pickup truck I see on a daily basis (which is a lot, because I live in Canada, and we're just as obsessed with pickup trucks as the US is) is empty in the bed.

Whereas at least an SUV has more practicality on a daily basis. You've got the back seats, which only crew cab trucks typically have. You've also got the large trunk space behind the seats, which a pickup truck does not have (the bed is different because it's exposed to the elements).

I dislike seeing all the huge full size SUV's (stuff like Highlanders, Pilots, Escalades, Expeditions, etc) - as those tend to be overkill.

But small SUV's are actually totally acceptable to me - that's stuff like the Tiguan, CR-V, RAV4, etc. I'm actually considering getting a Tiguan or a RAV4 as my next vehicle (though that will be 3-5 years from now at minimum).

The RAV4 in particular offers an AWD Hybrid model that is particularly appealing to me. I wish so badly that VW would introduce a Hybrid version of the Tiguan... or hell, ANY of their vehicles. They made a Hybrid Jetta in Canada, but only sold it for 2-3 years and then dropped it. None of the other VW hybrids ever made it to Canada.

And on the electric side, the only EV VW sells here is the e-Golf. No thanks. I'm not a Golf fan (though the Golf Alltrack ALMOST convinces me to get one, but again, no hybrid or EV model for that either).

Just now, Disgruntled Homer said:

I consider those Crossovers. I still don't like them as much as Sedans, though. On an unrelated note, I'm sad to see Manual Transmissions being phased out.

Well what is a Crossover? It's basically a small SUV/tall sedan. They tend to have characteristics of both, and I definitely consider Crossovers as a sub-type of SUV.

As for Manual Transmissions? I will not shed a tear there. Manuals are terrible for daily driving. Sure you can get good at it, and manage it so it's not overly annoying, but it will never be as convenient as a good automatic transmission.

I drive my car for work, which means I may have to travel between branches regularly, in city traffic. I wouldn't even consider a manual for my daily driver.

Furthermore, they've been able to engineer some amazing transmissions that are automatic and computer controlled, but have a fully operational manual mode that's still fun to drive.

And for those who must have a real mechanical manual? There's still the odd sports car that caters to that crowd.

This is sad.  I worked with Chevy to design 

20 hours ago, LinusTech said:

*sigh*

I've done this a few times with Menards and UHaul.  The both offer cheap rentals of pick ups to move various items or refuse. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"