Looking for a lap top for college

Hey, i am looking for a decent lap top that i can use for my up coming college semester. im looking for something reliable and preferably cheap. looking between 200-300$, i like to game but i have a desktop for that and i am in need for something more mobile but if i can find something within the price range that can play things like 7 days to die or minecraft like games than that would be a plus. Also i saw some decently priced chromebooks, but im not sure how they operate or if they are any good.

For $300 you won't even get something that can run chrome very well.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

For $300 you won't even get something that can run chrome very well.

well is there anything within the price range that is useable? Help a poor guy out.

2 minutes ago, skeith2020 said:

well is there anything within the price range that is useable? Help a poor guy out.

Maybe look at some used stuff?

Anything new there is going to be horribly underpowered.

Also chromebooks can't run regular programs and are basically useless.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, skeith2020 said:

Hey, i am looking for a decent lap top that i can use for my up coming college semester. im looking for something reliable and preferably cheap. looking between 200-300$, i like to game but i have a desktop for that and i am in need for something more mobile but if i can find something within the price range that can play things like 7 days to die or minecraft like games than that would be a plus. Also i saw some decently priced chromebooks, but im not sure how they operate or if they are any good.

Are you in the US? If so, go to eBay and get yourself a used ThinkPad T440 (or T540 if you like a 15" screen, or X240 if you want a 12" screen). If there's room left over, grab an extra battery to go with it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Are you in the US? If so, go to eBay and get yourself a used ThinkPad T440 (or T540 if you like a 15" screen, or X240 if you want a 12" screen). If there's room left over, grab an extra battery to go with it.

yeah i live in the U.S. i looked at some reviews and a few people were talking about software issues. 

3 hours ago, skeith2020 said:

yeah i live in the U.S. i looked at some reviews and a few people were talking about software issues. 

Bull. ThinkPads have some of the best software and driver support you'll ever find. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

No one can give you a reccomendation at this budget. Look on craigslist and see what is for sale. Old business laptops are gonna be your friend.

If you just need to take notes and do minor word processing, and you have an okay phone just buy a decent bluetooth keyboard and use your phone.