Making a $300 Pixel Clone

jakkuh_t

I'm currently using galaxy note 3 and I would like to flash it. is the links given cansupport this

8 hours ago, RADEONGRAPHICS211 said:

I'm currently using galaxy note 3 and I would like to flash it. is the links given cansupport this

You cannot use the links as they are not for Note 3. The process however is identical to the one you need to do for Note 3. Go to LineageOS web page. Find your variant of Note 3 (there are at least 3 variants and you need the correct one). There is an instruction page there. You will see that the process is the same. I highly recommend doing that for Note 3. I did it a few years back and it gave a few years more life to the phone.

15 hours ago, Bernhard G said:

I've got a pocophone coming on the way, and I'm considering doing this. However, I'm worried about possibly bricking the phone.

Does anyone have information about how likely bricking the phone is?

Are there things to do or avoid that mitigate the risk of bricking the phone?

(Located in Canada if location restrictions are a factor)

The phone won't brick itself randomly during the process. The only way to brick it is to do something wrong during the process. That's why it's impossible to evaluate what is the chance, it depends on you.

Hello guys, managed to get one of these yesterday for 280gbp on in black friday amazon sale. It updated to MIUI 10.00 out the box. Very impressed so far, but I would be, coming from a moto g4 with a scratched up cam, 2 hour battery and screen burn.

Anyway, trying to follow this video, but when I try to download the boot loader on my pc I get 2 screens with chinese text and a text entry box. I assume this changes to a download link after the 72 hour waiting period?

EDIT : Cancel that. After the phone updated to MIUI10 dev options had turned themselves off, had to reactivate them. Downloaded unlocker now.

Also, on MIUI 10.00 I can't seem to install apps from amazon app store, despite authorising untrusted devs. 

EDIT : To fix untick miui optimize at bottom of  developer options.

So I signed up on xiaomi.com with my phone number and logged in to the Mi account on my phone. Is this all I have to do to trigger the 72 hour waiting period?

On 11/27/2018 at 1:42 AM, jakkuh_t said:

i cant see my device in fast boot mode, it doesnt recogonise build or fastboot as a command, can anyone hellp?

i can get teamviewer if u can help at all! 

Are the unread notification numbers working on the icons for everyone else? Mine are not and it is really bugging me.

Im on Lineage OS

i have been following linus's vague instructions and have hit a issue it seems. once you boot into the twrp recovery and delete the data partition like linus says. he says go ahead and reboot into recovery.. how do you reboot into recovery????   i tried hitting volume up and power button when the phone starts up but it does to go to a recovery os, but my options are, reboot, wipe data, and connect with mi assistant.

there is a prompt to install the twrp app if not installed and install as a system app you can see at 4:35 in the video.. the video cuts and you cant see if he installs that or not.. i didn't.

if i let the phone boot normally it just goes into the standard miui OS

anyone else getting slow charging since chaning to liniage os?

For some reason the fastboot command does not work for me... Can someone please help me?

On 12/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, aidynphoenix said:

i have been following linus's vague instructions and have hit a issue it seems. once you boot into the twrp recovery and delete the data partition like linus says. he says go ahead and reboot into recovery.. how do you reboot into recovery????   i tried hitting volume up and power button when the phone starts up but it does to go to a recovery os, but my options are, reboot, wipe data, and connect with mi assistant.

there is a prompt to install the twrp app if not installed and install as a system app you can see at 4:35 in the video

The TWRP app shouldn't matter does matter (it's just an app from the playstore) (it seems like it's both an app from the playstore and the recovery). If you reboot into the MIUI recovery something went wrong, and/or you didn't flash TWRP as the recovery.
You can also reboot into recovery by selecting it within TWRP it's a button "Reboot" -> "Recovery" (Every version of TWRP I can remember it's in the bottom right of the main menu)
All instruction videos (and guides) about the Pocophone are bad. They all skip a few steps or leave out crucial information
I'm still in the 72h wait because of this.

Edit: 72h wait is over, I like you didn't install the TWRP app and didn't get the recovery either. Just use adb to boot into the recovery again wipe the storage (or just the twrp folder) so you get a reset it (because I didn't find anywhere to install it other than the pop-up you get after wiping the first time) and this time install the app. But now there's also a twrp app on my phone (not just the recovery) so it's a bit weird.

Edited by DanKot
I was wrong

Beginner here and want to ask. In the future how do i update Lineage OS, Google Apps, Magisk, TWRP, and other things needed to do this tutorial?

1 hour ago, PSZ said:

Beginner here and want to ask. In the future how do i update Lineage OS, Google Apps, Magisk, TWRP, and other things needed to do this tutorial?

Lineage can update on their about phone settings.
Google Apps automatically update if you have play store installed from Open Gapps.
Magisk checks for new versions every day and will ask you if you want to install the update.

You will need the official TWRP app if you want an easy way to update the recovery, otherwise you have to do it manually as if you are rooting it the first time.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

Lineage can update on their about phone settings.
Google Apps automatically update if you have play store installed from Open Gapps.
Magisk checks for new versions every day and will ask you if you want to install the update.

You will need the official TWRP app if you want an easy way to update the recovery, otherwise you have to do it manually as if you are rooting it the first time.

Thank you for the information good sir, i will try to do this after i can unlock the bootloader.

Last question, if i want to go back to MIUI do i need to just factory reset the device? Or there are other steps needed?

23 hours ago, PSZ said:

Thank you for the information good sir, i will try to do this after i can unlock the bootloader.

Last question, if i want to go back to MIUI do i need to just factory reset the device? Or there are other steps needed?

You will have to download the ROM of MIUI and flash it like you flash lineageOS. Factory reset will retain LineageOS.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

hi guys, followed linus's workflow, and happy to say it worked for me.. Got my pixel clone..Thank You!

After using it for a few days I'm finding a few things that I am missing or can't figure out how to turn on.

1. Icon badges - can't figure out how to turn on notification badges for unread messages.. This is a killer for me.. If I can't figure it out I think I'll have to switch back to MIUI10

2. How do you turn off all apps in one go running in the background.. Have to swipe each one up to close it (been using android 7 b4)

3. Emails- I have a few emails addresses and they don't show unread emails for each email.

Can anyone shed some light on my probs?

Thank you in advance

If you get the error "FAILED (Write to device failed (Invalid argument))" when flashing twrp-recovery, then switching to a different usb port can solve it for some reason. It did for me!

After flashing, the internet speed has slowed down. Any idea what to do about it?

I am having trouble with unlocking the bootloader.

When trying to unlock the bootloader with the miflash_unlock_en_3.3.827.31 I get to 50% and get "Device unlocked No need to repeat unlock" when it clearly is still locked. When I try with the newer miflash_unlock-en-3.3.1212.33 downloaded from the previous version of the program when checking for updates I also get to 50% but instead get "Couldn't verify device Unknown error(-1)".

I used my phone number when making the mi account but didn't get a survey to fill out when opting for unlocking the phone and downloading the app. Used the same mi account on the phone and linked the phone with the "developer options/Mi Unlock status". OEM unlocking and USB debugging are both on.

Edit: The app seems to dislike my Ryzen 1800X PC since it worked on my Intel i5 3570K PC.

Edited by Dew
Update on resolved issue

I'm right at about the 6 minute mark in the video where Linus casually says "go back into twrp and install magisk and you're done".  So here is the problems I'm currently having making this work.  I went back to the cmd and typed:  "fastboot boot recovery-poco-f1.img".  This was the only way I was able to get twrp to load again on my phone.  If there is a better way please let me know.  The magisk zip is located on my phone because I can see it in the twrp folder on my phone, however I can't seem to locate this on my phone from inside of twrp to install it.  How can I access this file to install it?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.

I have to say this is one of the worst guides to do this. It skips certain things that beginners like me will not know, is super vague for some reason. I mean if you want to post a shorter video thats fine but this really isn't a comprehensive guide. I have not managed to install those google apps but I managed to somehow install Lineage. 
Hope I don't brick this. :/