Making a $300 Pixel Clone

jakkuh_t

C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery "recovery-20181012" fastboot: error: cannot load 'recovery-20181012': No such file or directory What did i do wrong? the file is there but i get this error message.

3 hours ago, mze said:

I have to say this is one of the worst guides to do this. It skips certain things that beginners like me will not know, is super vague for some reason. I mean if you want to post a shorter video thats fine but this really isn't a comprehensive guide. I have not managed to install those google apps but I managed to somehow install Lineage. 
Hope I don't brick this. :/

I'm having to manually download all google apps.  You are right, this guide is shit.  I wish I'd known that going into it.  I still can't get magisk (at the 6 minute point of the video) installed as there is no explanation on how to do this and every method I've tried doesn't even see it on my phone.  I'm not even sure what the hell it does so I've just moved on and skipped everything after it.  Its not perfect, but I guess its better than what it could have been.

Give this was my first time trying it and I didn't manage to brick the phone you should be fine.

19 hours ago, Bill_a said:

I'm having to manually download all google apps.  You are right, this guide is shit.  I wish I'd known that going into it.  I still can't get magisk (at the 6 minute point of the video) installed as there is no explanation on how to do this and every method I've tried doesn't even see it on my phone.  I'm not even sure what the hell it does so I've just moved on and skipped everything after it.  Its not perfect, but I guess its better than what it could have been.

Give this was my first time trying it and I didn't manage to brick the phone you should be fine.

Ok, Bill, and many many others who had trouble with this process.. so did I.. so here's a list of things that can/did/will go wrong.

1:  The Unlock app process must not be run on a Windows machine running an AMD Ryzen processor. Please find an Intel-buddy and get it done there.

2:  The mi-unlock zip when you unzip it comes with a driver installer file.. Run this as Admin, then plug in your 'fastbooted' pocophone.. Make sure the software reports that the driver was installed.

3:  Unplug the phone again, Then run your miflash_unlock.exe and re-plug in your pocophone again.. or try a number of combinations of not unplugging and unplugging.. and it should figure its way out..

4:  Once you finally get to beyond 50% on the unlocking process (which is where it stops on Ryzen), you may then get to 99% and it might tell you to come back again in XX hours.. mine said 62.. ?

5:  After 62 hours, you're around 2 hours away from done..

6:  Once unlocked, you should reboot again and get back into 'fastboot' on your phone, and then go to your c:\adb\ location and run the fastboot commands..

7:  The fastboot commands, not well documented from the video, or the post links, are:

7a:   fastboot devices           (checks whether or not it sees the device)

7b:   fastboot flash recovery recovery_20181211.img          (you must have copied the recovery-20181211.img file to c:\adb\ for this to work!)

7c:   fastboot boot recovery-20181211.img          (tells the phone to boot into twrp!)

8:  You then can see the pocophone in your windows "this computer" and can copy files to the TWRP directory inside.. once TWRP is loaded.

9:  Flashing Magisk helps with the unlocking process.. to the best of my knowledge..

10:  go SLOWLY inside TWRP, you can really mess stuff up.. !

11:  Once you've deleted the directory mentioned in the video, you can follow the next few steps kinda easily..

12:  If you ever boot the phone, and you still need TWRP, go back to step 7 with a fastbooted pocophone, and repeat a, b, c.

13:  replacing the bootloader with ruthless isn't painless, and then getting to the ruthless pixel launcher settings is even more of a pain.. but it is possible with a little fumbling around.. I can't remember the steps, and would have to go through them again to get there..

14:  to get to ruthless pixel launcher settings,, flick up to get the search bar at the top.. type ruthless, press and hold when the app displays, and select "app Info" then scroll to the bottom and do 'advanced' then scroll further down and tap "additional settings in app".

15:  the dock settings are under 'dock' then under advanced settings, and then you put the searchbar radius at 100, turn ON custom bottom searchbar color, and set it to WHITE in the next box, and then put searchbar transparency at 100.

16:  I can't get the ruthless pixel launcher to show weather at the top of the screen next to the date..   can anyone help me?

17:  I have no idea "what google apps" i really want.. especially since I was considering coming from an iPhone.

18:  Re-Magisk-ing after you get it all set up stops the warnings about this being built with public keys or somesuch, likely to do with phone security measures and detections..

19: I can't replace the default camera app, so you just have to be careful to run the Google Pixel camera app every time you want a camera.. ?

20:  You lose the 'swipe' to do stuff functionality of MIUI 9/10 when you move to Lineage..

21:  There appears to be no way to go from lock screen to camera quickly, you must unlock.

22:  Fingerprint scanning works real fast on lineage, never tried to set it up on MIUI.

23:  I can't seem to find any option that turns on "IR Face Unlock" even tho the latest lineage supports it, or claims to, back to google for me.

24:  why is there no default 'weather' app on google play?

25:  I haven't tried installing any other app stores, but XDA's does work ok.

26:  I wish there was a way i could perma-tether this to my iPhone's internet connection while I dared to set it up..and I'm going to desperately miss iMessage if I switch.

27:  Anyone wanna buy a Red 128GB Pocophone F1 ?  I have no idea if I'll keep using it.. In the USA. 

Hi, an Issue I am coming up against, is when I go running the command (in C:/adb): fastboot flash recovery "recovery-20181012.img"   

The phone just disconnects and shows the "press any button to shut down" in the top left of fastboot. The command prompt returns: FAILED (Write to device failed(invalid argument)) 

I have already unlocked the bootloader, enabled USB Debugging, etc. 

Note: Before running this command I did check it was there through: Fastboot devices   command.

The recovery-20181012 is in the adb folder.

Any help?

(I have Redmi Note 5 CN (Dual Camera))

Which is the Redmi Note 5 pro india but with Chinese rom.

I live in New Zealand and got the phone from China.

13 hours ago, Skwangles said:

Hi, an Issue I am coming up against, is when I go running the command (in C:/adb): fastboot flash recovery "recovery-20181012.img"   

The phone just disconnects and shows the "press any button to shut down" in the top left of fastboot. The command prompt returns: FAILED (Write to device failed(invalid argument)) 

I have already unlocked the bootloader, enabled USB Debugging, etc. 

Note: Before running this command I did check it was there through: Fastboot devices   command.

The recovery-20181012 is in the adb folder.

Any help?

I had the same problem and the solution is actually pretty simple. Just put your Phone into Fastboot mode but don't connect it to your PC yet. First type fastboot flash recovery "recovery-20181012.img" and then connect your Phone to your PC. That should work it worked perfectly for me after that. :)

Just registered to share my issue... Hello everyone!

As soon as i started Lineage OS i started getting 2 Errors, 5 times a second. Just popping up non stop..

android.process.media keeps stopping and

android.process.acore keeps stopping

for "android.process.media" i stopped Download manager / cleared all data and Cache, it seems to be working now..

for "android.process.acore" nothing worked. It seems to be a problem with Contacts app. So i cleared all data and Cache but no good. 
Another "Method" is to rest app preferences and reboot, it didnt help either and now i get the first error again.

I also tried factory resetting. No good.

Can anyone help me with that?
I liked lineage OS and i would like to keep it. It is just a bit frustrating.

Just as a backup plan, how can i get back to Miui? 

Thanks!

For all the help they've been they really should change the name of their yt channel from linustechtips to linusaffiliatelinks.  They get your cash and their forum is pretty empty of help after they put the idea in your head to trust that they wouldn't fuck you.  But you clicked on their affiliate link and now you have a brick for a phone.  Zero fucks given from linusaffiliatelinks

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you are having trouble with the Mi Unlock tool not connecting to your phone check if your computer uses Ryzen cpu. The program for some reason doesn't work properly with computers that use Ryzen.

I didn't want to do this after reading all the comments here, but I gave it a shot and tried to find a better "how to". Found this indian guy on youtube, Munchy, a small channel. Nice and slow and much more detailed. Plus personal support when I had questions. Real nice!

I had a couple of issues during the process, the bigger one you can read in the comments of the third video, user dangoran. I think I messed up there but it worked out ok. Some small details are left out of the videos but they are the type of details you can figure out if you are a somewhat technical person.

The videos (with links in the description):

Step 1, How to Xiaomi Poco F1 Bootloader Unlock; Bootloader Unlock Xiaomi Pocophone F1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtI_oQKyQV8

Step 2, How to Install TWRP Recovery & Root Poco F1; Xiaomi Pocophone F1 Root
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-4n6ElwU4

Step 3, Install; PocoPhone F1 Lineage OS 16 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY9mkiUCXak (instructions start 7:30 into the video)

I used Muchys link to the Google Pixel camera app (they are all the same links with this exception). Looks like the same file that LTT links to but Muchys link goes to a page that looks like the one in the LTT video. The LTT linked page looks way different. Works great so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So...... does this work for a long term?

I am thinking to buy this and follow the steps from the vid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 1:42 AM, jakkuh_t said:

Can we have the link for the ruthless launcher pls

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2018 at 4:56 PM, dodampi said:

Just registered to share my issue... Hello everyone!

As soon as i started Lineage OS i started getting 2 Errors, 5 times a second. Just popping up non stop..

android.process.media keeps stopping and

android.process.acore keeps stopping

for "android.process.media" i stopped Download manager / cleared all data and Cache, it seems to be working now..

for "android.process.acore" nothing worked. It seems to be a problem with Contacts app. So i cleared all data and Cache but no good. 
Another "Method" is to rest app preferences and reboot, it didnt help either and now i get the first error again.

I also tried factory resetting. No good.

Can anyone help me with that?
I liked lineage OS and i would like to keep it. It is just a bit frustrating.

Just as a backup plan, how can i get back to Miui? 

Thanks!

I'm having the very same problem, tried the same fixes. Is there a way to get in touch with someone from Linus's Team?

On 11/26/2018 at 8:12 PM, jakkuh_t said:

We make a Pixel clone with a $300 Xiaomi Phone - The Poco F1

Hi Jakkuh,

Is there a fix to stop the error prompts "android.process.media" and "android.process.acore" from constantly popping up, I cleared the cache but still no good. 

Someone above seems to be having the same issue too.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, ShenPanda said:

Hi Jakkuh,

Is there a fix to stop the error prompts "android.process.media" and "android.process.acore" from constantly popping up, I cleared the cache but still no good. 

Someone above seems to be having the same issue too.

I'd try factory resetting LineageOS and see if that works.

(via the settings app)

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

• 4 weeks later...

cannot load recovery-20181211 no such file exists.

help?????

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few notes after watching the video:

1. There is absolutely no reason to flash Magisk before flashing lineageos, the system is overwritten anyway, destroying Magisk in the process
  2. The stock GApps package has some definite advantages, such as the real pixel launcher, and not a recreation forked from Launcher3
  3. The "Feed" (the far left screen at the launcher) needs the launcher to be either installed as a system app or built in debug mode. 
  4. "Dirty flashing" the ROM is an interesting choice, I'd recommend wiping at least data, cache and system. A full wipe should also avoid a fair few crashes
  5. LineageOS supports full-device encryption just fine, don't really know why you needed to flash that

Remember: If you fuck it up, there's a 99.9% chance you can recover from it just fine, just reflash TWRP and do a full wipe, then reinstall Lineageos and it should work. 

On 2/5/2019 at 10:53 PM, Sk!pper said:

So...... does this work for a long term?

I am thinking to buy this and follow the steps from the vid.

This tends to work for longer than official software, the community is still updating the lineageOS builds for the Galaxy S2

On 5/7/2019 at 7:21 AM, celloh said:

cannot load recovery-20181211 no such file exists.

help?????

You've gotten a newer build of the recovery or you've forgotten to copy it into the working directory (usually the folder with "adb.exe" in it)

On 4/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, jakkuh_t said:

I'd try factory resetting LineageOS and see if that works.

(via the settings app)

Running the LineageOS "factory reset" basically just tells the recovery (in this case twrp) to run the wipe with settings that twrp uses by default in the wipe tab. If you can't get to settings due to crashes, give that a try and it should work just fine

EDIT: I'm aware that this is an old thread, just adding replies so that people in the future can find some answers

Edited by byhemechi
footnote

If you are stuck on the Re-magisk-ing step.

First you need to boot into TWRP using the "fastboot boot" command. Then you need to enter the PIN or Passpharse that you created during the phone setup as that is needed to decrypt the storage. Then you can move the TWRP zip wile from your computer to the phone's TWRP folder and reinstall it using the phone.

The reason that you might unable to locate TWRP folder on your phone is because TWRP is unable to mount the storage, check the logs. One reason that this might be happening is that after you boot into TWRP using "fastboot boot" command you **NEED** to enter the password that you created during the phone setup, this can be the PIN or Passphrase. This will decrypt the storage and load it properly.

You can read more here: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-twrp-unable-to-mount-storage-internal-storage-0mb/

So I got everything to work, Linage OS and everything, but I still can't figure out how that Magisk app works so I can use netflix and the entire Play store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20190610-205709_Magisk_Manager[1].png

Screenshot_20190610-205641_Magisk_Manager[1].png

• 3 months later...

As someone who has never messed with their phone, such as rooting or loading custom ROMS etc I have a few concerns questions:

1. Am I likely to run in to lots of issues with standard apps such as Google Maps, Android Auto, WhatsApp, Teams, Outlook etc? As in will some work, some not work, some have issues etc?
  2. Will I have issues when it comes to system and security updates?

Essentially whilst I dont particularly like the look and feel of the Mi interface, is it worth the hassles and potential headaches to go through this process?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys.
So I did all the steps. But it kinda seems like my Poco is stuck in a bootloop now. Any guess on how I should fix this?

• 3 months later...

can this phone with gapps pass safetynet? If yes how?