Making a $300 Pixel Clone

jakkuh_t

If I flash this rom, would I receive the same software updates as the pixel 3 would?

Also would it be okay to ask for a list of pros and cons between sticking to MIUI or changing to this? It's okay if it's your own opinion. It would just be nice to have an idea.

Lastly, would me being in Asia matter much if I change to this rom?

Much thanks!

I wish this video came out a couple weeks ago. I spent far too long trying to figure out how all the pieces come together, realizing I chose the wrong google apps package, twice, etc. Some notes:

The Pocophone has unusually limited frequency band support. Compare with local carriers and see if you have adequate coverage.**

You probably won't find the (128GB) Poco at $300. I got mine at eGlobal Central for $350 USD, with free shipping (I'm Canadian btw). You can get it something like $20 cheaper at AliExpress; but then you leave yourself open to waiting like a month for the thing to ship (common complaint apparently), and possible duty charges. There's more information about resellers (and more) on the Xiaomi subreddit wiki.
EDIT: Whoops. Yes it is $300 actually! I forgot I got the more expensive 128GB version.

Check the Xiaomi subreddit for information on resellers so you can get the best deal. I definitely saved money compared to the Amazon.ca price.

The main problem with MIUI is that it aggressively shuts down apps running in the background. There's an option to make it somewhat less aggressive, but it doesn't change as much as you'd like.

After that, it's mostly just little annoying things and bafflingly bad design decisions. For example, MIUI 10 by default interrupts your audio, for a whole second, every time you come in and out of range of available wifi. Terrible.

Really, though, it's not all that bad; but LineageOS is still far better, once you manage to set it up. Getting that down, the phone completely ceases to feel cheap or annoying in any way.

Wait, actually the phone is pretty gosh darned slippery without a case (Linus' "Kevlar" version isn't the normal one you'll be buying). I don't know if this is common for phones (my last was a Nexus 5). Mine came with a perfectly serviceable thin case though; so no real problem.

MIUI's gestures are actually a great feature which LineageOS lacks; but you can get perfectly excellent and customizable gesture support with an app like 'Fluid Navigation Gestures'. (Needs root to disable the nav buttons though, and occasionally the buttons come back in some apps.)

** I can't say much else on this, as I don't bother with phone plans, opting instead to use wifi -- via voip.ms (with apps 'Bria Mobile' and 'voip.ms SMS') which gives you a phone number from whatever region you like to make/receive calls, and supports sms. Costs about a couple bucks a month. Even less if you don't use Bria. Like the Poco though you really do need some guidance to set it up (thankfully there's a wiki). Maybe Linus should do a video on this kind of ultra-cheap setup, perfect for nerdy folks who hardly leave home anyways.

Selling phones that doesn't turn profits really is a Christmas miracle

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Really enjoy that smooth-running LineageOS (15.1) on my Pixel XL - except for the complete loss of rapid charge. (>sigh<)

<Android Oreo Forever!>

Does anyone have a link for the pixel launcher (I can’t find it on the App Store bc I’m thicc af)

Just to note

You don't have to flash Magisk to flash the ROM. Flash it after flashing the ROM firmware.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I have the PocoPhone F1 and wanted to know if it would be easy for a novice user to try and install it because I really dont like the MiUI API it really sucks 

Too bad the phone is useless to people who run Freedom mobile

I'm Still rocking an old Nexus 6 with XDA there's really no reason to change phones

I'm running a version of Android 9 on the phone

In my opinion they still haven't made a phone that beats the Nexus 6

Hi! I've done all the process but when I enter lineage OS it constantly pops up a message saying that android.process.media has crashed. I've tried doing a factory reset, but the problem persists. If anyone could help me I would be really grateful!

Ok, just fixed it. Thank you anyway!

Edited by djfanta

1 hour ago, djfanta said:

Hi! I've done all the process but when I enter lineage OS it constantly pops up a message saying that android.process.media has crashed. I've tried doing a factory reset, but the problem persists. If anyone could help me I would be really grateful!

Ok, just fixed it. Thank you anyway!

How did you fix it?

How's the LOS running? Did you notice any decrease in performance relative to the MIUI10? Did you encounter any issues/error so far? Are  you able to record in 4K 60FPS?

just to maybe save somebody else some time:

the mi unlock app DOES NOT WORK ON AMD Ryzen!!! keep that in mind...

i found that out the hard way, by spending the last two days figuring out wtf is wrong... and yea i know there is a small warning at the bottom of the xda thread but it was easy to overlook...

49 minutes ago, bad1080 said:

just to maybe save somebody else some time:

the mi unlock app DOES NOT WORK ON AMD Ryzen!!! keep that in mind...

i found that out the hard way, by spending the last two days figuring out wtf is wrong... and yea i know there is a small warning at the bottom of the xda thread but it was easy to overlook...

who the heck runs android on an AMD PC

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Love the video. I'd love to see Linus do one of his "Standard Phone Reviews" on any LineageOS+Rooted phone so he can go in and try to tweak things that annoy him. To see if it's actually possible to go in and customize a phone to your liking in the same way that people do with desktops.

Hopefully the poco works on US LTE at some point in the future. I'm still holding on to my Nexus 5x, I think something like the poco with a custom rom could last another 4+ years without costing >$500.

And yet $300/£300 is still way to high a price for a phone imo.

I could maybe ..maybe.. convince myself to spend £200 ..but thats pushing it.

i just dont see the value in spending so much money on a phone.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, bagusnl said:

me, lol

Then you don't need an unlock app then. PC android have no locked bootloaders.

I've got a pocophone coming on the way, and I'm considering doing this. However, I'm worried about possibly bricking the phone.

Does anyone have information about how likely bricking the phone is?

Are there things to do or avoid that mitigate the risk of bricking the phone?

(Located in Canada if location restrictions are a factor)

just gotta ask, any reason why the MIUI is terribad?

i feel this phone got even worse treatment than the iPhone xs

you're my go to channel  for tech reviews and i wanted to hear your opinion on the pocophone and some more MIUI cons and pros and Xiaomi

the Mi Mix 3 looks interesting as well, maybe give that a shot

good job on the tutorial tho ?

i guess ?

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.