Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brace

Finally joining the Master Race

2 minutes ago, Brace said:

Last question what is the difference between the 2700 and the 2700x as it's only $14 more?

I'd go with the X. It automatically overclocks, and apparently the new ones are so good at it that there isn't any point in spending time overclocking it yourself; the gains are so close.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I think its time that I finally join the master race as I've been playing on console for about 8 years now and I finally accumulated enough money from after school jobs to buy myself a worth while rig. 

This is the build I'm planning on purchasing later tonight https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzy8sZ ( There seems to be no cyber Monday case deals so I'm still searching) 

I used to be very into all the new parts and features but since I've been spending most of time actually making money to buy a pc I've had little time to research. I plan on getting into all the new games I'll have access to now (Mostly Competitive Shooters and MMOs) and at some point streaming. The only help I really need is with verifying I'm not making some rookie mistake as I haven't paid attention to new hardware in a few years as well as any better deals or value I can get with other suggested parts. My budget is very flexible but I'm aiming for 1000-1300 USD. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.

Lesson #1: No one really uses Nazi slogans to refer to themselves as a PC enthusiast ;)

Your link doesn't work.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

37 minutes ago, Brace said:

I think its time that I finally join the master race as I've been playing on console for about 8 years now and I finally accumulated enough money from after school jobs to buy myself a worth while rig. 

This is the build I'm planning on purchasing later tonight https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzy8sZ ( There seems to be no cyber Monday case deals so I'm still searching) 

I used to be very into all the new parts and features but since I've been spending most of time actually making money to buy a pc I've had little time to research. I plan on getting into all the new games I'll have access to now (Mostly Competitive Shooters and MMOs) and at some point streaming. The only help I really need is with verifying I'm not making some rookie mistake as I haven't paid attention to new hardware in a few years as well as any better deals or value I can get with other suggested parts. My budget is very flexible but I'm aiming for 1000-1300 USD. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.

Might want to look into that EVGA cooler. I am not sure if it will fit AMD processor. EVGA makes only Nvidia and Intel products

Edited: For a few mistakes

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Lesson #1: No one really uses Nazi slogans to refer to themselves as a PC enthusiast ;)

Your link doesn't work.

I think u have to copy and paste Idk y it didn't hyperlink it. Also I guess I'm really that out of the loop, when I was into computers there were far less snowflakes. I'll refrain in the future :)

10 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

Might want to look into that EVGA cooler. I am not sure if it will fit AMD processor. EVGA does not makes only Nvidia and Intel products

I think you're right ill probably pair this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRGC899/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nqe.Bb3TNS8CF With this case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721TZFDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lse.Bb35377KP

1 hour ago, Brace said:

I think u have to copy and paste Idk y it didn't hyperlink it. Also I guess I'm really that out of the loop, when I was into computers there were far less snowflakes. I'll refrain in the future :)

I did copy and paste it. Still didn't work. The "PCMR" slogan was a slight against those who use it; you should really know what you're saying before you label yourself something ;)

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

38 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I did copy and paste it. Still didn't work. The "PCMR" slogan was a slight against those who use it; you should really know what you're saying before you label yourself something ;)

Seeing as though I've been exclusively a console gamer for years that's just what I called it. This link should work 

Just now, Brace said:

Seeing as though I've been exclusively a console gamer for years that's just what I called it. This link should work 

Looks good, however I'd:

• See if you can find a G2 PSU. They're supposed to be a little better.
  • Not sure how your storage requirements are, but you can get a 2TB SSD for $210.
  • Take a look at some better coolers. The CM one isn't terrible, but I think there's much better units that can be had for just a little more. I can't recommend any, as I don't like AIOs.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Looks good, however I'd:

• See if you can find a G2 PSU. They're supposed to be a little better.
  • Not sure how your storage requirements are, but you can get a 2TB SSD for $210.
  • Take a look at some better coolers. The CM one isn't terrible, but I think there's much better units that can be had for just a little more. I can't recommend any, as I don't like AIOs.

I didn't know about that g3 thing but thats good to know thanks, This is the updated list 2 more questions. 1) Where did you see that 2tb ssd? 2) What do you think about going to a 2700 for $90 more?

I didn't know about that g3 thing but thats good to know thanks, This is the updated list 2 more questions. 1) Where did you see that 2tb ssd? 2) What do you think about going to a 2700 for $90 more?

If you check out the Hot Deals section, @Crunchy Dragon had it listed there.

I'd maybe see if the 650w or 550w PSU is cheaper? Though honestly at that price the 850w is probably a better deal.

I think $90 is a bit steep. Depends what you do with your system though. Mostly gaming? Stick with what you've got. Streaming, editing, etc? Maybe consider it.

What's the 1700/x priced like?

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd maybe see if the 650w or 550w PSU is cheaper? Though honestly at that price the 850w is probably a better deal.

I think $90 is a bit steep. Depends what you do with your system though. Mostly gaming? Stick with what you've got. Streaming, editing, etc? Maybe consider it.

What's the 1700/x priced like?

1)650w is only $5 cheaper so why not. 2) I plan to do a decent bit of video editing so I'm leaning towards it. 3) 1700 is $20 more than a 2600 rn, I'm unaware of the core performance difference

4 minutes ago, Brace said:

1)650w is only $5 cheaper so why not. 2) I plan to do a decent bit of video editing so I'm leaning towards it. 3) 1700 is $20 more than a 2600 rn, I'm unaware of the core performance difference

If it's only about $60 more then yeah I'd go for it. If you can find a used one, I'd go for that...I imagine you could find one for a decent price.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it's only about $60 more then yeah I'd go for it. If you can find a used one, I'd go for that...I imagine you could find one for a decent price.

Last question what is the difference between the 2700 and the 2700x as it's only $14 more?

Posted · Best Answer

I'd go with the X. It automatically overclocks, and apparently the new ones are so good at it that there isn't any point in spending time overclocking it yourself; the gains are so close.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, dizmo said:

2TB is sold out. 1TB, 500GB, and 250GB are all fairly cheap(for those capacities)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

2TB is sold out. 1TB, 500GB, and 250GB are all fairly cheap(for those capacities)

Haha that was fast! Glad I wasn't in the market. I've already spent too much.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler