So, I quite new here (Boy I'm sure you get that a lot) and I'd like to ask a few of you with more experience a few questions about my rig.
First off, my PC is a Dell Precision T7400. I know it's old, I know I should get something better, but, I don't have the cash to do a full upgrade to the things I would like to have on a PC.
My specs are the following:
- Dual Xeon E5450s (3.0Ghz Quad Cores, Each)
- 16GB of ECC Fully Buffered Memory (DDR2)
- A 1TB Western Digital HHD
- Two GTX 660s 2GB Graphics Cards (Not in SLI)
- Windows 7 Pro (Dual Booted with Windows XP x64 Bit)
So this machine is coming up on it's 10th birthday, and It's my main machine. I built it back in the 2014/2015 era, waaay before I found Linus's video about "Cheap 8-Core PCs" for those of you wondering. I use it to make digital art/animation, gaming (Mostly World of Tanks...), and It often takes the jobs of wiping other hard drives for my other computers I normally test on, via a removable HHD caddy on the front, and my main file server. This machine is very stable and very reliable and surprisingly quiet for it's size. I do not want to upgrade to a new OS from the two that I have on there.
Some of my ideas (some good, some odd) are the following:
- I want to get SOME kind of an SSD for the main boot drive
- I would like to try a few of the new Solid State Hybrid Drives (At least two) to use as storage.
- Possibly use another SSD completely as Virtual Memory (Mostly for VMs, I also want to test how well it works.)
- While the Graphics Cards work great, and I love the 6xx Series, I would like to upgrade them to at least GTX 680s to GTX 980s. (Although AMD Cards are not outta the question)
- Maybe push to get the Top Quad Core processors available for the LGA 771 socket?
- This machine can (in theory) make use of 128GB of RAM, although from what I've been able to find, I could only reasonably push to 64GB at 800Mhz.
Keep in mind, I gotta push this machine's life at least 4 more years...at least as my main machine. After that, it will be a dedicated NAS Server. If you can think of anything I might need or want to change, let me know! Any feedback is welcome!