SLI - what is needed ?

Hi guys, 

thanks for reading and participating here, really helps some guys a lot !

I am building my very first system with an intel 4670k and a ASUS Z87-K Motherboard.

All the reviewers always mention, there is crossfire support for the boards, however I would have liked to run 2 ASUS GTX 680 in 2-ways SLI.

To all you guys out there:

What is SLI ?

What is needed ?

Are the only system requirements 2 PCI-e 16x slots ?

Thanks for helping me out !

Have a nice day:)

Sli is Nvidias muli gpu technology.

You need 2 gpu's, a big enough psu, and an sli compatible motherboard.

No, you need an sli mobo.

1-Having two GPU's in a system to gain about 80% more performance in most games. That is what Nvidia calls it, it is Crossfire for AMD. 

2-for what you want, around 700-800w, the GPU's and what I said below

3-That, and SLI bridge and an SLI capable motherboard

Get 770's, they are the exact same thing just cheaper

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Ok well first things first.

You want a motherboard with two x16 PCI-E slots, the board you are talking about only have one.

SLI just means making two cards run as one and TBH, spend the money that you are going to spend on two 680's and buy a better single card. As SLI has drawbacks (such as if the game you are playing doesnt support SLI you will loose half the GPU performance)

What is needed is sort of listed above, two x16's a SLI bridge (norm comes with high end GPU's), enough PSU power and connectors and a small driver tick box change :P.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Ok well first things first.

You want a motherboard with two x16 PCI-E slots, the board you are talking about only have one.

You need two Physical 16x but then only need to be running at 8x electrical.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

• Have 2 of the same GPU's

Around 800W PSU

An SLI compatible motherboard.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

• Have 2 of the same GPU's

Glad someone said that

To start you do need two (or more) GPU's but they have to be the same

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If you are going SLI 680/770, go with one 780 (ti) and use the rest for a better mobo. The rest you can save up to SLI that.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Thanks for your help guys !

1-Having two GPU's in a system to gain about 80% more performance in most games. That is what Nvidia calls it, it is Crossfire for AMD. 

2-for what you want, around 700-800w, the GPU's and what I said below

3-That, and SLI bridge and an SLI capable motherboard

Get 770's, they are the exact same thing just cheaper

An ASUS GTX 680 costs 180 Euros, a GTX 770 costs 300+ Euros ?

Anyways, thanks for the help !

I didn't want to spend all my money on one beast GPU, since it was my first build. This is why I wanted to be capable of upgrading another GTX 660 later :)

I could spend 50 more Euros on the MOBO, but I am already a little short on money, so I'll just leave the dual GTX 660's.

Last question: 16X slots are the physically longest slots aren't they ? The Z87-K has got 2 of them, why isn't it capable of running SLI mode then ?

Big thanks ! 

Thanks again, but what does "running" on 16x mean?

Annother conern I had was created at Intel's database Arc-Intel, which says the 4670k supports up to 1 16x slot ?

Expansion Options PCI-Express-Version 3.0 PCI-Express-Konfigurationen  Up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8/2x4 Maximale Anzahl der PCI-Express-Lanes 16

I have searched for the  GA-Z87x-D3H, it costs 10 cents more than the Asus Z87-A, looks better, has more IO Ports and more USB 3, thanks for the recommendation!

And Again, many thanks ! :) 

You guys are totally awesome :)

Thanks for the help, recommendations and advice !!!

I'll have a lot of fun building this machine :D

So I can just thank you for being so awesome ^^