Chibi PC 1.0 - Everything I Always Wanted But Never Needed

God I love that case!!! Probably some of my favorite custom PC's are done in that. Nice  :D

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

God I love that case!!! Probably some of my favorite custom PC's are done in that. Nice  :D

I dont know how custom youll consider my build but ill do what I can to impress with the future updates. Oh and I quite like the case my self. The little bit bigger size is well worth it over the smaller one as you can do so much more with it using a bit of creativity.

Update: #05

===========

While working on the build I thought of a great way to power all of the fan and cooling related items. This however banked on me having what I was looking for. I happened to remembered keeping exactly what I was looking for from a previous build and after digging around in my boxes of extra stuff that I have kept over the years I managed to find. But I ran into another issue straight away the fan power hub has six blinding blue LEDs for no good reason. I mean they are just on when the hub is powered not even when a fan in plugged in but when the molex connector is plugged in. I mean really one LED coupld have sufficed for this job.

If your wondering why I consider this to be such an issue its because the blue clashed quite hard with the red LED lighting strips I am using to give the case a red glow effect out of the grills and openings. I decided to just swap the LEDs and resistors out because I had some red ones left over from keyboard builds and other things. I ended up running into a problem though. I couldnt get the resistors desoldered. This is a problem since red LEDs are roughly half the voltage of blue ones and just putting red ones in would make them go pop and fizzle out. I ended up just cutting out the LEDs, resistors, and even desoldering and removing the 5v lead on the molex plug since it was solely for the LEDs.

Another little mod that I do regularly is featured in this update as well. It is something that I do all the time for PWM fans. What you do is you take a PWM fan extension cable and split the 12v power and ground off so they can get power directly from the PSU. Then you run the tachometer and and PWM cable to the MB so that it can still properly control the fans. This is a great nice quick mod because it removes the motherboard fan headers power limitation and doesnt allow the MB to control the fans via voltage even if it tried. Both of these can be headaches if you have ever encountered them.

In the end I think it even up being some pretty slick cable management in such a confined space.

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9751.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

Please remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

Just realized that all of follow links actually lead to my other current build. *facepalm*

The Parts List has been completed and includes parts youll future updates for. So many of you think you know what updates are coming up?

I am now confused, which is probably my fault.

I do have 4x 2.5in 750GB WD Scorpio Blacks in RAID 10 in mine... I just think that more than 1 3.5in drive takes up far too much room in a space constrained ITX build if your focusing on performance.

Thats kinda why my boot drive is a M.2 SSD.

I can help if you want, I guess. Oh and I think I have all the pics sorted for this build. Now I just have to write stuff for the updates and post them...

I was just joking about those 3.5 drives, I already knew you were using them ;)

I was just joking about those 3.5 drives, I already knew you were using them ;)

I have seen mITX NAS/Server builds but you know their not the beefiest on the CPU/GPU side not do they really have the room to be. I think I came up with a good compromise. I could have even gotten a 6 bay hotswap but since the impact only has 4 ports there really wouldnt have been a point to that.

Update: #06

===========

Just some more cable managements shots. If you have any questions on what I did or why dont be afraid to ask.

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9826-full.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

Please remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

Update: #07

===========

It lives! That is all.

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

Update: #08

===========

I ended up settling on the silver feet and picked up some additional hardware.

IMG_9975.jpg

IMG_9988.jpg

IMG_9996.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Update: #09

===========

Picked up a OEM Intel AC7260 off of Newegg and swapped out the default Realtek mPCI-E adapter for it. This is what really should have been in here originally and is one the one thing MSI got correct on their gaming board over this one. It was a cheap fix and would have been quick if I would have realized this before completing the build because one of the screws in on the back side of the motherboard.

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Dang looking good!

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

Dang looking good!

Which part might you be talking about :P

Update: #10

===========

Chibi PC got its new shoes. :D

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

Update: #10

===========

Chibi PC got its new shoes. :D

And very nice shoes they are. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Which part might you be talking about :P

All of it.

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

And very nice shoes they are. :)

They cost a pretty penny too, so they better be. ;) Computers and their shoes, nearly as bad as women. :P

The new shoes really give the case a nice contrast!

The new shoes really give the case a nice contrast!

Lol yea I agree. Originally I had ordered the black ones which would have matched the case nearly exactly but I think they would have blended in with the case too much. In the end im glad I ended up with these.

They cost a pretty penny too, so they better be. ;) Computers and their shoes, nearly as bad as women. :P

Nearly until you realize they run up a $100 dinner bill and don't even tell you thank you. At least your computer will thank you in performance and sexy sleek asthetics. :P

Nearly until you realize they run up a $100 dinner bill and don't even tell you thank you. At least your computer will thank you in performance and sexy sleek asthetics. :P

Well computers can get you stuck with a hefty power bill if you mistreat it. And women also can thank you with performance and aesthetics as well if you really want to go there.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Well computers can get you stuck with a hefty power bill if you mistreat it. And women also can thank you with performance and aesthetics as well if you really want to go there.

If you keep up with their weekly maintenance. Lol.

lol, I realy didnt think that anyone would take this that far. :P

I think this might have worked a touch better but with a bit worse taste: "Women also can thank you with performance and aesthetics as well, if you know what I mean. ;) "

Update: #11

===========

I had planned on putting the two LED strips that got replaced but im very glad I tested them before putting them in. The one strip was flickering and you can see from the exposed wire, melted plastic, and melted insulation that it was shorting. The other worked completely or not. While testing one of the wire broke off and the while taking pictures the other did. I guess its time to RMA them, again.

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg