I want to use skype in windows 8.1 without linking to microsoft account, just using a random username?

Go to solution Solved by rashdanml,

ohh ok, so your display name is what people see and search for? how do you change that please

I lied. This page lets you sign up with any login name you want (entered under Skype name): https://login.skype.com/account/signup-form?intsrc=client%7Creg-a%7C0%2F6.3.0.107%2F259

As for changing your Skype display name, once you login, click on Skype -> Profile -> Edit your Profile -> click on your name at the top and change it to anything you want. 

Hi all

I want to use a skype account to play on steam but when i try to create an account it wants to link to my microsoft account which then uses my email address as my username :(

I want to just use a username like my username on here and not an email address as my username, any ideas?

Also i would like to use a desktop app and not the windows 8 app?

Thanks 

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

I was stuck with this for a bit as well

Windows 8 skype desktop:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/

Why dont you just create a steam account without skype and add it in?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I was stuck with this for a bit as well

Windows 8 skype desktop:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/

Why dont you just create a steam account without skype and add it in?

Thanks for the link!! :)

what do you mean about the steam account?  I already have steam, thats not the problem.  The problem is that when I register for skype it always wants to link to my existing or create another microsoft account.  That them seems to use an email address as the username and i just  want to have MonkyBoy or something as my username?

sorry im rubbish at explaining lol

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

Afaik, Skype permanently switched to email logins. If you had an old skype username though, you had the option to link it to a Microsoft account (or not to). 

Now, your login will be an email address, but you can still choose any display name you want. Everyone else will see your display name. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You can voice chat on Steam. You know that, right?

You can voice chat on Steam. You know that, right?

Noooooooo really? tell me lol

Afaik, Skype permanently switched to email logins. If you had an old skype username though, you had the option to link it to a Microsoft account (or not to). 

Now, your login will be an email address, but you can still choose any display name you want. Everyone else will see your display name. 

ohh ok, so your display name is what people see and search for? how do you change that please

I lied. This page lets you sign up with any login name you want (entered under Skype name): https://login.skype.com/account/signup-form?intsrc=client%7Creg-a%7C0%2F6.3.0.107%2F259

As for changing your Skype display name, once you login, click on Skype -> Profile -> Edit your Profile -> click on your name at the top and change it to anything you want. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

sweet that link has done the job perfectly!!!! nice one 

I logged onto my original account and i couldn't change the existing skype name.  But no worries just created another account :)

removed  :ph34r:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

MS won't be happy until we have eyescanners and thumbprints at login, 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-passwords-fido-alliance-trusted-platform-hacking,25418.html

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

MS won't be happy until we have eyescanners and thumbprints at login, 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-passwords-fido-alliance-trusted-platform-hacking,25418.html

So if MS get hacked then the crims have our iris scan and fingerprints! Lol. But don't get me started because that's a whole other thread lol

So if MS get hacked then the crims have our iris scan and fingerprints! Lol. But don't get me started because that's a whole other thread lol

Awesome isn't it? I really hope low level API's like Mantle take off, cus my genuine Win 7 partition is getting formatted if they do.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Awesome isn't it? I really hope low level API's like Mantle take off, cus my genuine Win 7 partition is getting formatted if they do.

you mean your going to switch to steamOS or something?

• 10 months later...

I also want to login Windows 8 without Microsoft account because I am tired of typing the Microsoft username and password now, so I change the account to local account, but a few days later, I forgot local login password. At last, thanks to SmartKey Windows Password Recovery, to remove my password, and now I can login Windows 8 without any password.  You can google search it.