[Done... For Now!] Serenity (4960x, GTX770)

build-log-header.png

Hey guys, 

I've decided to upgrade my past rig (which is used for gaming/coding/photo and video editing/rendering/VM, in no particular order) to something a little better.

So here we go

overview.jpg

More to come :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

build-log-header.png

Just a little update, here's some photos of that awesome ASUS 770 DCUII

gpu-compilation.png

So I took out the motherboard, and took some photos of it. 

Instead of taking the photos with my DSLR, I took them with my HTC One. The first photo isn't the best, but I didn't take an overview shot (guess I forgot), but I quite like the second.

motherboard.jpg

socket.jpg

I got a little surprise, when I first looked at the socket, I noticed all the pins were 'bent'. This caused me to have a mini heart attack. Then a second later I realise that they're all perfectly, exactly, bent the same amount. And then I remembered that they're not suppose to be straight.

And back to my DSLR

chipset.jpg

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

build-log-header.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($1205.77 @ Newegg Canada) 

CPU Cooler:  Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($69.99) 

Motherboard:  Asus P9X79-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard  ($579.46 @ Newegg Canada) 

Memory:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($324.31 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage:  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($101.68 @ Memory Express) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($118.41 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.21 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($107.06 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($406.78 @ Memory Express) 

Case:  Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($168.77 @ DirectCanada) 

Power Supply:  XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($145.13 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $3300.57

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-02 19:40 EST-0500)

The reason why I called this build Serenity is:

•  I'm a Brown Coat (or, fan of Firefly, if you will)
  •  I wanted this to be nice and quiet (as this is a WIP, I'll be doing some stuff in the future for this).
Above is the current build as it stands. I took the RAM out of my old build along with my old SSD, to put it in this one (just to hold me over, SSD is staying), but I will be buying dominator platinum in the future for this build.

I'm also planning on doing a full custom loop for my processor and GPU.

I'm also plaining to sleeve my PSU, but I'm trying to decide on colours and patterns. Though I will be getting a new PSU as SeaSonic X-Series PSUs have weird cabling (24 pin is divided, and I imagine will be a PITA to sleeve).

Also, more photos!

socket-ram.jpg

socket-processor.jpg

Applying thermal paste (I did this twice as the first time it didn't come out as I wanted it to). This is also a cell phone pic.

thermal-paste.jpg

test-build-1.jpg

test-build-2.jpg

15" MBP TB

build-log-header.png

Well, today's going to be a busy day. 

Everything is now installed in the case. And I have installed Windows. But I'm not satisfied with my cable management. So I'm going to be ripping it apart today to properly finish running all the cables. 

I've also debated between buying my RAM now and getting it over with, or waiting until later to purchase it when I do sleeving and water cooling. Though that's probably going to be done in another build log, seeing as that'll be in a few months.

15" MBP TB

build-log-header.png

After playing around with my build all day, I've finally finished it to my satisfaction (minus all the little upgrades I want to do). 

And here it is!

build-overview.jpg

lighting-dark.jpg

heatsink.jpg

southbridge.jpg

lighting-bright.jpg

on-sidepanel.jpg

psu.jpg

15" MBP TB

build-log-header.png

box.jpg

This just came in the mail today, let's see what's inside it!

dom-plat-box.jpg

Ooooh, new RAM.

I have finally gotten my RAM upgrade that I've been waiting for awhile for. It's a 2x 8GB 1866 CL9 Dominator Platinum kit (last part is abit obvious, eh?).

Let's look into it more.

ram-top.jpg

ram-overview-dark.jpg

ram-front.jpg

ram-overview-light.jpg

Here's a shot I got of the southbridge (I mean, chipset) the other day that I liked.

southbridge-2.jpg

15" MBP TB

Dat DCUII 770 :wub:

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Oh Yeah bean waiting on this :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Updated with some more pictures, specs and some text.

15" MBP TB

Ugh, dude. Canada Computers has the 770 Direct CU II for $329.99 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=559&item_id=061098

Add tax and shipping and minus the $20 MiR. :P It's basically the same.

15" MBP TB

And it's built! For the moment. Soon ish I'll have another update with the 16GB (4x4GB kit) Dominator Platinum kit though :)

15" MBP TB

looks amzing but for i would properly have chosen the Shadow Rock 2 to match that beatifull Asus WS motherboard

Why did you go with the 4960X rather than the 4930K?

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Great build mate! The photo quality is outstanding! 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

What a beautiful build! That GPU bend though. 

And the photos are top notch! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

build-log-header.png

Hey guys,

I've decided to upgrade my past rig (which is used for gaming/coding/photo and video editing/rendering/VM, in no particular order) to something a little better.

So here we go

-snip-

More to come :)

question what camera do u use to take those pictures

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Great build mate! The photo quality is outstanding!

Thanks man :)

15" MBP TB

What a beautiful build! That GPU bend though.

And the photos are top notch!

Thanks man :)

Can't wait to throw this under water, and then that bend will go away.

15" MBP TB

question what camera do u use to take those pictures

I took these pictures with a mixture of my DSLR and HTC One.

I own a Nikon D7100. I used a mixture of the Nikon 70-300mm VR, Nikon 50mm 1.8G and the Nikon 18-55 VR.

The 'macro' photos were taken with the telephoto, seeing as I do not own a macro lens.

15" MBP TB

build-log-header.png

Well, went to start up the computer today and my HDD seems to be throwing a fit - it's being quite loud. CrystalDiskInfo also is giving me warning. I guess I might be getting an additional hard drive sooner than I expected.

15" MBP TB

build-log-header.png

Just a little update, I think that the hard drive thing was just a little one time event, as everything seems to be fine and it passed every test I threw at it.

CPU Overclocking

I've finally gotten around to overclocking, and I was able to achieve 4GHz @ 1.22v with 50% load line calibration (voltage under load is almost exactly 1.2v). After running Prime95 the maximum temperatures I got were around 68 degrees (hottest core) and about 62 (coolest core). 

I noticed something strange, when I had load line calibration at 25% (Vcore was about 1.19v on load) I actually had HIGHER temperatures then when I raised the voltage. With those setting my max temps were around 72 degrees. Quite weird.

I'm quite satisfied with these temperature to be quite honest, It's abit warmer than my old 3570k, but it's still awesome IMHO.

GPU Overclocking

Now, I have to admit, although that card is beautiful, overclocking is a pain on these new GPUs with Boost 2.0

I actually just left it, and I let it do it's thing. Maybe in the future I'll actually go in and play with it abit, but at this moment I'm more than happy with what I'm getting.

It automatically clocks itself to 1189MHz (which seems to be the maximum no matter what I set thresholds to) on the core and 3506MHz on the RAM.

I get min 60 ish FPS (I haven't downloaded fraps and MSI Afterburner OSD doesn't work in BF4, so I used the built in one to Battlefield, and I'm guestimating (so much wrong with that statment)) in BF4. I get min 100 FPS in BF3.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the new rig, and I can't wait to get the new RAM :) So I might have a few updates coming up.

15" MBP TB

CPU Overclocking

I've finally gotten around to overclocking, and I was able to achieve 4GHz @ 1.22v with 50% load line calibration (voltage under load is almost exactly 1.2v). After running Prime95 the maximum temperatures I got were around 68 degrees (hottest core) and about 62 (coolest core). 

I noticed something strange, when I had load line calibration at 25% (Vcore was about 1.19v on load) I actually had HIGHER temperatures then when I raised the voltage. With those setting my max temps were around 72 degrees. Quite weird.

I'm quite satisfied with these temperature to be quite honest, It's abit warmer than my old 3570k, but it's still awesome IMHO.

It'll run a little warmer than the 3570K because it has a higher TDP, so that's absolutely normal, but your temps are way more than fine. Once you go custom loop, you'll be hitting much lower temperatures. 

On 4.2 GHz with a 3930K, I get around similar temperatures as you are getting now on 4.0 GHz, I'm at 1.305V though, can't seem to push it down any lower. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White