Problems with OBS(Open Broadcast Software)

Baurblades43

So I'm not sure if this has to do with OBS or my microphone, but recently I've got a new computer built and I want to get into livestreaming, I've done it before but I want to go deeper this time.

I downloaded OBS and set it up according to some youtube videos and guides online, however, whenever I do a test stream to see what its like, nothing lags, its great quality, but for some reason my microphone picks up like every sound possible and it has this sort of static that's loud and annoying. I know you can do a Push-To-Talk on OBS but is their a way to make my microphone less sensitive? It seems like its crazy sensitive.. I'm using a Logitech G35 by the way.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Go to Settings
Go to Microphone Noise Gate
Adjust it to where it only turns the microphone on when you are talking

That should fix it. 

If it doesn't, then it might be a problem with your microphone or driver based on, "... it has this sort of static that's loud and annoying."

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Use Xsplit, it's much better.

Well here's the thing.. X-Split doesn't detect any audio from my microphone.. Soooo yeah ._.

EDIT: I'm beginning to feel like my headset has an issue..

Well here's the thing.. X-Split doesn't detect any audio from my microphone.. Soooo yeah ._.

EDIT: I'm beginning to feel like my headset has an issue..

yea probably

xsplit isnt that good if u are doing casual broadcasting. if u make money off it then maybe. alot of pro's use OBS still

Go to Settings

Go to Microphone Noise Gate

Adjust it to where it only turns the microphone on when you are talking

That should fix it. 

If it doesn't, then it might be a problem with your microphone or driver based on, "... it has this sort of static that's loud and annoying."

I'm a little confused how the noise gate settings work.. Care to explain so I can do this properly?

I'm a little confused how the noise gate settings work.. Care to explain so I can do this properly?

The Close Threshold is where the Microphone is muted. It is muted when the sound the microphone hears goes below the level that is set for it.

The Open Threshold is where the Microphone is unmuted. It is unmuted when the sound the microphone hears goes above the level that is set for it.

So you want the Close Threshold to be higher than the ambient sound, and the Open Threshold to be lower than the sound when you talk. So it will only unmute when you talk and never for the ambient sound.

But yeah, I think it's your headset if you are hearing some terrible sound like that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The Close Threshold is where the Microphone is muted. It is muted when the sound the microphone hears goes below the level that is set for it.

The Open Threshold is where the Microphone is unmuted. It is unmuted when the sound the microphone hears goes above the level that is set for it.

So you want the Close Threshold to be higher than the ambient sound, and the Open Threshold to be lower than the sound when you talk. So it will only unmute when you talk and never for the ambient sound.

But yeah, I think it's your headset if you are hearing some terrible sound like that.

Okay, I figured it out. It all works fine now. But I can still hear that static whenever my microphone activates which is extremely annoying because it cuts in and out when I am and aren't talking. 

Okay, I figured it out. It all works fine now. But I can still hear that static whenever my microphone activates which is extremely annoying because it cuts in and out when I am and aren't talking. 

Then that's a problem with your headset or the connection to it (Audio Jack).

† Christian Member †

Then that's a problem with your headset or the connection to it (Audio Jack).

Hmmm.. Well thats a bummer :/ Any recommendations on what to do about this to get a "smoother" voice over my stream?

Hmmm.. Well thats a bummer :/ Any recommendations on what to do about this to get a "smoother" voice over my stream?

Get a new headset or fix your current one.

Sorry, that's about the only solution for hardware problems. 

† Christian Member †

Get a new headset or fix your current one.

Sorry, that's about the only solution for hardware problems. 

Hmmm, couldn't I use something like a "Blue" microphone?

Not sure what you mean...

Lots of big streamers use a Blue Yeti/Snowball microphone from what I'm aware of, would that fix the problem?

Lots of big streamers use a Blue Yeti/Snowball microphone from what I'm aware of, would that fix the problem?

Most likely. Unless the problem is the audio jack itself. Try the headset on a different PC or in a different microphone port (back vs front panel). 

If that doesn't fix it, then yeah, I would get a Blue Yeti or Snowball mic.

† Christian Member †

Most likely. Unless the problem is the audio jack itself. Try the headset on a different PC or in a different microphone port (back vs front panel). 

If that doesn't fix it, then yeah, I would get a Blue Yeti or Snowball mic.

Thank you so much. That was it. I switched the USB plug for the headset to the front panel and everything works perfectly. Microphone sounds wonderful and no static at all. You saved me about $49.00 :D 

Thank you so much. That was it. I switched the USB plug for the headset to the front panel and everything works perfectly. Microphone sounds wonderful and no static at all. You saved me about $49.00 :D

Awesome. :D Glad to help.

† Christian Member †

FFsplit is better than OBS for image quality, but you need to sample at a higher bitrate for audio to have the same audio quality.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

what mic are u using?

G35, says it in the OP

then its just cause the mic is bad. static will be common on mics that arent good

Imo getting expensive mic and using integrated audio is just... wrong. But thats about all I'm willing to say about microphones.

If you still are having problem with static there might be some settings wrong in windows audio setup. You can try to fix that by changing mic volume with slider and enabling and disabling mic boost. I personally tend to use Audacity and TS3 to set up mic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv