Proph's ITX Build Planning - Help Wanted!

So just before Thanksgiving I had to pick up a friend and ended up being near a MicroCenter. Earlier that week I had seen a deal posted on the forum that you could get a i7-4770K for $199 until Novemeber 21st at MicroCenter. It just happened to be the 21st when I was there so I popped in to pick one up. While I was having a salesman get the processor out of the locked cabinet he brought up some deals that I could get deals on other stuff since I was buying a CPU. I was rather surprised at this since the CPU was at a price point where I thought they couldnt be making money on it. I decided to take him up on the motherboard offer since its was $30 off and they had one of the two Z87 ITX Boards I was interested in at the same price as Newegg. So I left the store with more than expected a Intel i7-4770K and a ASUS Maximus VI Impact.

I picked a ITX board because I have never built a ITX system and have always wanted to. Because of that I plan to use a bunch of parts that I have always wanted to use but never really had the chance because I never had a reason to use them. Also I would normally not advocate getting the i7-4770K but there are not X79 boards to my knowledge and I got it slightly on sale.

The parts I currently have for this build are below. In this thread I would like to discuss options for the rest of the parts.

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

MB: ASUS Maximus VI Impact

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb (2x8gb) CAS 9 1866mhz (already had for "reasons")

Decisions, Decisions:

Decision #01: ITX GPU - Winner: MSI GTX 760 GAMING ITX

Decision #02: ITX Case - Winner: Lian-Li PC-TU200

The first major decision is going to be the GPU. Do I go with the ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DC Mini (GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5) or the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GAMING ITX (N760 2GD5/OC ITX). They seem VERY similar all around so I was looking for some input.

The first major decision is going to be the GPU. Do I go with the ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DC Mini (GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5) or the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GAMING ITX (N760 2GD5/OC ITX). They seem VERY similar all around so I was looking for some input.

Asus.MSI is not as good for cooling

Asus.MSI is not as good for cooling

The seem to have the same heatsink just different fans. The MSI also has a backplate.

The seem to have the same heatsink just different fans. The MSI also has a backplate.

The Asus fan is better.

The Asus fan is better.

Yes I know it is and I like it better but everything else on the MSI seems better. The outputs would be one thing since they only take up one slot an there are two mini DP ports. It is also available right now, the ASUS isnt and I have seen no date when its expected to be released. Is there any reason other than possibly the fan that would prompt you to not buy the MSI now and wait until whenever the ASUS comes out.

Yes I know it is and I like it better but everything else on the MSI seems better. The outputs would be one thing since they only take up one slot an there are two mini DP ports. It is also available right now, the ASUS isnt and I have seen no date when its expected to be released. Is there any reason other than possibly the fan that would prompt you to not buy the MSI now and wait until whenever the ASUS comes out.

Better VRMs.

Better VRMs.

Care to elaborate on that a bit more?

More and better phases

Can you give me links to where you got the info? The reason I ask is there are plenty of reviews of the ASUS (which isnt out yet) and I only found one one MSI. Right now im reading the techpowerup and guru3d on the ASUS and guru3d on the MSI. I also watched Logan's video on the MSI but didnt really get any good info from it. The techpowerup review is wuite detailed for the asus but I have found nothing comparable for the MSI. I dont maybe im looking in the wrong places?

If you want to wait for the ASUS card to come out it will probably be a little cooler because of the slightly better fan, and the better VRM. But the better VRM will really only come into play when overclocking but still won't be much. But you will probably get about the same performance from both of the cards. And truly you could get an ASUS card that is a horrible OCer and an MSI card that is amazing, or the other way around so, personally it would go with the MSI card if you want to build now and if your waiting anyway I would get the cheaper one.

Can you give me links to where you got the info? The reason I ask is there are plenty of reviews of the ASUS (which isnt out yet) and I only found one one MSI. Right now im reading the techpowerup and guru3d on the ASUS and guru3d on the MSI. I also watched Logan's video on the MSI but didnt really get any good info from it. The techpowerup review is wuite detailed for the asus but I have found nothing comparable for the MSI. I dont maybe im looking in the wrong places?

Never mind,saw the wrong pic...

When is the Asus coming out?

Edit:You know what,just go ahead and get the MSI one.

I looked around a little for a release date on the ASUS 760 Mini and didn't see anything but I would expect it to release around or right after CES, so mid January.

If you want to wait for the ASUS card to come out it will probably be a little cooler because of the slightly better fan, and the better VRM. But the better VRM will really only come into play when overclocking but still won't be much. But you will probably get about the same performance from both of the cards. And truly you could get an ASUS card that is a horrible OCer and an MSI card that is amazing, or the other way around so, personally it would go with the MSI card if you want to build now and if your waiting anyway I would get the cheaper one.

Id like to get parts sooner rather than later and the fact that reviews have been out for the ASUS for quite some time and there has been no word on release date.

Never mind,saw the wrong pic...

When is the Asus coming out?

Edit:You know what,just go ahead and get the MSI one.

Huh? Did you think that the 760 I was talking about was the sorta small ASUS that was available on launch? The reason I bring this up is thats what Logan thought when reviewing the MSI.

I looked around a little for a release date on the ASUS 760 Mini and didn't see anything but I would expect it to release around or right after CES, so mid January.

Yea I havnt seen anything about a release date either and it was announced significantly before the MSI.

Id like to get parts sooner rather than later and the fact that reviews have been out for the ASUS for quite some time and there has been no word on release date.Huh? Did you think that the 760 I was talking about was the sorta small ASUS that was available on launch? The reason I bring this up is thats what Logan thought when reviewing the MSI.Yea I havnt seen anything about a release date either and it was announced significantly before the MSI.

I am talking about the one without the small peni PCB Extension with single fan.

I am talking about the one without the small peni PCB Extension with single fan.

Saw the edit and OK! I wasnt trying to find reason not to get the ASUS just more info on both really to make a more educated decision. And just thought id make sure.

Saw the edit and OK! I wasnt trying to find reason not to get the ASUS just more info on both really to make a more educated decision. And just thought id make sure.

Well it is not really worth the wait for the Asus.It will cost more anyway.

2nd Decision! This time its the ITX case!

I was originally looking at getting a prototype Parvum ITX case. it would look really awesome but I dont know how portable it would be without some protection and I would like to be able to easily take this system with me places. Due to that I did a bit more poking around and found the Lian-Li PC-TU200B. I choose it because it had a handle a seemed to be designed and built sturdily.

The other reasons I choose the case are:

A standard ATX PSU fits inside (once HDD cages are removed). This important to me because I would like to use a fan less PSU is at all possible. The PSU I am looking at is the SeaSonic SS-520FL2. It is not a requirement for the build if you find a case that better fits my needs but would be a nice thing to include. If a SFX PSU is needed I would probably use the Silverstone ST45SF-G as it is the best one that I know of.

A AIO 120/140mm Liquid Cooler with dual fans should fit in the front when the HDD cages removed. I am looking at the H75 or the H80i. This fitting kinda a requirement for whatever case I end up choosing.

It has a 5.25 bay so that gave me the idea to put in a 1x5.25 to 4x2.5 hotswap that I saw the other day on newegg. It is a great fit since the MB has 4 SATA headers. I do plan to eventually put all SSD's in there over time but for now there would be possibly one along with 2 750gb WD Scorpio Blacks that I have around. If you guys have any recommendations on the hotswap bay I would appreciate it as I havnt looked into it too much yet. The better built it is the happier am, metal is my friend.

Well it is not really worth the wait for the Asus.It will cost more anyway.

Winner! MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GAMING ITX (N760 2GD5/OC ITX)

2nd Decision! This time its the ITX case!

I was originally looking at getting a prototype Parvum ITX case. it would look really awesome but I dont know how portable it would be without some protection and I would like to be able to easily take this system with me places. Due to that I did a bit more poking around and found the Lian-Li PC-TU200B. I choose it because it had a handle a seemed to be designed and built sturdily.

The other reasons I choose the case are:

A standard ATX PSU fits inside (once HDD cages are removed). This important to me because I would like to use a fan less PSU is at all possible. The PSU I am looking at is the SeaSonic SS-520FL2. It is not a requirement for the build if you find a case that better fits my needs but would be a nice thing to include. If a SFX PSU is needed I would probably use the Silverstone ST45SF-G as it is the best one that I know of.

A AIO 120/140mm Liquid Cooler with dual fans should fit in the front when the HDD cages removed. I am looking at the H75 or the H80i. This fitting kinda a requirement for whatever case I end up choosing.

It has a 5.25 bay so that gave me the idea to put in a 1x5.25 to 4x2.5 hotswap that I saw the other day on newegg. It is a great fit since the MB has 4 SATA headers. I do plan to eventually put all SSD's in there over time but for now there would be possibly one along with 2 750gb WD Scorpio Blacks that I have around. If you guys have any recommendations on the hotswap bay I would appreciate it as I havnt looked into it too much yet. The better built it is the happier am, metal is my friend.

The Silverstone PSU is made by FSP,thus I say go with the lian li so that you can go with the seasonic power supply.Furthermore the parvum look like some cheap arcylic thing bought from walmart or Daiso or something.

The Silverstone PSU is made by FSP,thus I say go with the lian li so that you can go with the seasonic power supply.Furthermore the parvum look like some cheap arcylic thing bought from walmart or Daiso or something.

Im not looking into the parvum anymore since it doesnt really fit my durable and portable needs, sorry I didnt make that clear. The Silverstone is a SFX and is the best option if you need a PSU of that standard. I only listed it in case someone came up with a good option for a case that maybe needed SFX instead of ATX. The Lian-Li was the best option that I found and i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas that may fit my needs. Also I listed the 3 additional reasons because I was wondering if they were all feasible things to do in the case. I should mention that there is one thing I dont like about the case and that is the fact that it has no place outtake fan.

I really like the parvum cases if you find his res pics you ll actually see that their really well constructed and quality built. I have also seen some really cool mods done with the mATX version.

Heads up I plan to use 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon High Performance fans converted to PWM on the rad. Please the let know if anything else would be helpful to know.

Heads up I plan to use 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon High Performance fans converted to PWM on the rad. Please the let know if anything else would be helpful to know.

I thought those fans are discontinued?