Simple PSU cover / shroud (how-to)

Squabba

What kind of tape did you use? I've had trouble in the past with paint leaking under my tape

Use frog Tape or Scotch Green (233+) masking tape

What kind of tape did you use? I've had trouble in the past with paint leaking under my tape

I just used regular blue painter's tape

Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that.

this is pretty helpful, nice job on doing a how to

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Awesome guide.  I hope to soon try this with my 450d, we will see how it goes.  I can't decide on a design that I would like though.

Awesome guide.  I hope to soon try this with my 450d, we will see how it goes.  I can't decide on a design that I would like though.

Thanks. Good luck.. and I hope you post a pic when you're done!

• 1 month later...

I have the same case. I'm going to do this when I get some more time and money.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

What type of metal did you use?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

• 3 months later...

how do i measure the inside of my case to tell what kinda cut i need? i have a 450D.

• 2 months later...

It think I will make one for a Corsair 760T case, In my opinion the case looks amazing with its full window panel but the wires at the bottom ruin it slightly. Making a shroud will work (if I make it correctly :P) and maybe mount SSDs ontop of the shroud (like the Corsair H440) and probably (maybe) fit a HDD in the shroud. Thanks for the how-to guide :)

I think it would look better matte, but great tutorial! :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

This would be a really easy mod to do, 3 bends in a hunk of sheet metal, drill some holes and rivets. Paint is purely ascetic [emoji14] great job!

-snip-

I saw this post and made my own back in Febuary. I was just now reminded of this thread so I guess I'll post my picture now. (also, I have the same case as you, excuse the gpu sag)

87DhBKs.png?1

- snip - ;)

Thanks for posting it, that looks really good in your build! It's awesome that people are still commenting on this haha.

For the GPU sag, get a black pen, measure from the shroud to the front corner of the GPU, cut the pen to size, and wedge it between them. Make sure it's level and not pushing up too much. (Also make sure you don't interfere with the fans, of course.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, came across this thread whilst trying to figure out a solution to my, luckily, exact same case; 750D. I've come to realize a solution to an unrelated problem is just to hide everything in a PSU shroud, and I can buy the sheet metal and paint it no problem, but I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I just called my local Home Depot and assuming the woman on the phone wasn't ignorant, she said they will not cut or bend metal for me. 

Any suggestions, or comments? :'(

Hey, came across this thread whilst trying to figure out a solution to my, luckily, exact same case; 750D. I've come to realize a solution to an unrelated problem is just to hide everything in a PSU shroud, and I can buy the sheet metal and paint it no problem, but I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I just called my local Home Depot and assuming the woman on the phone wasn't ignorant, she said they will not cut or bend metal for me. 

Any suggestions, or comments? :'(

I got mine done by a friend how worked at an HVAC company, they cut and bend metal all the time for duct-work.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Us h440 and enthoo luxe/pro users give you a welcoming nod and pat on the back

So luckily, I managed to find a metal working place in my city that delivers!

Only problem now is I need to know the metal gauge...I'm thinking 2mm is a proper thickness but I have no idea how to figure out the AL gauge for metal.

I'm going with aluminum for the metal and hoping it will be ok to paint.

So luckily, I managed to find a metal working place in my city that delivers!

Only problem now is I need to know the metal gauge...I'm thinking 2mm is a proper thickness but I have no idea how to figure out the AL gauge for metal.

I'm going with aluminum for the metal and hoping it will be ok to paint.

2mm Al is pretty thick but at least you'll never have to worry about sag, and yes aluminum is great with spray paints and finishing like other metals.

Here:

http://www.mesteel.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/goto.htm?url=/info/carbon/thickness.htm

This looks like a really good idea. I might add it to my current build ( see below). But seriously, cool.

My Build: CPU: I7 4790k @ 4.00 GHz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 Ram: 16 GB of Kingston HyperX Fury Red Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Storage: 240 GB Crucial MX100 SSD Case: NZXT H440 White/Black

Here's my version.  I used some cardboard to get the right dimensions before cutting my aluminum sheet.  I went with plasti-dip, but I think I'll use something else next time.  I'm not a huge fan of the texture.  What do you guys think!?

Finished before Grommet

7M8JS8Y.jpg

Grommet #1

qWIPGDN.jpg

Grommet #2

O0imrs5.jpg

It's all about that Jace (Define S)

LeRybd7.jpg

can u tell me your thin metal dimension cause my case is also 450 d too sorry for bad english

Nice, simple and clean guide :)

I'm still undecided if there would be any benefit to having a PSU cover/Case midplate.

The Spec-01 from Corsair has a pretty odd layout so simplicity is out of the question (Best I could draw up would be a 5-piece shroud that would cover my PSU, cables and would require me to remove the HDD mounts)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my version...

That is really nice and the texture looks great. Well done!