Simple PSU cover / shroud (how-to)

Squabba

FYI I'm in the middle of attempting this on my 750D...

That is an awesome design! Can't wait to see a pic of the finished build.

Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that.

That is an awesome design! Can't wait to see a pic of the finished build.

My sleeved extensions just arrived as well, should look nice and pretty once this is done.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my PSU Shroud, thought I'd write up my experience as a mini guide-within-a-guide. Thanks to @Squabba for the ideas!

1) Measured the space inside.

2) I have a friend at a local HVAC shop who offered to bend the steel for me for free, so I went with that. Didn't realize it would be galvanized steel, but o well, live and learn.

20140627_202429_HDR.jpg

3) Since this is galvanized steel, need to do a bit of chemistry first to get paint to adhere properly. I used this guide over here. Seems to be holding for now, but only time will tell.

4) First, wiped the dirt off and then wet a cloth with Paint Thinner (the actual guide calls for Denatured Alcohol or Mineral Spirits, but I couldn't find either at any of my local hardware stores. But Paint Thinner has Mineral Spirits in it so I went with that) and give it a light scrubbing.

5) Once that has dried wipe it down with white vinegar.

20140627_203614_HDR.jpg

6) Once the vinegar has dried use an acrylic (apparently that means a water, non-oil based paint) primer. I used two coats.

20140627_203903_HDR.jpg

20140627_210043_HDR.jpg

7) Next I used two coats of my acrylic black paint & primer.

20140628_125957_HDR.jpg

8) Tape out the design you want.

20140628_135842_HDR.jpg

9) Paint in the design using more acrylic paint & primer (this orange over black required 6 coats).

10) I painted and glued on the plastic nameplate I had custom designed and 3d printed from Shapeways.

20140628_135836_HDR.jpg

Note: The painting guide also calls for using high-heat primers and paints, but again couldn't find anything like that except for oil-based products. Maybe it's just Canada that these things are hard to find in? Could've sworn I took more pictures during the process...

And voila:

20140629_090915_HDR.jpg

20140629_091310_HDR.jpg

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Finally finished my PSU Shroud, thought I'd write up my experience as a mini guide-within-a-guide. Thanks to @Squabba for the ideas!

very nice job love the nametag and great color scheme.

very nice job love the nametag and great color scheme.

Thanks, I'll be getting a new video card in about 6 months and then it'll be "done"

That turned out great! Very nice job. The color coordination within that build is EXCELLENT. And I'm glad my little how-to helped you out. :)

sweet shoruds =D looking good

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

Planning on making a similar shroud for my 450D. Going to make mine cover the 5.25" bays aswell though.  Planning on going for a green/black colour scheme with it. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)
5ExJUvh.jpg

Planning on making a similar shroud for my 450D...

Great, can't wait to see how it turns out! :D

• 3 weeks later...

but now you have only 1 fan as an intake O_O , did you  have any temp problem?

I still only have 1 intake fan... no temp problems, but I will be installing a 2nd one later today... :)

I still only have 1 intake fan... no temp problems, but I will be installing a 2nd one later today... :)

wait, you dont have 1-5 c higher than before the cover thingie? cause i want to do the same damn thing with my 750d ...but i   have bottom fans ... so i might drill 2  140mm fan positions because i will loose 2  120mm and a half 140mm  fans

wait, you dont have 1-5 c higher than before the cover thingie? cause i want to do the same damn thing with my 750d ...but i   have bottom fans ... so i might drill 2  140mm fan positions because i will loose 2  120mm and a half 140mm  fans

My temps stayed about the same post-PSU shroud as well

I never had bottom mounted fans, but in that 750D you might actually be able to make your own fan mounts ON the shroud itself... which might be pretty cool. Pun kinda intended.

yap , thats excactly what i want to do :) ^^ i dont know what size to make , i have 2 140mm fans doing nothing in a box , so i am thinking to make 140mm fan slots cause i  will have 2 120mm intake from the bottom and  the half of the 140mm  front fan , good idea?

Solution to all of this get an NZXT H440 does the same job. But this is a cool idea good job!

yap , thats excactly what i want to do :) ^^ i dont know what size to make , i have 2 140mm fans doing nothing in a box , so i am thinking to make 140mm fan slots cause i  will have 2 120mm intake from the bottom and  the half of the 140mm  front fan , good idea?

If you have the room to make a couple 140mm fan mounts on the shroud.. then YES do that! :)

• 2 months later...

Looks really nice, looking forward to making one once my case arrives =)
Is using aluminium alright heat-wise?  Since the GPU fan would be directed at the shroud i'm concerned the shroud would become like a "greenhouse" for the PSU compartment

• 1 month later...

This look really good, I'm going to try this in the next couple of days, thanks for the tutorial!

---------- Alex ----------

Computer Science & Mathematics

// CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHzGPU: GTX 770Motherboard: MSI MPOWEROS: Manjaro Linux & Win 7  | Case: Vegeance C70 | XSPC Raystorm 750 //

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks really nice, looking forward to making one once my case arrives =)

Is using aluminium alright heat-wise?  Since the GPU fan would be directed at the shroud i'm concerned the shroud would become like a "greenhouse" for the PSU compartment

Heat is fine in mine. Maybe the paint acts as an insulator? Not sure, but it will be fine :)

__

looks awesome I might try and make one out of fiberglass

Good idea, post a pic when it's done!

I don't live in Canada, but I guarantee Home Depot would have what you need.

What kind of tape did you use? I've had trouble in the past with paint leaking under my tape

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress