Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Just got into the top 500! And hit 10 million points. The points tracking is really all over the place right about now. It's irritating because I can't track any issues or inconsistencies in my production.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i will join... my current rig isn't ideal and i need it for other things....

but I will join :) 

On 12.9.2017 at 11:00 PM, Ben Quigley said:

Just got into the top 500! And hit 10 million points. The points tracking is really all over the place right about now. It's irritating because I can't track any issues or inconsistencies in my production.

I use HFM.net to track all WUs. 

• 3 weeks later...

With my recent ryzen upgrade I've managed to get over 650k in 24 hours! I'm happy! sketch-1507667449192.png.114446d305e62b8c1f46db9e5151d580.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I really want to help out but I'm concerned that my PC will drain a lot from the wall. Is this as intensive as bitcoin mining or are they on the same level? 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

On 13.10.2017 at 9:18 PM, Hiitchy said:

...Is this as intensive as bitcoin mining or are they on the same level? 

mmhh... What's the difference?

To be frank, folding drains more than mining when you use an optimized mining setup.

PS. You can't mine bitcoins with GPUs

On 10/13/2017 at 7:18 PM, Hiitchy said:

I really want to help out but I'm concerned that my PC will drain a lot from the wall. Is this as intensive as bitcoin mining or are they on the same level? 

16 minutes ago, foldinghomealone said:

To be frank, folding drains more than mining when you use an optimized mining setup.

I do folding, boincing, and mining.  If doing proper configurations for mining, you are undervolting and fine tuning for perf/watts.

Folding and boinc are far different beasts from mining setups.  Most setups I see that a super serious about F@H and BOINC along with my setup go full throttle.  I usually have higher power draw along with temps on hardware when doing folding and BOINC WUs.  Especially PrimeGrid or E@H on GPUs, talk about toasty and a room heater.

The whole deal with F@H and BOINC though is to donate hardware time.  You don't have to do 24/7 or need high end hardware.  Every little bit helps out with these projects.  If power is a concern, just run one or two WUs a day.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, foldinghomealone said:

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Folding and boinc are far different beasts from mining setups.  Most setups I see that a super serious about F@H and BOINC along with my setup go full throttle.  I usually have higher power draw along with temps on hardware when doing folding and BOINC WUs.  Especially PrimeGrid or E@H on GPUs, talk about toasty and a room heater.

With 'what's the difference' I was referring to 'Is this as intensive as bitcoin mining or are they on the same level?' and meant what is the difference between the meaning 'as intensive' compared to 'on the same level'...

On 10/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, foldinghomealone said:

On 10/14/2017 at 4:13 PM, Ithanul said:

I do folding, boincing, and mining.  If doing proper configurations for mining, you are undervolting and fine tuning for perf/watts.

The whole deal with F@H and BOINC though is to donate hardware time.  You don't have to do 24/7 or need high end hardware.  Every little bit helps out with these projects.  If power is a concern, just run one or two WUs a day.

Well I was just asking as I have a EVGA 1080Ti / i7-7700k. Really want to put my gear to good use since I don't really game as much anymore.

7 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Well I was just asking as I have a EVGA 1080Ti / i7-7700k. Really want to put my gear to good use since I don't really game as much anymore.

A 1080Ti can put some serious output in folding.  Think last I checked, the output is over 1mil PPD in a day (varying by WUs of course).

Biggest thing with folding, mind the temperature on the card.  RAM on the card want be beat up as bad since folding drops the card into 2P state (that was on Maxwell cards, I think Pascal cards still do the same behavior).  So, OCing RAM is not consider useful.

Also, if you overclock, don't use the same overclock in games for folding/boinc.  Some cards can hold the same clock, but you run the risk of failing WUs if the clock not 100% rock solid.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

25 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

A 1080Ti can put some serious output in folding.  Think last I checked, the output is over 1mil PPD in a day (varying by WUs of course).

Biggest thing with folding, mind the temperature on the card.  RAM on the card want be beat up as bad since folding drops the card into 2P state (that was on Maxwell cards, I think Pascal cards still do the same behavior).  So, OCing RAM is not consider useful.

Also, if you overclock, don't use the same overclock in games for folding/boinc.  Some cards can hold the same clock, but you run the risk of failing WUs if the clock not 100% rock solid.

I understand. Thank you for your input! I've been folding with the factory clocks and have noticed it takes about 1-2 hours between load or whatever it's called, and I have no intention of trying to go higher on the clocks. 

Overclocking Pascal-GPUs means also to undervolt. Sounds strange, I know.

When you open the curve editor CTRL F and you increase your clock you will see the curve is shifted to higher clock speeds. But that also means that for a certain clock speed the required voltage decreases. 

You could also limit the voltage in the curve editor but this editor is quite annoying.

My 1080 Ti, though, doesn't like undervolting a lot, unfortunately. It can go up to 2.100MHz in folding (when fan speeds are high enough for proper cooling) but decreasing voltage is not really tolerated by my GPU. Maybe you're more lucky with your GPU.

I joined in the LTT team!

atm its running on my laptop, so it wont be active a lot, but I'm gonna install in on my desktop later today, then it will be able to run  almost 24/7.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

Doing some test runs on the GTX1070 and the 5960X.

Right now testing my slot 2 1070.  Lets see how these Pascals handle some folding with a OC.

Right now this is on a W7 Ult.  I will throw one a bit later into my Linux rig and see how output looks under that OS.

Will post log file out at end of day for the GTX1070 at these clocks for any interested in output.  Tomorrow I will tune the clock up and see if it can handle some higher clocks.

Driver: 382.53

Will later install new drivers and test output.

Capture6.thumb.PNG.4a4f509495680871cee18ca1fae0d654.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Also got into boinc since the beginning of the week and signed up for the team.

Currently looking for primes on primegrid.

From what I can tell, it's all about the GPU. I did some tests with a bunch of servers at work, and dual socket xeon solutions just get laughed at by a single gtx1070.
Not sure if for primegrid overclocking is any good: the cpu seems to struggle to feed the gpu, as it is rarely running at 100%, and the the cpu runs incredibly hot anyway from being at 100% :)

My home desktop needs a better cooling solution to even run at all without crashing. :(

9 hours ago, jelleslaets said:

Also got into boinc since the beginning of the week and signed up for the team.

Currently looking for primes on primegrid.

From what I can tell, it's all about the GPU. I did some tests with a bunch of servers at work, and dual socket xeon solutions just get laughed at by a single gtx1070.
Not sure if for primegrid overclocking is any good: the cpu seems to struggle to feed the gpu, as it is rarely running at 100%, and the the cpu runs incredibly hot anyway from being at 100% :)

My home desktop needs a better cooling solution to even run at all without crashing. :(

PrimeGrid will load the crap out of GPUs from my experience doing that project.  Usually the project where I see the highest temps while GPUs are crunching units.  The 1070s I have handle a slight OC fine while doing that project.  You just need to be mindful of the temps.  I tend to set a custom fan curve in Afterburner to keep the temperatures under control.

Finally got around to putting in the 1080Ti FTW3.  Testing runs with F@H at the moment.

runrun.thumb.PNG.696b66deede8890cd9bb7bef0ce6b3a3.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Just broke into the top 100 and currently at 196. So glad to finally joint the top 100s :D

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

I just joined in.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

On 11/27/2017 at 10:30 PM, Geralt said:

Just broke into the top 100 and currently at 196. So glad to finally joint the top 100s :D

3 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

I just joined in.

So you guys are aware we have this;

You can post you rankings and milestones in . ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined. Will try to be active as much as possible! :)

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Joined! And sorry to bother, but I can't seem to find the list of mods to PM my info too?

Getting my 2nd rig squared away with a 2nd GPU.

5a406687ae689_Screenshotat2017-12-2421-46-07.thumb.png.8c124f29e48a66778cd220d31d607177.png

If curious on the OS, that is Mint Mate 18.2.

On 23/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, Doomerson said:

Joined! And sorry to bother, but I can't seem to find the list of mods to PM my info too?

You'll need to message @Whaler_99 when you pass milestones and he will give you the badges associated with said milestones.