Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

On 2/18/2016 at 11:40 PM, Deltek said:

Alright, I've just nudged 100M points and am now retiring from Folding as previously mentioned.

Have fun everyone! :)

@Whaler_99 May I please have my badge.

There you go...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thankyou :) ...I'll still check the rankings from time to time..  I may return, who knows, or I may look to another project. Cheers all.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Hello... just signed up for the LTT team. Haven't been folding for about 10 years, but the bug bit me... 

Currently using a dual X5650, cpu only, and a i3 with 750 TI. A GTX 960 is on the way for another i3 rig. Should net a steady 250k ppd right now. 

Looking forward to it... 

Just hit 24 WUs. Do I need one more WU for a badge @Whaler_99 ?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Howdy and welcome to all the new team members!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

@Whaler_99

Am I supposed to have two FAH badges? Is it possible to fix that?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

This thread made me feel like an idiot. I've been folding on and off for a couple of years now with the oc3d group, collected ~3.2 million points, and since it ran fine i've never bothered to look into to passkey and such...

After activating my client i have gone from ~125k ppd to ~450k, so thanks a lot.

Any way, who cares about points in the end, its for the science in the end :)

edit: after letting it run the night over, its settled at ~630k, so ~5x the points

Edited by svinogidiot

i also think i need a badge :P

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Hi all,

Started folding for the Team a little while back, just thought I'd pop my head in and say hi! o/

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=698196

EDIT::

I do have a quick question to the experienced folders out there.

My home server is doing all the folding work on its CPU, which seems to be going fine.

If I wanted to use up a spare graphics card, would I be able to "plug 'n' play" and have multiple worker threads going on the same task simultaneously, or would CPU and GPU work on different work units?

Edited by Saldash
Quick question

• 3 weeks later...

As with many others, I haven't done any of this in years, I see they have some for the phone too, will try it out on my s7 edge, and put in on my s5 as well that is sitting dormant over the next few days. Needed somethign to do with the new 980 GTX that I bought on a whim to play games that didn't require that much power but with a defunct video card, didn't really have a choice, so I went for the best on a less then 700 dollar budget. So here we go!

Got my EK Predator GPU AIO installed last night and I'm back into folding, such sweet temps!

Running a server in a classroom 24/7 starting today. And 2 computers when I'm at home.

Only contributing to cancer research for the moment.

LINK -> My Folding@home page at the moment.

7 hours ago, Blaxow said:

Running a server in a classroom 24/7 starting today. And 2 computers when I'm at home.

Only contributing to cancer research for the moment.

LINK -> My Folding@home page at the moment.

How did you even manage to run a server in a classroom 24/7. The only time I fold at school is on my laptop. My school computer won't even run folding in chrome at all.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

How did you even manage to run a server in a classroom 24/7. The only time I fold at school is on my laptop. My school computer won't even run folding in chrome at all.

currently I'm following a 6 month ITcourse to sharpen my skills. 

the whole class bought each their server to set up a full labo with Exchange, Windows Server2012R2, Domain controllers, ... All the good stuff.

This month we are going over some Cisco, so the labo is currently offline :D 

Better let my server do some Folding I tought :D 

My server is a HP 380 G5 with 2 Quad Core Xeons

12980875_10206444452455698_1574346619_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Blaxow said:

currently I'm following a 6 month ITcourse to sharpen my skills. 

the whole class bought each their server to set up a full labo with Exchange, Windows Server2012R2, Domain controllers, ... All the good stuff.

This month we are going over some Cisco, so the labo is currently offline :D 

Better let my server do some Folding I tought :D 

My server is a HP 380 G5 with 2 Quad Core Xeons

That's pretty neat. I wish I could convince my school to use those computers with the first gen i7s to fold instead of just sit there and rot.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

I think I broke the install ;-;

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys Been awhile since I posted here ...not since I announced i'd reached 100M points and was stopping.

Few of you may recall my Titan X fried ...well a fortnight ago my i7 5960x also died.  Again I can not point the finger at Folding, but i can't see that it helped :)

Cheers

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Sadly I had to stop contributing.

Packed up my house, PC and server included.....

:(

Hopefully I will be up and running again soon. Moving date is TBD.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Whaler_99 Still waiting for my gold badge :P:) back folding for a few weeks :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

2 hours ago, levibaker88 said:

May I receive my badge please, screenshot is above.

Just wait and be patient. :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular