Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

i too just started folding for the LTT team, although i only have an I3 at 1,69 GHZ in a laptop i guessed some extra help never hurts

Welcome to the Fold :) 

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

i cant seem to find a ranglist for teams, i see that the LTT team has done a shitton of WU, but is there a ranglist of some sort?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Started folding about 2 weeks ago, haven't folded since I used to play on a PS3 years ago.  Had a question though, how do I set it up to not start a work unit upon start up?  I'd rather not have a work unit sitting there for days when I will be using it for other heavy workloads.  Typically I only really get time in on the weekends at the moment due to school work and the rising summer temps.  

Started folding about 2 weeks ago, haven't folded since I used to play on a PS3 years ago.  Had a question though, how do I set it up to not start a work unit upon start up?  I'd rather not have a work unit sitting there for days when I will be using it for other heavy workloads.  Typically I only really get time in on the weekends at the moment due to school work and the rising summer temps.  

To have folding itself not automatically start at startup, go into

msconfig and remove it from the startup program list. 

(assuming you have windows)

To have folding not automatically grab a new wu when it's done.

Go into the advanced client, right click on the slot and click finish,

then alternatively pause the slot when it's done, unless you don't

plan to open the client again unless you plan to fold. 

I am starting to join, using the Chrome app. It is asking for Donor Name for getting the passkey. Do I use my real name or LTT Username?

I too eat chips and drink diet coke when repairing a laptop.

WOAH! I am just using a Toshiba laptop haha

I am starting to join, using the Chrome app. It is asking for Donor Name for getting the passkey. Do I use my real name or LTT Username?

That is entirely up to you, some people use their forum name for simplicity's sake. 

That is entirely up to you, some people use their forum name for simplicity's sake. 

Sweet! And thanks for the quick response! I will go ahead and get my passkey!

Woo! Finally on the top 1000 List for the LTT Team :D

http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=223518

Currently number 994 so quite happy with that, will want to get into the top 100 soon ;) 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I am folding again!

I moved to a place where the cost of electricity and the outside temperature is a lot lower than where I was at when I started.

I have to open my windows to get good temperatures otherwise my room easily gets above 80F (26C). Good thing I have windows on almost every wall and I like the cold.

Points Per day is currently at 275000.

I am folding again!

I moved to a place where the cost of electricity and the outside temperature is a lot lower than where I was at when I started.

I have to open my windows to get good temperatures otherwise my room easily gets above 80F (26C). Good thing I have windows on almost every wall and I like the cold.

Points Per day is currently at 275000.

Welcome Back :)

just hit 1,000,000 points :)

Awesome! just PM @Whaler_99 to get your badge.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

i am going to stop folding for a few weeks! here in belgium they ran up the electric bill uuuuurrrrgggggg hate that.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

i am going to stop folding for a few weeks! here in belgium they ran up the electric bill uuuuurrrrgggggg hate that.

that sucks i havnt got my bill yet hopfuly its not to big and ill cary on

that sucks i havnt got my bill yet hopfuly its not to big and ill cary on

i paid 20 euro's more past 3 month's for folding only, this month 30 euro's so yeah so that sucks.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

i paid 20 euro's more past 3 month's for folding only, this month 30 euro's so yeah so that sucks.

if my power bill goes up by more than $40 nz im going to stop so hopfuly it will be less and i can keap helping

A big welcome to all the new members all doing their part to help make this team one of the best and fastest growing.

#25 here we come AMD :D

Cheers All!!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hello Everyone.

I recently decided to use my main rig as folding when I'm not gaming or doing other things that requires the power of my hardware.

I won't be folding 24/7, but something is always something right.

And then I have a question. When I'm folding I'm getting no coil while at all, but I do get a little bit of coil whine (but not very much, it's unnoticeable for me with headphones on) when I'm playing Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel. Is this normal?

Hello Everyone.

I recently decided to use my main rig as folding when I'm not gaming or doing other things that requires the power of my hardware.

I won't be folding 24/7, but something is always something right.

And then I have a question. When I'm folding I'm getting no coil while at all, but I do get a little bit of coil whine (but not very much, it's unnoticeable for me with headphones on) when I'm playing Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel. Is this normal?

Coil whine is "normal", that is to say it isn't a defect of the card. 

But once you have it there's nothing you can really do about it. 

Coil whine is "normal", that is to say it isn't a defect of the card. 

But once you have it there's nothing you can really do about it. 

Yes I know. And as I said it's only a little bit in the Borderlands games.

I was more precisely wondering why folding generated no whine while games does

Yes I know. And as I said it's only a little bit in the Borderlands games.

I was more precisely wondering why folding generated no whine while games does

The electric travelling through the conductors create a magnetic field and can make the conductors vibrate. 

When the vibration is very quick you'll hear the high pitch coil whine.

Linus has a TechQuickie about it: