Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Hey guys, I was planning on making a rig for mining, but I am new to all of this. 

I really have no idea how it works, but if I was to get a rig I can chose from these GPUs new.

290x = $279

290(stock) = $120 

What CPU should I use. Any help would be appreciated. 

You should make a new thread for this and not post it in the thread for F@H. 

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Just joined the team. I'm using an i5 4670K with a GTX 770. Nothing special but I should be able to contribute something. Haha.

Just joined the team. I'm using an i5 4670K with a GTX 770. Nothing special but I should be able to contribute something. Haha.

Welcome to the team! and something is allways beter then nothing in folding so THX ! :)

Currently folding, started today and will fold as much as possible :)

I7 4770K OCed @ 4.4Ghz

2 x R9 280X

CPU says: 18468 PPD

GPU0 says: 1679 PPD

GPU1 says: 1679 PPD

Does that look normal to you guys?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Currently folding, started today and will fold as much as possible :)

I7 4770K OCed @ 4.4Ghz

2 x R9 280X

CPU says: 18468 PPD

GPU0 says: 1679 PPD

GPU1 says: 1679 PPD

Does that look normal to you guys?

Give it a day or 2 to normalise, my 280x has ~100k ppd. 

Does it matter if i have Xfire enabled or not?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Does it matter if i have Xfire enabled or not?

nope. the cards will work on separate WUs

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Welcome to all the new teams members! Glad to have you aboard!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

A noob question.

Now when I fold using a CPU and GPU at the same time wont folding using the CPU throttle the GPU ???

Does the chrome version use my GPU ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

A noob question.

Now when I fold using a CPU and GPU at the same time wont folding using the CPU throttle the GPU ???

No i don't think it does. the Chrome app ONLY uses the CPU.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

A noob question.

As @Raboo mentioned. The Chrome extension only uses the CPU to do its work. That extension gives you many easy WU's to work with.

For GPU folding you need the F@H client. That will give you much larger WU's than the Chrome extension, as well as giving you the ability to Fold with your graphics card.

I myself use the client only for my GPU and CPU. But you could run the client so that you can fold with your GPU, and use Chrome for CPU folding. Either works, really.

As @Raboo mentioned. The Chrome extension only uses the CPU to do its work. That extension gives you many easy WU's to work with.

For GPU folding you need the F@H client. That will give you much larger WU's than the Chrome extension, as well as giving you the ability to Fold with your graphics card.

I myself use the client only for my GPU and CPU. But you could run the client so that you can fold with your GPU, and use Chrome for CPU folding. Either works, really.

So no throttling as nemo said ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

When folding with the full FAH client and doing both CPU and GPU, the CPU takes a minor hit. GPU Folding does use some CPU resources. Depending on your card and the WU you get, this can vary.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

A noob question.

The folding client will leave a thread open for the gpu slot by default

if it detects a gpu. While it won't necessarily throttle you might see a

few/couple seconds more TPF on the gpu slot while cpu folding. it

shouldn't make a big impact but you will likely see a difference. 

the only cpu  folding i can do that doesn't hit the gpu TPF is light

chrome folding.. 

Just joined the team! Hopefully i can do something good hahah ;) will try to fold everyday for 16+hours full fold. currently folding for Cancer.

Just joined the team! Hopefully i can do something good hahah ;) will fold everyday for 16+hours full fold. currently folding for Cancer.

Welcome to the Fold :)

I actually started folding a couple of days ago on my own as I didn't realize I could join up with the LTT team.  :lol: 

So I'm all signed up with the LTT team now and I'm currently folding at medium. My family has been wracked with all four of the diseases that this is aiming to research (Huntington's, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Cancer), so this helps me just as much as it helps other people. Worthy cause imho.  B)

Hand of Nod: i7-4790K, 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, MSI Gaming 5 Z97 mobo, LEPA 120mm red LED fans (x3) Corsair SPEC-03 case, Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor, Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD (x2)

Just joined the team! Hopefully i can do something good hahah ;) will fold everyday for 16+hours full fold. currently folding for Cancer.

I actually started folding a couple of days ago.

Nice ;) good going, welcome to the team!

Nice ;) good going, welcome to the team!

Ser at du er norsk så skriver på norsk, hva skjer hvis jeg stopper å folde når både cpu og gpu`en ikke er ferdig med å folde, altså 50% til 100 ect. mister jeg points og annet?. 

Ser at du er norsk så skriver på norsk, hva skjer hvis jeg stopper å folde når både cpu og gpu`en ikke er ferdig med å folde, altså 50% til 100 ect. mister jeg points og annet?. 

Tror ikke whaler setter pris på at vi skriver på norsk men :P

Det er ikke farlig med mindre du overskrider deadlinen, endel

wu's følger det såkalte "QRB" eller quick return bonus poeng

systemet, det vil si. Desto raskere du laster den opp desto

mer poeng får du tilslutt. I de tilfellene kommer du til å få

mindre poeng hvis du tar en pause halvveis, men du "mister"

ikke poeng direkte.  

Ellers er det bare å pause ivei, men prøv å fullfør de før timeout.

@GlassBomb   :ph34r: :ph34r:

Every Working Unit comes with a deadline. And the sooner you turn in the WU given to you, the more points you will earn via the Quick Return Bonus.

So if you pause WU's then the QRB decreases. 

Tror ikke whaler setter pris på at vi skriver på norsk men :P

Det er ikke farlig med mindre du overskrider deadlinen, endel

wu's følger det såkalte "QRB" eller quick return bonus poeng

systemet, det vil si. Desto raskere du laster den opp desto

mer poeng får du tilslutt. I de tilfellene kommer du til å få

mindre poeng hvis du tar en pause halvveis, men du "mister"

ikke poeng direkte.  

Ellers er det bare å pause ivei, men prøv å fullfør de før timeout.

Ah!! tusen takk for meget godt svar. hvor ser jeg tiden før timeout?

Whaler bryr seg ikke  ;)

Every Working Unit comes with a deadline. And the sooner you turn in the WU given to you, the more points you will earn via the Quick Return Bonus.

So if you pause WU's then the QRB decreases. 

Holy shit, you just used google translater :)

Edit, you Norwegian?

Holy shit, you just used google translater :)

Edit, you Norwegian?

I'm a Swede. I got the gist of what you were saying.

But Yeah. As Tobben were saying. You don't really lose points. You just don't earn extra points for finishing it faster. As long as it's within the deadline.