Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Joined today as SkyFall, still see no contributes to the team, can someone confirm...?

Welcome to the Fold :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Guys just joint up recently and my system keeps crashing with some WHEA Error BSOD

on Low, it happens rarely
Medium and High causes the system to crash within minutes each time

anyone have any ideas ?

Guys just joint up recently and my system keeps crashing with some WHEA Error BSOD

anyone have any ideas ?

Welcome to the Fold!

And do you have your system overclocked in any kind of way? There could also be some instability with your PSU.

anyone have any ideas ?

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Welcome to the Fold!

And do you have your system overclocked in any kind of way? There could also be some instability with your PSU.

Did some further experiments

No overclock

At light it uses 80% of my processor, medium and high cap it off at 100%

and when I start doing something the process competes for resources and it crashes

Longest stable run I've had so far is by, setting it to medium and not doing anything else, quitting other processes

Keeps it chugging along at 80% 

Did some further experiments

No overclock

At light it uses 80% of my processor, medium and high cap it off at 100%

and when I start doing something the process competes for resources and it crashes

Longest stable run I've had so far is by, setting it to medium and not doing anything else, quitting other processes

Keeps it chugging along at 80% 

Make a new thread for it, i get the feeling this isn't going

to be solved in one step. It's good that it is running stable,

but those load numbers are out of whack. 

in the meantime you could try a bios update, check your

cpu temps. Check if it only crashes in folding or if it crashes

with normal stress tests aswell, is your vcore on auto?.

Consider moving it to the troubleshooting section depending

on your results.

Just joined  :)

I really should have joined a long time ago so you all have my sincerest apologies.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

I really should have joined a long time ago so you all have my sincerest apologies.

Lol, welcome to the team! good to have you aboard. 

In the tips & tricks it mentions beta WU, do you get more points for that?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

In the tips & tricks it mentions beta WU, do you get more points for that?

I don't know how up to date the FAQ is, but no. You 

could however potentially run into problems and/or

receive no points. In the past when core 17 wasn't

in full release, you needed to enable advanced to

receive them. And you can probably imagine alot

of people doing that because of the absurd amount 

of points core17 gives compared to 15/16

ESPECIALLY on AMD.

But core 17 is in full release and beta/advanced has

changed since then. Just fyi, you already get a high

ppd output from your two 970's :P I set up a 3k$ 

machine to achieve the same just a year ago.

q

Can't blame me for wanting more points :P

TY btw for all your help you've given me so far.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think I should post here and mention something to everyone:

If you have a Maxwell card, open up F@H & GPU-Z and see if your VRAM is boosting all the way whilst folding.   If it isn't boosting to 1752.8 MHz in GPU-Z, it's not fully boosting because your card is in P2 Power-state.

If it's not fully boosting, go and get "nvidia inspector" http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

Once you have it open, click on "overclocking mode" and click the dropdown menu that says "Performance Level 3"   click on "Performance Level 2" and slowly turn up the memory clock offset until you get to +3505 mhz, it will fix your VRAM boosting issue.  (It will read 1752.8 in GPU-Z afterwards)

This should give you more PPD afterwards, seeing as you went from 6004 to 7010 MHz on the VRAM.

Afterburner will not work, as it only changes P3 state, not P2.

@Whaler_99 I'm unsure if you want to mention this in a topic somewhere, it seems to be a known issue with F@H & BOINC with 970/980 cards.   (Or if this is good enough here)

I think I should post here and mention something to everyone:

If you have a Maxwell card, open up F@H & GPU-Z and see if your VRAM is boosting all the way whilst folding.   If it isn't boosting to 1752.8 MHz in GPU-Z, it's not fully boosting because your card is in P2 Power-state.

If it's not fully boosting, go and get "nvidia inspector" http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

Once you have it open, click on "overclocking mode" and click the dropdown menu that says "Performance Level 3"   click on "Performance Level 2" and slowly turn up the memory clock offset until you get to +3505 mhz, it will fix your VRAM boosting issue.  (It will read 1752.8 in GPU-Z afterwards)

This should give you more PPD afterwards, seeing as you went from 6004 to 7010 MHz on the VRAM.

Afterburner will not work, as it only changes P3 state, not P2.

@Whaler_99 I'm unsure if you want to mention this in a topic somewhere, it seems to be a known issue with F@H & BOINC with 970/980 cards.   (Or if this is good enough here)

Added to the FAQ - thanks!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

got my issue sorted out - sort of

disabled CPU Folding and had no crashes for the past few days.
my 970 is crushing through with no issues 14WUs in just the past 3 days

got my issue sorted out - sort of

disabled CPU Folding and had no crashes for the past few days.

my 970 is crushing through with no issues 14WUs in just the past 3 days

well yeah, that error seems to usually be cpu related... i would

do some proper cpu stability testing to see if you got a faulty 

system or not, it might affect more than folding. And check

your temps.

I would throw together a thread in the troubleshooting section

if i were you, it's good that it's kinda working temporarily though :P

I joined a couple of days ago too.

If we keep it up we should pass Anandtech by the end of this weekend, and Tom's Hardware by the end of next weekend.

Not an overly competitive person myself, but this is applause worthy.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I like them 18 units, running 347.25 drivers at the moment. Are any older drivers doing better with the 18's ? Keeping over 200k ppd

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

I like them 18 units, running 347.25 drivers at the moment. Are any older drivers doing better with the 18's ? Keeping over 200k ppd

My 2 GTX 660 ti's are getting 140k ppd with core 18. And my 2 7970's are getting like 310k ppd with core 17.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Hey everyone! I just started folding about a week ago and everything was working fine but now for some reason when I open up advanced control its stuck on trying to connect and wont give me options about folding. The web controls work fine tho, I just prefer using advanced control. Anyone know how I can fix it? I`ve already tried re-installing. 

Hey everyone! I just started folding about a week ago and everything was working fine but now for some reason when I open up advanced control its stuck on trying to connect and wont give me options about folding. The web controls work fine tho, I just prefer using advanced control. Anyone know how I can fix it? I`ve already tried re-installing. 

Did you choose to remove  the data when you uninstalled it?

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Did you choose to remove  the data when you uninstalled it?

Wow I can`t believe I missed that  -_- thanks its working now!