1Gb\s not working properly!

randrei

So, my isp recently added 2 new plans:

500Mb\s

and

1000Mb\s

I opted for the 1Gb and i'm having many problems whit it.

My router is the TP-Link WR1043ND, and here are my questions.

1. In simple terms, what is IPv6 (my router doesn't support it but my isp does) and can it in any way limit my connection? I tried searching for what IPv6 means but my english is no where near the level i need to understand it

2. Do i need an SSD to take advantage of the 1Gb/s ? My HDD is the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB 64MB

3. Here is a recent speedtest

3149137429.png

I know ISP's say "UP TO" but this is no where near 1000Mb/s, shod i just downgrade to the 500Mb/s plan?

4. AND FINALLY, here are my latest speedtests

3149667480.png

3149672701.png

It may be the router? do i need to do something to activate the 1Gb/s option?

not very 1gigabitish. and here is what i'm certain of: The cables are fine, the router is 1Gbs and when i check the status on the ethernet adapter (killer e2200 on my msi z87 GD65 motherboard) it does say 1Gbps at Speed:

Cold there be a problem in the router? 

Thank you!!

Haed drtives have nothing to do with internet speeds, and if i were you, I would just buy a new router

Edit : It could be the modem. What modem do you have?

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

oh, so in no way is it possible that my hard drive doesn't keep up whit the 1gb/s.

I just got the router a few hours ago and i am unable to return it.  and i'm sure at some point it did go over 100Mb/s with it. not sure what it's stopping it now, i did nothing special in particular

thanks for your answer

The easiest way to tell if its a router issue is just to bypass the router altogether for testing purposes.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Are you connecting over wi-fi?  Im typing...gimme one min..

The way that im connected to the internet is

Cable from the wall - To a modem - Ethernet from modem to - The wi-fi router - then the Ethernet from the wi-fi router to my pc

How is yours set up?

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Well, i just retested the router to the factory settings, i think the problem came when i installed the latest firmware. 

Here is the latest speedtest: 

*For some reason speedtest hangs on upload, i think it might be the fact that i just restarted my internet connection and it usualy takes 15-30 mins until it works properly again, as for the speed, my latest speedtest showed around 600Mbs

Still not very gigabitish... what cold limit my speed in such a way? 

Atlantisman, i did try that and my results are similar to the one i just posted.

NohbdyKnows, I do not have a modem, All i have is a ethernet cable witch connects to my wireless router in the wan port, and another cable comes to my pc from the nr 1 port on the router.

Well, i just retested the router to the factory settings, i think the problem came when i installed the latest firmware. 

Here is the latest speedtest: 

*For some reason speedtest hangs on upload, i think it might be the fact that i just restarted my internet connection and it usualy takes 15-30 mins until it works properly again, as for the speed, my latest speedtest showed around 600Mbs

Still not very gigabitish... what cold limit my speed in such a way? 

Atlantisman, i did try that and my results are similar to the one i just posted.

NohbdyKnows, I do not have a modem, All i have is a ethernet cable witch connects to my wireless router in the wan port, and another cable comes to my pc from the nr 1 port on the router.

Then it must be the ISP. Around what time is it there in Romania?

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

8:34 in the morning, i think they open their call center at around 9:00, when i call them, what exactly shod i ask? as i'm sure all i will get is a generic answer.

Also i wold like to take the time to thank you for helping me out with this.

8:34 in the morning, i think they open their call center at around 9:00, when i call them, what exactly shod i ask? as i'm sure all i will get is a generic answer.

Also i wold like to take the time to thank you for helping me out with this.

No problem :D

I would wait it out throughout the day and test the connection every 15 minutes, and tomorrow (If it's still acting up) call them.

ATM i have 25 Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up, in the middle of the day my connection goes down to 2 down and .5 up until like 1 in the morning. It really varies on the amount of people using that ISP, and how many electronics are connected in said area.

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

IPv6 is the new version of the IP protocol that was created to replace IPv4 used today due to its address exhaustion, it does not influence speed in any way.
(IPv4 address looks like this: 123.123.123.123, a v6 address is more complex: 2001:0db8:85a3:0042:1000:8a2e:0370:7334)

Get rid of your router it is the bottleneck, either buy a beast and i mean a beast router or build a pfsense box. Normal routers will crumble at these kinds of speeds. I have a 100 mbps connection and ive had 3 consumer routers all started doing weird things within the first month.

Since when did RO start offering these speeds ?

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Fiber 100Mb/s since 2008 1Gb/s since a few months back. And i need to brag because it only costs 18$ with unlimited bandwidth.

The thing is, i still get around the same speeds even without the router, it might be the isp, ill call them after i get a friend to come over with his pc to test, it cold also be my "special" ethernet killer e2200.

NEW PROBLEM: My router, i think it limits my connection to 100Mb/s and i think it gets triggered by changing some of it's settings, like shuting it down and powering it back on, for instance the last thing i did was portforword for my teamspeak server and suddently i can't get over 100Mb/s. If i restart it to factory settings it works but something triggers it to go back to 100Mb/s eventualy. anyone having similar problems?

Wow i pay 10$ for mine, damn you Romanian guys are catching up with us Lithuanian guys big time :(:D

Firewall rules (NAT in your case) can cause more usage on the CPU which can on lower end devices drop your connection down to 100, just a thought since companies don't expect you to have such a connection and the gigabit functionality is more intended for LAN.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

So, my isp recently added 2 new plans:

500Mb\s

and

1000MB\s

I opted for the 1Gb and i'm having many problems whit it.

My router is the TP-Link WR1043ND, and here are my questions.

1. In simple terms, what is IPv6 (my router doesn't support it but my isp does) and can it in any way limit my connection? I tried searching for what IPv6 means but my english is no where near the level i need to understand it

You are mixing Mb/s and MB/s. These two are different things and the cause of a lot of confusion regarding network speeds. Not really relevant to your issue but please keep that in mind. 8 Mb/s is the same as 1MB/s.

In simple terms? IPv6 is the protocol that lets the router know where to send packets to arrive to your computer. Think of it as your address when you get mail. Chances are you are currently using IPv4 and it does not really matter as far as speeds goes.

2. Do i need an SSD to take advantage of the 1Gb/s ? My HDD is the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB 64MB

No. Your HDD might not be able to write data at 1Gbps (my Samsung F3 1TB can only write at ~0.97Gb/s) but you don't have to worry. When you load web pages they get saved in RAM and that can read and write at over 100Gb/s in most modern computers. You don't have to worry about stuff like when you download a game either since you will rarely be able to max out your connection in those situations. Stuff also gets cached to RAM before being written so even if you for a brief moment achieves download speeds faster than your HDD can write it will just stay in RAM for a little while longer than it otherwise would have.

3. Here is a recent speedtest

3149137429.png

I know ISP's say "UP TO" but this is no where near 1000Mb/s, shod i just downgrade to the 500Mb/s plan?

4. AND FINALLY, here are my latest speedtests

3149667480.png

3149672701.png

It may be the router? do i need to do something to activate the 1Gb/s option?

not very 1gigabitish. and here is what i'm certain of: The cables are fine, the router is 1GB and when i check the status on the ethernet adapter (killer e2200 on my msi z87 GD65 motherboard) it does say 1GB at Speed:

Cold there be a problem in the router? 

Thank you!!

Those are really strange results. Your latency is really high for being fiber (21ms? It should be like the middle result with 2ms at all times), and the last 2 tests are not anywhere near gigabit speeds.

The first test you ran looks like what I would expect from a gigabit connection (but I expect the latency to be much lower). Try plugging your computer straight into the wall without a router. I don't think your router should bottleneck you since it supports gigabit Ethernet, but it might be acting up for some reason. You didn't change cable or network card between the first and the second/third test, right?

rufee, if i turn  NAT off the internet stops working, and i'm not entirely sure if i turned it off correctly, i get 2 options:

Current NAT Status:  Enable  Disable

Current Hardware NAT Status:  Enable  Disable

I put them both on disable and the ineternet stops working.

I am using PPPoE to connect btw.

LAwLz, sorry for the confusion, adopting to my new mechanical keyboard is not as easy as i tough it wold be, i'm having a hard time releasing the shift button after i press it :D

As for the ping that was because it was a far away server.

As you can see from the results, the one i get 2ms from is about 10KM away and the one i get 22 is about 170KM away.

And for some reason my connection is still limited to 100Mb/s, and i can't figure out why. I will unplug the router now, do stuff and see if it still limits it to 100 even without the router, if so, then it's defenetly an isp problem.

Edit: Tests with the router unplugged:

3151409291.png

3151413251.png

Anddddddddd while speedtesting... I'm back to 100MB/s. so this is either my killer e2200 beeing super useless and buggy, or having isp problems

3151415627.png

With you having Gigabit, I would buy one of the best routers that you can

Just about anything over 150 will do nice. But for the best experience with Gigabit Wi-Fi, I would look at this.

Asus RT-AC68U Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

It's worth every penny. :D

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

More than likely your router is not able to handle Gigabit connectivity. It is probably a 10/100 device (as shown by your speed being 94.38 when its plugged in). Or the gigabit interface can't handle the traffic for some reason.

Buy a high end Gigabit router.

Also upgrade your modem. It is probably able to handle gigabit but it is throttling your bandwidth (as show by sub 700 speeds).

Also your speed will fluctuate during peak usage hours. Especially if your ISP is oversold (too many clients on too small infrastructure).

Hope this helps!

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

guys, once again, thank you so much for taking the time to sort this.

I am pretty sure i have some mental problems since i just can't drop this and get a new router. My router: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND#fea Seems to be perfectly capable of supporting this kind of connection. My ISP also gives us a router for the gigabit connection but mine will only arrive next year. One of them is a ZTE router and some posted on forums that they got This one :http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600 witch seems pretty similar to mine but it might be possible that people who opt for the 500Mb/s connection get this. 

Also getting a new rotuter is way out of my budget since i only make about 250$ a month. and the router you posted is 297$ in my country.

I find it ridiculous how much this problem bugs me :o

Also, this is their sportlight of the router: http://www.tp-link.com/common/Spotlight/TL-WR1043ND.html?siteid=1

It does say:
With 5 built-in gigabit ports and a Hardware NAT function, the wireless router provides powerful data processing capabilities. Its NAT WAN to LAN throughput can achieve up to 800Mbps+ allowing users to unleash the full potential of their networks.

I'm just not getting that.

More than likely your router is not able to handle Gigabit connectivity. It is probably a 10/100 device (as shown by your speed being 94.38 when its plugged in). Or the gigabit interface can't handle the traffic for some reason.

Buy a high end Gigabit router.

Also upgrade your modem. It is probably able to handle gigabit but it is throttling your bandwidth (as show by sub 700 speeds).

Also your speed will fluctuate during peak usage hours. Especially if your ISP is oversold (too many clients on too small infrastructure).

Hope this helps!

Small note......He doesnt use a modem ;)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

• 1 month later...

Update on how i fixed this problem:

During this period i did alot of tests, whit my other pcs, whit my laptops, whit my friends pc, whit different routers, broke some walls to put in new cables, called my isp, many generic answers came (Did you Disable and Enable your Ethernet port?) and i still cold not solve it, at this point i felt like i was going insane, sometimes i had a gigabit connection sometimes 100megabit and i just got tired of it and decided to stick to how it is. That was a mistake on my part. Called my ISP again whit a different tone in my voice, they sent a nice guy to fix it. He plugged the Ethernet port into his Laptop and boom 1000Mbs. I told him i also get 1000Mbs sometimes and this might be a coincidence. He plugged the ethernet cable into my PC, 100Mbs. I cold tell by the look in his face that he was certain the problem was on my part, but he was really nice and decided to give me another chance. He plugged the cable in his laptop again and he only got 100Mbs, at this point i felt so relieved, he was also confused as to why this happened, it was so strange, he went to check the internet panel installed in the neighborhood and everything seemed ok but he still decided to restart it. That fixed my problem. All the frustration went away and i can finally feel like i'm getting what i'm paying for.

That's all it took. A restart.

The moral of the story? Keep nagging to your ISP until the problem is solved.

3151409291.png

did you try turning it off and on again?

*had to be done*

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Gigabit internet in romania

That's it. I'm saving for a year and moving there. UK sucks.

get a beast of a router, preferly a non-consumer grade one

maybe some sort of cisco business router or some high end asus or linksys

get a beast of a router, preferly a non-consumer grade one

maybe some sort of cisco business router or some high end asus or linksys

Bad idea. Business grade network equipment is very different from consumer grade things. Chances are OP wouldn't even be able to get a Cisco router up and running (it has no configuration on it when it boots up, and you have to configure it through a CLI). Anyway a high end consumer router like one from Asus will be good, but he is already getting the speeds he is paying for so no need to change anything.

• 4 months later...

Hello Andrei . First of all i'm from Romania too and i must say that for RDS 1 Gb/s to work properly you need a Intel i7 processor and a pretty good ssd with at least 200mb/s write. I think that this info is has been published on their site long ago but if you have these 2 i really don't know what problem you are experiencing . I have a 100Mb/s connection and i get 12 Mb/s in uTorrent and willing to upgrade to 500 or 1000 Mb/s but i need another bigger SSD. After my new one comes i will contact you with details if ai have the same problem . Have a good day !