Crytek : We're Evaluating Mantle...

Below is a direct quote from Sean Tracy who's the US engine business development manager at Crytek, yes that's one of the longest business titles I've ever seen but moving on, Mr Tracy was at AMD's developer summit dubbed APU13 back in November and during "the future of gaming" panel discussion he said the following regarding Mantle.

I can't really talk too much about Mantle that's why, so just to get the elephant out of the room we're still evaluating Mantle, so we haven't made any clear decisions yet on that... but we're taking a look at it and it looks good so far.

Chris Roberts, game director for Star Citizen has already announced that his CryEngine powered game will support Mantle I personally think that it's only logical that CryEngine would have to support Mantle for Star Citizen to have a working implementation of the low level API.

Some news sites have been speculating that perhaps the Star Citizen team had to modify CryEngine to add Mantle support, but this does not seem to be the case.

Source : Direct Link or follow the guide below
Go to : APU365->Register-> login->Learn->On Demand->BREAKOUT: GS-4137 The future of Gaming Panel @ 23:14

Star citizen could still have mantle, but if cry engine supports it, Chris Robert's work just got a whole lot easier

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

yeahhh let's go mantle! the more people adopt it the bettterr 

well if it is as DICE explains it like a Module you can insert into your engine once its done for Star Citizen the work to put it in other games using the same engine would be minimal

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

@megadarkwood @wkronbaek @BoxPossum this is what I've been waiting for :3

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Anything to retire the bloat known as Direct X.

and people laughed when i kept saying crytek will eventually add it to their engine.

if activision and ubisoft adopt it than that will be the final nail in the coffin. Either NVidia adopt it or risk losing sales like crazy. Personally if i were amd i wouldn't even trade Mantle for g-sync as i dont find g-sync to be worth much (to me personally at least) but i guess its best for the industry for nvidia to adopt mantle.

@ Nvidia .... time to adopt.

giphy.gif

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

@ Nvidia .... time to adopt.

giphy.gif

Nvidia has CUDA they dont need mantle :| 

Character artist in the Games industry.

Well crytek needs to license their engine so if there is a performance boost it's only logical they adopt it to make their engine more appealing to other devs.

Star citizen could still have mantle, but if cry engine supports it, Chris Robert's work just got a whole lot easier

Chris Roberts will not do anything if crytek doesn't add support, doubt he will go that deep, he has a game to build.

and AMD has OpenCL. 

and neither of them are for gaming. 

Mantle is (not just but mainly for gaming)

OpenCL is on Nvidia aswell

OpenCL = How the game utilises the GPU on Mac/Linux/windows

DirectX = How Games utilise the GPU on Windows

CUDA = Nvidia GPU Cores

Mantle = AMD GPU Cores

OpenCL is on Nvidia aswell

OpenCL = How the game utilises the GPU on Mac/Linux/windows

DirectX = How Games utilise the GPU on Windows

CUDA = Nvidia GPU Cores

Mantle = AMD GPU Cores

Correct me if i am wrong but i was under the impression that CUDA was for work related stuff only (rendering, video/photo editing etc).

Correct me if i am wrong but i was under the impression that CUDA was for work related stuff only (rendering, video/photo editing etc).

CUDA can be accessed fully for Work related things like 3d/video/graphics rendering.

However the Nvidia chip consisted of 100's/1000's of CUDA cores which are utilized during game play and makes things like PhysX possible aswell.

so in that case you mean 

Mantle vs Physx with good performance (since physx can run off the gpu but at a bigger performance cost)

if anything its 

GCN vs CUDA

so in that case you mean 

Mantle vs Physx with good performance (since physx can run off the gpu but at a bigger performance cost)

if anything its 

GCN vs CUDA

PhysX is a simulation system developed by Nvidia that utilises CUDA aswell as CPU.

and like i said CUDA and Mantle are the same thing but 1 is AMD the other is NVidia.

its like SLI and CrossFire

PhysX is a simulation system developed by Nvidia that utilises CUDA aswell as CPU.

and like i said CUDA and Mantle are the same thing but 1 is AMD the other is NVidia.

its like SLI and CrossFire

Cuda is an architecture feature on nvidia cards. Mantle is a software API.

GCN is an architecture feature on amd cards.

Thus

GCN vs CUDA 

CUDA™ is a parallel computing platform and programming model invented by NVIDIA. It enables dramatic increases in [CPU] computing performance by harnessing the power of the graphics processing unit (GPU).

OpenCL™  is the first truly open and royalty-free programming standard for general-purpose computations on heterogeneous systems. OpenCL™ allows programmers to preserve their expensive source code investment and easily target multi-core CPUs, GPUs, and the new APUs. Developed in an open standards committee with representatives from major industry vendors, OpenCL™ gives users what they have been demanding: a cross-vendor, non-proprietary solution for accelerating their applications on CPU, GPUs and APUs.

DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms.

Mantle is a new low-level graphics API.

PhysX is a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK.

So clearly it should be CUDA vs OpenCL, Mantle vs DirectX, PhysX vs some other physics library (Like Havok or Bullet).

GCN vs CUDA also makes sense because those are hardware architectures.

Also, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/3 shows that the Crytek's R&D technical director, Michael Glueck, likes the idea of a low level graphics API.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

CUDA™ is a parallel computing platform and programming model invented by NVIDIA. It enables dramatic increases in [CPU] computing performance by harnessing the power of the graphics processing unit (GPU).

OpenCL™  is the first truly open and royalty-free programming standard for general-purpose computations on heterogeneous systems. OpenCL™ allows programmers to preserve their expensive source code investment and easily target multi-core CPUs, GPUs, and the new APUs. Developed in an open standards committee with representatives from major industry vendors, OpenCL™ gives users what they have been demanding: a cross-vendor, non-proprietary solution for accelerating their applications on CPU, GPUs and APUs.

DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms.

Mantle is a new low-level graphics API.

PhysX is a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK.

So clearly it should be CUDA vs OpenCL, Mantle vs DirectX, PhysX vs some other physics library (Like Havok or Bullet).

GCN vs CUDA also makes sense because those are hardware architectures.

Also, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/3 shows that the Crytek's R&D technical director, Michael Glueck, likes the idea of a low level graphics API.

Well that helps. 

Btw anyone know any games that have used opencl by any chance?

I really hope Nvidia will follow with a technology like this :S

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Chris Roberts, game director for Star Citizen has already announced that his CryEngine powered game will support Mantle I personally think that it's only logical that CryEngine would have to support Mantle for Star Citizen to have a working Mantle implementation.

Star Citizen is looooooong gone from CryEngine 3, they are modifying EVERYTHING to their use, they've already commited to using completely different netcode and material rendering. CryEngine 3 is just the foundation, and all of its guts is being dragged out and replaced by CIG.

Star Citizen will be just as recognizable to CryEngine 3 as Skyrim was to the Morrowind GameBryo engine.

By this point, Star Citizen's engine and CryEngine don't have many matching modules left, if any at all, and CIG can very easily incorporate Mantle without Crytek having to do it, as Crytek has nothing to do with CiG.

Crytek are probably just going to make sure that Mantle has a use to them, and unlike other developers research its effect on AMD cards before committing to implementing it.

Which probably means they won't be using it :>

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well that helps. 

Btw anyone know any games that have used opencl by any chance?

Bullet has added OpenCL support. Some games that use Bullet are DiRT*, Deus Ex*, Trials HD, and Grand Theft Auto IV. *not 100% sure

Digital Molecular Matter also has added OpenCL support. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is the only PC title that Wikipedia says uses DMM.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

@megadarkwood @wkronbaek @BoxPossum this is what I've been waiting for :3

YESSS!!!

Now get it done.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla