how to copy movies from dvds

hi 

I have a crap tone of dvds , i would like to turn all of these in to digital media . I can get old dvds which have low res with a program called "handbrake" 

as i would like to make them digital i need to be able to rip dvds in HD  .  currently i can rip them at 500p with the current software which is free

. i need some software which can rip at in full HD and if there is any free software that would be nice 

also don't worry i have lots of space 12 TB on a Nas so large video sizes are fine 

thanks 

http://dvd-decrypter.en.softonic.com/

And to change file format, or simply save space, use Handbrake to encode.

http://handbrake.fr/

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

That is not legal far as i know.

Perfectly legal.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

i use macx dvdripper pro and it works pretty good and i think you can use it on windows

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Perfectly legal.

As long as you own the dvd

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

dvd decrypter and dvd shrink is what my mum uses but i have no idea how to use them.

You will not get very far making them HD, you have to increase bit-rate when increasing resolution, but because your source is shot in a none HD format, it will not get any better, it can severely downgrade quality.

I use Handbrake for everything video, including YouTube video's, it is an excellent program.

I recommend encoding into .MP4, then using 704 × 480 with a bit rate of 2000 or higher, best results are usually with a variable bit-rate.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Copying a DVD = Multiple copies, and you only have one license, but i am not 100% sure.

I'm pretty sure; UK law (where I live) still dictates that you can make a backup copy for personal use only. 

At least, that's what I've been told and lead to believe, with no speculation to believe otherwise.

The program I use is anyDVD. It can even rip Blu-ray. I rip to iso so I have the full DVD. It works on copy protected dvds as well.

I just rip an ISO from the dvd, its a lot of data, but you don't lose any quality that way.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

You can literally copy paste a DVD. Before I needed to delete several gigs to make room on this SSD, I used to borrow some of my Aunts DVDs and would copy and paste the contents from the disc. It would make a folder with all the data inside. To play, you just right clicked the folder and opened in VLC  to play like it's a standard DVD. Not only is this much faster than reading the info from the laser in your ODD, you also had the chapters and everything.

Yes, it /is/ this easy.

Copying a DVD = Multiple copies, and you only have one license, but i am not 100% sure.

Come on he wants to watch movies he already owns on his PC and the only input you have is to question his right to do it?

It's not like he is asking where is best to torrent movies from or how to crack software ect.

For personal use, non-commecial stuff. Only for you.

What if you have multiple personalities?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I like the thread tags

Workin' the system

My recommendation would be, MakeMKV its free with a paid version available which you won't need. 12mins~ a dvd and you're done. This should result in zero degradation in quality although the files are larger than they would be if you decided to convert it another format.

Use PowerISO and create an image of the DVD. Then all you do is mount the image whenever you want to view it, or you can just extract it using WinRAR

You can use DVD fab to make an exact copy of the dvd folder, however that will not be in HD.

It is still pointless to rip the DVD at a higher resolution than it is on the disc, as this won't make it look any better, and can sometimes even make it look worse.

• 10 months later...

Perfectly legal.

As long as you own the dvd

If you have to break the encryption on the disk then this is a violation of US law.  If you live outside the US then I cant coment on your countries laws.  But this is illegal in the US.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121025/15065220831/dmca-exemptions-announced-exemption-dvd-ripping-rejected.shtml

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Use handbrake. There are also quite a few good guides for it.

It's the best thing for this that's mostly automated. The native resolution of did is 720x480 for ntsc DVDs.