Difference between ST4000DM000 and ST4000VN000

Virgule

Hi,

I want to know if anyone knows the difference(s) between the seagate 4tb hdds named ST4000DM000 and ST4000VN000. One has the "NAS drive" mention so I guess they are made for NAS use (vibration dampening). However, since NAS drives are always more expensive than "normal" drives for the same capacity, and since both of these hover around the same prices, I don't feel there's much actual differences between the two. 

Also, I currently have a ST4000DM000. Would it be compatible with the other one for raid 1 use ?

Thanks,

Spoiler

The NAS one basically has extra stuff to make sure it works correctly in a NAS environment.

Such as running 24/7, reliability etc

The other one is just a basic desktop drive.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The NAS one basically has extra stuff to make sure it works correctly in a NAS environment.

Such as running 24/7, reliability etc

The other one is just a basic desktop drive.

Thanks, will they work together ?

Spoiler

Thanks, will they work together ?

They should, they are essentially exactly the same drive.

Not 100% sure though.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

They should, they are essentially exactly the same drive.

So are they the same or are they not.

Spoiler

So are they the same or are they not.

In a way yes, but one has extra stuff which allows it to work as a nas drive more effectively than a non nas optimised HDD.

I don't see a reason why you can't raid them, but as I said I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it myself.

In a way yes, but one has extra stuff which allows it to work as a nas drive more effectively than a non nas optimised HDD.

I don't see a reason why you can't raid them, but as I said I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it myself.

ok thanks

Spoiler

Have a look at the spec sheet for the desktop drive (pdf) and the NAS drive (pdf) and

just compare the data and the additional info. It's a bit pointless to just list all

the differences between the two here, you can find them if you look through those

documents. ;)

In general, NAS drives have some firmware optimizations which makes them play nice

with RAID controllers and 24/7 operation. They also tend to use less power and are

sometimes quieter. Vibration hardening is usually more a thing for proper enterprise

disks, at least from what I've read.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic