[Halp] Why are my hard drives so loud?

wgtwo

So, I got a used HAF932 off Ebay a while ago, and since then, I have been having severe issues with hard drive noise. It's not the drives themselves that are being loud - they are causing the entire front of the case to vibrate, making a constant, very loud humming sound. Touching the front of the case feels almost like I'm holding an electric razor. I can actually feel the floor vibrating. Pretty sure this isn't supposed to be happening.

It's definitely the hard drives - I tried taking them out and running with just my SSD, and the case was pretty much silent.

Wat do?

Edit: Whoops, wrong sub-forum (I think)!

I only get similar issues with my cheap cd burner that runs super loud and slow. maybe find a way to wedge a piece of cardboard into a loose side it that is what's causing the noise. I might think it would be the case itself is loose on the front or a screw is missing somewhere.

So, I got a used HAF932 off Ebay a while ago, and since then, I have been having severe issues with hard drive noise. It's not the drives themselves that are being loud - they are causing the entire front of the case to vibrate, making a constant, very loud humming sound. Touching the front of the case feels almost like I'm holding an electric razor. I can actually feel the floor vibrating. Pretty sure this isn't supposed to be happening.

It's definitely the hard drives - I tried taking them out and running with just my SSD, and the case was pretty much silent.

Wat do?

Edit: Whoops, wrong sub-forum (I think)!

Hey,

It sounds like the case you're using isn't well built. In the sense that it isn't dampening/reducing the vibrations from the hard drives, as they spin continuously.

All hard drives create some form of vibration which usually in the case design, they are dampened so the user is not aware of it.

You could do a ghetto fix by finding out where the source of the vibration is making contact with the front of the case, and putting something between the 2 contacts to act as a dampener. Preferably something that can't hold a static charge, or in anyway conductive  :P

I hope this helps,

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

That's what it seems like, but that would mean the problem is in my case alone, as the HAF 932 is pretty highly regarded. I can't really see what the cause would be, though. The hard drive cage is riveted onto the floor of the case, so the problem must be between the plastic drive trays and the cage. How could that be? Can't see anything wrong with either.

If you actually knew how to spell 'help' I might actually tell you to get rubber grommets to offset the vibration.

Are you installing the HDD cages correctly? The "notch" Is suppose to go into the HDD cage.

As for the rubber grommets, you need to put them through the hole and push them into the "locking" position.

5wlg.png

Also, make sure the side panels are securely screwed to the rest of the case. I experienced some annoying vibrating noises with my HAF 932 due to this.

Other than that...I'm out of ideas. It might not even be the HDD's - could be a loose fan screw.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Not sure what you mean by pushing the grommets. I just bent the bracket around the hard drive to line them up with the holes, and then made sure they were actually in; they were always in "locking" position. Didn't use any screws for those third holes, but I shouldn't need to.

It's definitely the hard drives - I tried pulling them out, and everything was fine.

Not sure what you mean by pushing the grommets. I just bent the bracket around the hard drive to line them up with the holes, and then made sure they were actually in; they were always in "locking" position. Didn't use any screws for those third holes, but I shouldn't need to.

It's definitely the hard drives - I tried pulling them out, and everything was fine.

What I meant to say is...if you look closely at the HDD mounting "cage" / "contraption" there are two holes for the rubber anti-vibration "screw" / "HDD holder". It needs to be in the smaller of the two holes. I circled this red in diagram two.

The notch that I circled in diagram one needs to be inside the HDD cage.

If...I can upload a few pictures with my own HAF 932 if you are not 100% sure on what I'm referring to.

Also, as I said before, make sure the four screws (two for each side panel) is in tightly, or it will make vibration noise.

Of course taking the HDD out will have no noise - a SSD doesn't move at all.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Ah, I get what you mean. Nah, no worries, don't bother with the photos.

I'll double check tonight, I guess. Thanks.

If you actually knew how to spell 'help' I might actually tell you to get rubber grommets to offset the vibration.

Dude don't be an ASS!

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

Nope, they are, by all appearences, mounted correctly. It really does seem like there's something wrong with my case, but what could it be?

Nope, they are, by all appearences, mounted correctly. It really does seem like there's something wrong with my case, but what could it be?

My fractal case did this when the top hard drive cage was removed - massive resonance that was audible in the room below. However, it doesn't sound like that's your issue. It might not be your case at all, the drive might just be poorly balanced. You might have to get creative with suspending the drives - bungee cords can be useful for this.

Nah, resonance would be a good way of describing it. Did some more testing, and the problem is not in any one of my hard drives. Starting to think I should just get a new case.

Yeah, I'll do a bit more investigation, but it looks like I will most likely just be getting a Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 (cheaper than the R4 here in Australia) and calling it a day.

Thanks for the help.

If you had some flat rubber washers you could put them between the HDDs and your case.

Might help.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS