AMD Clarifies Why Threadripper Uses 4 Silicon Dies

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.. 

So, for some time rumors have flown that Threadripper is made of "failed" Epyc chips, as there are only two of the four dies in use, but AMD has finally spoken up to clarify things. As it turns out, two of the dies are inert and do not even contain transistors. Basically, they are just spacers, there for structural integrity and nothing else.

Many thought that Threadripper simply used 4 CPU cores from each die, a point that has been long disproven by AMD, while others thought that these were "failed" Ryzen CPU dies that simply remained inactive. This left many to assume that Threadripper was simply "failed EPYC" though, in reality, nothing can be further than the truth, as AMD has now explained. 

It is true that AMD's Threadripper TR4/SP3r2 socket has the same layout as AMD's EPYC SP3 socket, using the same substrate design and having an identical external aesthetic. Beyond that things become very different, as EPYC uses four active CPU dies whereas Threadripper only has two, which are in a diagonal configuration to allow heat to more evenly dissipate on the CPU's IHS. 

The question that many have been asking is what the purpose of the other two dies are, with the answer simply being structural. These extra dies prevent imbalance and allow for simple cooler mounting without any chance of damaging the CPU. These two extra dies are not active or even contain working transistors, they are blank and as such are not "wasted Ryzen CPU dies".

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_clarifies_why_threadripper_uses_4_silicon_dies/1

Edited by DiaSin
I had to re-type the quote by hand for font color to take, but I did get this fixed for the night theme... 

Lead me astray.. to dreamer's hideaway. 

Huh. That's kinda cool.

Those dies cost money, the wafers they're cut from are not cheap, the indium soldering process is also expensive, indium only wets to gold, gold won't wet to silicon either, you have to vapour deposit I think it's vanadium oxide then titanium and then gold to get the indium to stick to the silicon die, and the IHS needs a gold plating, and indium isn't cheap either, that is a lot of expense for two dummy dies, I'm not totally convinced. 

Yours faithfully

As long as I get them multi threaded tasks for less than what Intel charges I'm happy idc.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

That's pretty cool

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm not totally convinced. 

Of? What do you need to be convinced of? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Those dies cost money, the wafers they're cut from are not cheap, the indium soldering process is also expensive, indium only wets to gold, gold won't wet to silicon either, you have to vapour deposit I think it's vanadium oxide then titanium and then gold to get the indium to stick to the silicon die, and the IHS needs a gold plating, and indium isn't cheap either, that is a lot of expense for two dummy dies, I'm not totally convinced. 

Still cheaper than wasting a Ryzen die when yields are high.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

14 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It's possible they're using lower quality wafers for the dummy dies.  Just as with the dies produced from a wafer - with some of them being higher quality than others (hence the "binning" process) - it's not unreasonable to assume some of the wafers could be low quality and not worth using.  This would allow GloFo to recoup some of the costs from the low quality wafers, while also simultaneously giving AMD the dummy dies they need for TR.  If so, that sounds like a win-win to me.

Of course, that's all predicated on the assumption that they're being cut from low quality wafers, but as I said, that's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

25 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

It's possible they're using lower quality wafers for the dummy dies.  Just as with the dies produced from a wafer - with some of them being higher quality than others (hence the "binning" process) - it's not unreasonable to assume some of the wafers could be low quality and not worth using.  This would allow GloFo to recoup some of the costs from the low quality wafers, while also simultaneously giving AMD the dummy dies they need for TR.  If so, that sounds like a win-win to me.

Of course, that's all predicated on the assumption that they're being cut from low quality wafers, but as I said, that's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

Yea I saw der8auer talking about it and based on what he said and what I can find on the whole die making process, those are almost certainly "real" dies that are either dead or disabled, as it would be quite expensive to make spacers rather than use failed dies.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Is this why der8auer got his video pulled?

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Could they be using wafers that were incapable of being used for dies? Or failed wafers? I doubt these are materials that could have been used for saleable products

15 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Please fix for night theme users

What's wrong with it? Also.. PLEASE tell me how to switch to that theme.. I'm totally missing something and haven't been able to figure out where I saw the setting.

1 minute ago, ConnorDahne said:

Is this why der8auer got his video pulled?

He explained that AMD Germany gave him permission but AMD global wasn't cool with it and rescinded the permission

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, DiaSin said:

What's wrong with it? Also.. PLEASE tell me how to switch to that theme.. I'm totally missing something and haven't been able to figure out where I saw the setting.

For the first question, edit your post, highlight all text, hit the A button in the toolbar and select 'Automatic' for the text color.

For the second question, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on 'THEME'.

My guess is they didn't have the funding to get board partners to put TR on a separate socket, so they had to do this ghetto workaround to make it work with the same substrate as Epyc.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

23 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Please fix for night theme users

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

For the first question, edit your post, highlight all text, hit the A button in the toolbar and select 'Automatic' for the text color.

For the second question, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on 'THEME'.

It's actually already set to automatic for font color, I don't know why it isn't working. Thanks for reminding me where the theme switcher is though Jito.. 

Honestly, I'm not sure why AMD doesn't just admit that Threadripper will eventually have SKU's with more than 16 cores to compete with intel's x299 18 core+ chips, using 3 or all 4 dies. It seems fairly obvious to me.

5 minutes ago, DiaSin said:

It's actually already set to automatic for font color, I don't know why it isn't working. Thanks for reminding me where the theme switcher is though Jito.. 

Thai is what it looks like to for me

Screenshot_20170802-125750.png

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Honestly, I'm not sure why AMD doesn't just admit that Threadripper will eventually have SKU's with more than 16 cores to compete with intel's x299 18 core+ chips, using 3 or all 4 dies. It seems fairly obvious to me.

Maybe they didn't think of that, maybe they just had lots of glue left over from some other project and decided this was a good use.  :o

Or maybe that + this is enough of an explanation:

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

My guess is they didn't have the funding to get board partners to put TR on a separate socket, so they had to do this ghetto workaround to make it work with the same substrate as Epyc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think what they mean by 'they don't have working transistors' is that they're nonfunctional, not that they're blank.

I can't imagine that they would avoid using failed chips, since spacers on something like this is the perfect way to actually use nonfunctional parts, but at the same time I can't imagine they're only using failed Ryzen dies if their yields are good. So I'd guess they're both using failed dies and some sort of dummies, but that also seems convoluted...

Really, what I'd love for AMD to clear up, is exactly how they sort out and differentiate their dies.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Thai is what it looks like to for me

Screenshot_20170802-125750.png

I'm aware. It does the same for me, now that I'm on the night theme, but it IS set to automatic. Like I said, I don't know why it isn't working. 

11 minutes ago, Swatson said:

He explained that AMD Germany gave him permission but AMD global wasn't cool with it and rescinded the permission

I must have misunderstood his update video then.. I thought he had permission, then lost it..
I assumed they didn't want people to know about the four dies until announced.

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

1 minute ago, DiaSin said:

I'm aware. It does the same for me, now that I'm on the night theme, but it IS set to automatic. Like I said, I don't know why it isn't working. 

Highlight the text in the quote and remove formatting.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, ConnorDahne said:

I must have misunderstood his update video then.. I thought he had permission, then lost it..
I assumed they didn't want people to know about the four dies until announced.

Well he did have permission and then lost it. He explained the whole amd germany vs amd global in his livestream Q/A video.