I'm in a dilemma! 780 vs 780 TI on 1080p.

Hello everybody!

I'm about to buy a new PC ( My first )

My friend is also ordering a new pc, and has the same qeustion.

Since there's not a date of the 290 non reference cards, i really can't wait any longer.

We're almost in the end of November, and there's not an official word about the non reference 290 yet.

So i think i should just go with a 780 (TI), only I am not sure which to pick.

I've got a 1080p monitor, and i'm not sure if i will get the most out of BF4 with a 780.

Should i sell a kidney, and just buy the 780 TI ? Or is that a waste of money.

Mantle is not really a problem for me, because i believe it will be available for Nvidia too.

And is a Overclocked 780 better than a 290?

why friend no upgrade monitor!!!!

tell him to get 780

Okay thanks!

If i would do that, should i get the Asus one?

Never build a PC before, and don't know how to overclock but because i'm not stupid i think it will be not that hard.

if you have to sell something else to get the ti don't do it go for the 780

Selling a kindey was a joke. I can afford the 780 TI but it i will be poor after buying.

And not only my friend is buying a new pc, im also buying one! he's almost ordering the same.

A 780 and 290 beat each other depending on the situation.

The 780 ti is a bad value. 

What are the rest of your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A 780 and 290 beat each other depending on the situation.

The 780 ti is a bad value. 

What are the rest of your specs?

Well, what i am buying is:

Corsair 750D

Asus maximus VI hero

i7 4770k

Corsair H100i + Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM

Sea Sonic X-750 v2

G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL < 2133 mhz

Samsung EVO Basic 250gb

2TB HDD

Edit:

I've been reading non reference 290 cards are not comming in november. instead they are comming in December/early Jan.

Corsair 750D

Asus maximus VI hero

i7 4770k

Sea Sonic X-750 v2

Samsung EVO Basic 250gb

2TB HDD

That's a lot of money that's going to do little to nothing for performance.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What's your situation for peripherals?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Selling a kindey was a joke. I can afford the 780 TI but it i will be poor after buying.

And not only my friend is buying a new pc, im also buying one! he's almost ordering the same.

then don't do it also is the rig just for gaming?

That's a lot of money that's going to do little to nothing for performance.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What's your situation for peripherals?

Why? isn't ram going down by mhz when overclocking?

Well, first i chose the i5 4670k, Andnow  the i7 is because there's been told that the i7 will last longer with upgrades etc. (+ It has hyper threading technology, i am not sure if bf4 is going to use this. )

My budget is about 1900 Euro, i think price's are about the same in the USA. (1900 is already too much, a 290 instead of a 780 TI would cost me about 1666 euro )

I live in The Netherlands, and i will be shopping at Azerty ( you probaly dont know. )

I do have a 1080p monitor, which i think is fine. also i've got a mouse, a gaming keyboard, and g930 headset/speaker set. so i dont really need anything else.  

then don't do it also is the rig just for gaming?

Yes, i won't  be doing video editing etc.

Yes, i won't  be doing video editing etc.

get an i5 or fx 8320 instead and then get a 780 that will be fine 780 ti is actually not much better from what I have seen in benchmarks etc

get an i5 or fx 8320 instead and then get a 780 that will be fine 780 ti is actually not much better from what I have seen in benchmarks etc

I't will be a i5 than, i don't want a AMD processor :P

wont the i7 have any benefits with upcomming games/ uprgrades?

Why? isn't ram going down by mhz when overclocking?

What?

Well, first i chose the i5 4670k, Andnow  the i7 is because there's been told that the i7 will last longer with upgrades etc. (+ It has hyper threading technology, i am not sure if bf4 is going to use this. )

My budget is about 1900 Euro, i think price's are about the same in the USA. (1900 is already too much, a 290 instead of a 780 TI would cost me about 1666 euro )

I live in The Netherlands, and i will be shopping by Azerty ( you probaly dont know. )

I do have a 1080p monitor, which i think is fine. also i've got a mouse, a gaming keyboard, and g930 headset/speaker set. so i dont really need anything else.  

The i7 would perform a BIT better while being much more expensive. 

Same applies to the h100i + SP120's which are darn loud and really kills the point of having an X series psu and the ram.

The mobo is quite expensive and doesn't do anything for performance.

Look at the number of posts I have and consider that I'm the Trusted Advisor for the New Builds and Planning section. You better be darn sure that I've helped compose quite many builds using Azerty. :P

My recommendations: http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B634348%5D=1&product%5B452185%5D=1&product%5B650660%5D=1&product%5B620113%5D=1&product%5B639716%5D=1&product%5B455750%5D=1&product%5B567847%5D=1&product%5B280719%5D=1&product%5B641061%5D=1&product%5B620781%5D=1&product%5B631760%5D=1

Why not AMD?

Yes, there will be benefits. Are they worth the extra money? Most likely, nooooooooooooo.

No one can know for sure, but the i7 processors is really only worth it if you will be editing as well… For pure gaming go with the 4670K instead :)

And for your actual question: For the moment only EVGA got the 780ti (deal between them and Nvidia) which I basically look upon like overpriced garbage (a mediocre cooler on reference board with some over clock is not über nice no…) so I would say go with the 780.

Asus is the version I prefer, but both Msi and Gainward got some nice versions as well :)

Also: That RAM is really not meant for gaming… Get the highest frequency one you can get while still maintaining a CL rating of 9 and you are good to go :)

Oh and another thing: BF4 will be utterly crushed by either of the GPUs you have chosen since it is really not that graphically impressive… It is just not meant for eye candy :/

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

What?

Same applies to the h100i + SP120's which are darn loud and really kills the point of having an X series psu and the ram.

Look at the number of posts I have and consider that I'm the Trusted Advisor for the New Builds and Planning section. You better be darn sure that I've helped compose quite many builds using Azerty. :P

My recommendations: http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B634348%5D=1&product%5B452185%5D=1&product%5B650660%5D=1&product%5B620113%5D=1&product%5B639716%5D=1&product%5B455750%5D=1&product%5B567847%5D=1&product%5B280719%5D=1&product%5B641061%5D=1&product%5B620781%5D=1&product%5B631760%5D=1

Why not AMD?

Yes, there will be benefits. Are they worth the extra money? Most likely, nooooooooooooo.

Well thanks for your info!

Okay, so i will take a i5.

I think the ram on you recommend is a bit too low, i know i won't be using most of it.

Is the h100I with the extra fans so loud ? i tought the fans made it alot more silent.

Like i said, i do have a monitor already :P

you have 2 PSU's in your build.

I chose for the PSU because it has good reviews, is silent, and is compatible with the Haswell processor.

Also i'm going for the looks a little bit. that is why i chose the maximus VI hero. + G.skill ram. ( might switch back to Corsair vegeance pro, i know it's a rebrand. but again, its looking great. )

And i am really in love with the 750D.

When i made this build, i found this video which looks almost like my build when finished. and i must say that it is looking awesome. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCqSFB1wWl0

No one can know for sure, but the i7 processors is really only worth it if you will be editing as well… For pure gaming go with the 4670K instead :)

And for your actual question: For the moment only EVGA got the 780ti (deal between them and Nvidia) which I basically look upon like overpriced garbage (a mediocre cooler on reference board with some over clock is not über nice no…) so I would say go with the 780.

Asus is the version I prefer, but both Msi and Gainward got some nice versions as well :)

Also: That RAM is really not meant for gaming… Get the highest frequency one you can get while still maintaining a CL rating of 9 and you are good to go :)

Oh and another thing: BF4 will be utterly crushed by either of the GPUs you have chosen since it is really not that graphically impressive… It is just not meant for eye candy :/

Okay also thanks for the information!

Still wondering what is wrong with the H100i + SP fans

While following your advise, my build is:

http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B634348%5D=1&product%5B452185%5D=1&product%5B627367%5D=1&product%5B644269%5D=1&product%5B564541%5D=1&product%5B624110%5D=1&product%5B457358%5D=1&product%5B620105%5D=1&product%5B240477%5D=1&product%5B632818%5D=1&product%5B626780%5D=1

Well thanks for your info!

Okay, so i will take a i5.

I think the ram on you recommend is a bit too low, i know i won't be using most of it.

Is the h100I with the extra fans so loud ? i tought the fans made it alot more silent.

Like i said, i do have a monitor already :P

you have 2 PSU's in your build.

I chose for the PSU because it has good reviews, is silent, and is compatible with the Haswell processor.

Also i'm going for the looks a little bit. that is why i chose the maximus VI hero. + G.skill ram. ( might switch back to Corsair vegeance pro, i know it's a rebrand. but again, its looking great. )

And i am really in love with the 750D.

When i made this build, i found this video which looks almost like my build when finished. and i must say that it is looking awesome. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCqSFB1wWl0

How heavy are you on multitasking? 8GB should be plenty for gaming.

The h100i has loud stock fans.

SP120's are loud. Replacing loud fans with loud fans or adding loud fans doesn't help.

If you only have one, that's barely enough imo. A second display would be great for productivity. You won't want to go back to one. Also, I suspect an IPS panel would be an upgrade over whatever you currently have.

Whoops. Ignore the 2nd psu. I would get it as it is better but it doesn't fit the color theme being blue so I'd go with the 620w. I'd go for the 550w gold if you would change to a blue theme though.

Being compatible for Haswell just means it works for power save states which both psus in the list do.

The X series psu is great but is expensive and you system is only as quiet as your loudest part. It's a bit of a waste.

Does the G43 Gaming not look good?  :huh:

Go ahead and get the 750D then. 

If you really want to spend on looks, there are better ways of doing it. 

Still wondering what is wrong with the H100i + SP fans

It's replacing loud fans with loud fans.

How heavy are you on multitasking? 8GB should be plenty for gaming.

The h100i has loud stock fans.

SP120's are loud. Replacing loud fans with loud fans or adding loud fans doesn't help.

If you only have one, that's barely enough imo. A second display would be great for productivity. You won't want to go back to one. Also, I suspect an IPS panel would be an upgrade over whatever you currently have.

Whoops. Ignore the 2nd psu. I would get it as it is better but it doesn't fit the color theme being blue so I'd go with the 620w. I'd go for the 550w gold if you would change to a blue theme though.

Being compatible for Haswell just means it works for power save states which both psus in the list do.

The X series psu is great but is expensive and you system is only as quiet as your loudest part. It's a bit of a waste.

Does the G43 Gaming not look good?  :huh:

Go ahead and get the 750D then. 

If you really want to spend on looks, there are better ways of doing it. 

I do wan't a bit higher PSU Watt because i might do some upgrades later.

Sure 2 displays would be nice, but i don't have much room for 2 at this moment :( and i have a benq led display which is fine at this moment, i might order a higher resolution later.

And the Fans i chose are not the regular SP fans, it is the quiet edition. are those loud too ?

The g43 sure looks amazing, and i have been comparing these 2 before. But the Maximus has better onboard audio, and does not cost alot more than the g43.

Edit: could also buy noctuna fans, but those dont look as good as the Corsair one's

I do wan't a bit higher PSU Watt because i might do some upgrades later.

Sure 2 displays would be nice, but i don't have much room for 2 at this moment :( and i have a benq led display which is fine at this moment, i might order a higher resolution later.

And the Fans i chose are not the regular SP fans, it is the quiet edition. are those loud too ?

The g43 sure looks amazing, and i have been comparing these 2 before. But the Maximus has better onboard audio, and does not cost alot more than the g43.

Edit: could also buy noctuna fans, but those dont look as good as the Corsair one's

The 620w will be plenty even for upgrades unless you're adding another card (which most people who say they'll do but end up never doing so)

The quiet edition along with all corsair fans so far, are quite loud.

The onboard isn't that much better on the Maximus. If you want good audio, get a cheap sound card.

What?

Why not AMD?

25€ and you can get a twin pack of SP120 quiet editions, i have them on my h100i and they are dead silent running at their max speed of around 1200rpm, only thing i can hear are my graphics cards

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

25€ and you can get a twin pack of SP120 quiet editions, i have them on my h100i and they are dead silent running at their max speed of around 1200rpm, only thing i can hear are my graphics cards

Depends on the person. There are cheaper and quieter fans available. 

Corsair 750D

Asus maximus VI hero

i7 4770k

Sea Sonic X-750 v2

Samsung EVO Basic 250gb

2TB HDD

Edit:

I've been reading non reference 290 cards are not comming in november. instead they are comming in December/early Jan.

Get a 120GB SSD and only upgrade the fans for the h100i a little later, when you have gained some money after spending it all on the rest of your build. Also try these fans:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noiseblocker-case-fan-itrb12ps

or these 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/scythe-case-fan-d1225c12b4ap14

Also you could go with some slower RAM as it wont make much difference in gaming, and 8GB is enough (only based on if you are gaming) Also an MSI mobo could cut down the price with many of the features.