Windows Media Player Problem! HELP! :(

lol1419

I can stream 1080p netflix encodes on my slow but stable 16Mb/s connection.

50Mb/s (if you're actually getting those speeds) would be enough to stream untouched Blu-rays. Which are usually around the 30-35Mb/s total bitrate. Not to mention a fully transparent h.264 1080p encode would usually come in at around 16-18Mb/s. The over compressed Netflix streams have a bitrate well below that, it's ridiculous that people in North America can't stream them.

Edit: Oh wait I just realised you're in Scotland, same here. You need a new ISP :D

Indeed. Problem for me is there's no ISP that can provide me with a better speed in my area - absolute highest is 4Mb/s. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Indeed. Problem for me is there's no ISP that can provide me with a better speed in my area - absolute highest is 4Mb/s. :(

Man that sucks, I take it you live somewhere quite rural?

I'm impatiently waiting for FTTC (BT infinity) to be rolled out to my area via the 'Rest of Scotland' Government initiative. But it seems that there are some places that are overlooked even with the 'Free Market' being supplemented by tax payer's money. 

Man that sucks, I take it you live somewhere quite rural?

I'm impatiently waiting for FTTC (BT infinity) to be rolled out to my area via the 'Rest of Scotland' Government initiative. But it seems that there are some places that are overlooked even with the 'Free Market' being supplemented by tax payer's money. 

Sort of rural, I live on the edge of Edinburgh.

Frustratingly all the areas around mine have Fibre. :P

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I'm afraid I agree with OneGun here.

The highest quality I can stream online is 720p on YouTube with lots of buffering or 480p on Netflix. Until such a time as everyone in the world has at least 50Mb/s download speeds, high-quality 1080p streaming is still going to be problematic.

i can do 1080p on youtube just fine with no buffering

same with 4k

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020