DIY PC

Ughh. I thought the problems ended but it just got worse. The graphics card is recognised and works but ever since installation everything has become EXTREMELY SLOW. Bootup times have decreased and trying to load up anythung is impossible. Games take about 5mins just to get to the main menu and then when u try to play it just freezes on the loading page. Im typing this while sitting and watchinh my pc stuck trying to load a online map in COD BO2. It just says awauti g textures and this is the same with any other app or game. When i try to open chrome i have to keep it as a small window as if i make it desktop size the whole screen flashes then disapears and i have to turn my pc off manually. The windows button doesnt get me out of any of these applocation problems. Pleasssseeee helppp

Again, does the issue persist on integrated graphics

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Again, does the issue persist on integrated graphics

It won't run at all on integrated graphics.

It won't run at all on integrated graphics.

Take this issue to other relevant sub sections.

• 3 weeks later...

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

( English is not my first language sorry for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes)

So I want to buy a pc I already pick most of the components but I will need suggestion along the way

Budget:£2000(I live in UK)

Shop from where i will buy: Overclockers.co.uk

What I already have:-

Monitor:-BenQ XL2720Z 27" TRUE 144Hz 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED Monitor

Mice - Razer
Headphones:-Sennheiser hd650 and Sennheiser hd8 dj
Amp:-Graham Slee Solo 

What I will use my rig for: games,movies,music,web browsing(a lot of open tabs),office and just to move fast overall whenever i open the pc or an application i really want everything to be fast

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 

Asus Maximus VII Formula Intel Z97 (Socket 1150)

Corsair RM Series RM 1000 '80+ Gold' 1000W Power Supply 

Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 10000RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB ---I will upgrade to a ssd in the future for now just storage

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case

Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 Mechanical Keyboard

NZXT KRAKEN X61 AIO Water Cooling Unit

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5

AND MY BIGGEST PROBLEM RAM????AM NOT SURE WHAT I NEED:- DDR3 Quad-Channel - PC3-14400+

-DDR3 Dual-Channel - PC3-14400+

-DDR3 Dual-Channel - PC3-12800

- DDR3 Dual-Channel - PC3-10666

To many choices and not sure what is exactly compatible with my mobo

• 3 months later...

so guys i am not pro at this but i eventually got 1300 euros so i want i build pc for gaming most and i want it to run almost everything at high settings 1920x1080 after some search at seeing some reviews i come to this
cpu Intel Core i5-4690K
motherboard please help to chose one
ram Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB or the ZOTAC
COOLING Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
POWER SUPPLY Corsair Builder Series CX750M 80Plus Bronze
CASE HELP NZTX H440 OR CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC 03

AND TELL ME IF SOME ITS BETTER TO COMBINE WITH SOMETHING ELSE OR FOR BETTER COMPATIBILITY AND I ALSO WANT TO OVERCLOCK THE CPU SOME SUGGESTION WILL BE APPRECIATED.AND ALSO THE CARD IS 400 EUROS WHERE I LIVE SO so maybe I MUST GET A MOTHERBOARD WITH SLI AND PUT TWO CHIPER CARDS PLEASE HELP SORRY FOR ENGLISH

• 5 months later...

Updated slightly

• 4 months later...

Amazingly helpful post, thanks for the play by play! I'm building a rig for the first time and this post answered a lot of questions and made me feel a whole lot more confident in my choices.

Thanks Windspeed36

• 3 months later...

Hello people

i haz a question

i wanted to build a Cheap gaming pc and i already have:

an HDD

memory

monitor

mouse and keyboard

but i know thats not enough things and this was the best place i cud think of to ask this question M8's what would be the best and cheap

CPU

GPU

PSU

MOBO

and case

for under 250-350$

(im from canada BTW)

• 1 month later...

Maybe you can add this video to the overclocking section :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for your awesome work. I was just planning to build up a pc for the first time and with all the tutorials that i saw in past days i got pretty much confused. Your post helps really a lot.

• 5 weeks later...

I am building a PC for the first time and have a budget of around $1500-$2000 and I do not know what GPU to buy. I intend to use this rig for gaming at 4K and video streaming. I am using a Intel 6700K on an Asus z170 hero motherboard with 16gb of corsair vengeance ram, with a WD 1Tb black hard drive, a corsair rmx 750, and a NZXT h440. What GPU should I use????

27 minutes ago, MatchuEnsmith said:

I am building a PC for the first time and have a budget of around $1500-$2000 and I do not know what GPU to buy. I intend to use this rig for gaming at 4K and video streaming. I am using a Intel 6700K on an Asus z170 hero motherboard with 16gb of corsair vengeance ram, with a WD 1Tb black hard drive, a corsair rmx 750, and a NZXT h440. What GPU should I use????

You should make your own thread in the future, but a 1080 if you want to play AAA games at 4k (although you won't be able to max out 4k AAA games with any current single card, I'm ignoring the Titan XP because it's a stupid purchase at $1200). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What about if you want to do more than gaming? I mean yes, i will game, but i will also edit videos, render, do 3d design, do hauptwerk. Should i go with the 6700k or the 5820k

5 minutes ago, Vaderthegamer said:

What about if you want to do more than gaming? I mean yes, i will game, but i will also edit videos, render, do 3d design, do hauptwerk. Should i go with the 6700k or the 5820k

As I said to the person above you, you should make your own thread. 

But it depends on the specific software. In Adobe programs, a 5820k would like 10% faster than a 6700k due to poor scaling above four cores. So it depends entirely on the optimizations of the specific programs. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Hi! As you see from my username I am not the best at building my own PC. Does anyone out there know a good PC build under $1500 that can run Battlefield One on a good visual setting? Thanks.

11 hours ago, ImNewToThis said:

Hi! As you see from my username I am not the best at building my own PC. Does anyone out there know a good PC build under $1500 that can run Battlefield One on a good visual setting? Thanks.

Create a your own thread here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/ by clicking "Start New Topic" in the upper right corner.

Be sure to include your region, whether or not that $1500 includes the cost of Windows, a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc... Also, be sure to include any other pertinent information about your use -- will it be for anything other than gaming? Do you want 1080p, 1440p, 4k, 144fps? etc... 

P.s. you can max out Battlefield One @ 1080 ultra 60fps at around $700~ USD (without an OS, or any peripherals/monitor). So you should also include whether or not you want to be able to max out current and future title or if you want to spend just enough to max out BF1.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Your forgetting to look at expansion slots like a m.2 slot of sli support for motherboards