PS4 - Vita 'Remote Play' looking very good. Shield competitor?

So, a video showing off the PS4 'Remote Play' functionality has gone up on IGN. It shows a practically latency free connection to the Vita, with full control of the games. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBEL9_Gy_s

As someone getting a PS4 and who owns a Vita, this seems very exciting. If devs support this fully (which they seem to be), this could be a cheaper option to the shield. 

The Vita is retailing for £169 in the UK right now, so a vita and a PS4 will set you back around £518. Do you guys think this is a better solution to the Shield? 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

So, a video showing off the PS4 'Remote Play' functionality has gone up on IGN. It shows a practically latency free connection to the Vita, with full control of the games. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBEL9_Gy_s

As someone getting a PS4 and who owns a Vita, this seems very exciting. If devs support this fully (which they seem to be), this could be a cheaper option to the shield. 

The Vita is retailing for £169 in the UK right now, so a vita and a PS4 will set you back around £518. Do you guys think this is a better solution to the Shield? 

If you don't already have an Nvidia GPU and gaming PC, yes.

If you do, then no.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This is done over Wi-fi I assume.

wait, the PS4 was hardlined? I'm confused now ;_;

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

This is done over Wi-fi I assume.

wait, the PS4 was hardlined? I'm confused now ;_;

The first test was with the PS4 connected via ethernet and Vita on WiFi, both on the same network. The second was with the Vita and PS4 on WiFi.

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Nah not a competitor with Shield.  Shield has the whole Android gaming side and only works with PCs w/ geforce card so two different target markets.  Either way, the Shield's controller destroys the Vita.  I can't even game on a Vita cause the analog sticks are too damn small.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Can play any controller friendly game on pc vs can play ps4 games. Cool but not even close to compitition.  Wanna know whats gonna be fun though? Steam streaming withouth the exlusive need for a nvidia gpu..

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

The first test was with the PS4 connected via ethernet and Vita on WiFi, both on the same network. The second was with the Vita and PS4 on WiFi.

Man I watched the video and at the start I assumed that he was bluetoothing to the PS4 but over the wifi... why is he loosing connection so quick? Any kind of normal laptop would not loose wifi so quick. if you look at the section he is starting to get stuttering after a few feet out of the door or the room. How can this be a competitor for the Shield? I dont think so, cool gimmic for anyone who already owns a PS Vita and is buying the PS4? Yea for sure but not a competitor 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

The problem with VITA is that it doesn't have to 4 Triggers in the back like a normal Controller it only has R1 and L1 but it's missing R2 and L2.
And shield has also a Console mode.

RTX2070OC 

AND the VITA joysticks are terrible compare to ps'4

True also the buttons are to small it really isn't that compelling to play on it because it just isn't a controller wich Shield is.

I had problems at Gamescom playing Terraway(Vita exclusiv) because of the small buttons and that game was a simple platformer.

I don't even want to know how it is to play a shooter on it.

RTX2070OC 

True also the buttons are to small it really isn't that compelling to play on it because it just isn't a controller wich Shield is.

I had problems at Gamescom playing Terraway(Vita exclusiv) because of the small buttons and that game was a simple platformer.

I don't even want to know how it is to play a shooter on it.

I tested with Killzone, it made console fps look lile pc fps! Ol maybe not that bad but it was damn hard to aim. And i playd fps on PsP and it whent ....well.

to people saying this isn't a competitor... it will outsell nvidia shield by a lot. i assume you are saying that because it can't be connected to PC but console people will love it.

If you don't already have an Nvidia GPU and gaming PC, yes.

If you do, then no.

Cool, yes. Expected, pretty much. Competitor? No.

to people saying this isn't a competitor... it will outsell nvidia shield by a lot. i assume you are saying that because it can't be connected to PC but console people will love it.

I want to point out that I am basically saying the only people who should buy an Nvidia Shield are those with gaming PC's and Nvidia GPUs. So yeah. I think the Vita + PS4 combo will out sell the shield by a ton. 

Also, considering people are guesstimating that PS4/XB1 emulators will come out fairly quickly, how is that any different from allowing a PC to run it? ... The emulators would be run on a PC, so effectively, that would allow the Vita to be used with a PC. 

Obviously that is a rumor/complete speculation, but at the same time, I have a hard time believing it will take more than 2 years to get a working PS4/XB1 emulator out. Simply because of their similarities to PC. I understand there is still a LOT different between the two platforms, but at the same time, that was true of the PS2 and it's "emotion engine" and things of that nature. If we could get emu's of those, we should definitely be able to get emu's of these new consoles, inevitably. 

Mind you, a working PS2 emulator took a while to make, but then I go back to the whole "x86 architecture" thing. I can imagine it wouldn't be hard to "spoof" a PS4 system on a PC.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.