"AMD to release TressFX 2.0, animates grass and fur"

TopWargamer

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5091726/amd-to-release-tressfx-2-0-animates-grass-and-fur

AMD will release an updated version of its TressFX hair simulation technology with the ability to animate grass and fur, according to the schedule for the AMD Developer Summit 2013.

TressFX debuted in Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot and was available exclusively for the Windows PC version of the game. The technology allowed developers to render and simulate thousands of individual strands of hair, giving Lara a more life-like appearance.

Mmmm...yes...better looking character character and item models. Future games are looking (quite literally) to be pretty awesome.

COMIC SANS

TressFx 1 was awesome. I think it added icing on a really good cake. Cant wait to see what 2.0 brings

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

TressFX on grass is excellent to hear and (hopefully) see. Hope that more developers will take the effort to implement these features.

Eh, I wasn't blown away by TressFX 1.0. S'basically like Physx except not exclusive. If it was exclusive I wouldn't care about it, but having both TressFX and Physx at the same time is nice.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

TressFx 1.0 is pretty awesome, can't wait for the demo to come out for the next version.

CPU: 2500k 4.6 Ghz 1.38V   Cooler: CM Seidon 120M   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Patriot 1600 Mhz (4x4Gb)   GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 3 7950 (1100/1500)  

Storage: Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb, Seagate 500Gb,  HGST 1Tb   PSU: OCZ 700W   Monitor: Dell ST2420L   Mouse: Razer Naga 2012   Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate (Mx Blues)  

Great. I liked that feature & I hope it gets even deeper in future games :)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Never tried TressFX but it great that they are putting this technology onto grass and fur. Would be pretty nice to see some demo videos on this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just imagine if this will be supported in the next TES. Oh, dat grass and dat trees...

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Awesome tressfx got me used to really awesome hair but only Lara had tressfx hair and even then tressfx resulted in a slight performance hit so I wonder how they plan to have enough performance for grass. Also tressfx isn't as well developed as physx right now, hopefully that changes.

Is it gonna animate FISH MOVING OUT OF YOUR WAY? No? Not interested.

Forget hair. Enhance fires.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Im for anything that gets me a more immersive, in-depth, and great looking experience overall. If that means PhysX or Tress FX, whatever. Im all for progress. Lets overclock those graphics cards to keep up!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Cool. I'm all for new physics tech. TressFX in Tomb Raider wasn't amazing, but it was a nice minimal edition. Better grass and fur animation could be really nice. The performance cost could be pretty crazy though, especially in games with a lot of grass or a lot of furry characters on screen.

Have any new games been announced to use TressFX? So far only Tomb Raider has had it............ :mellow: :(

Awesome tressfx got me used to really awesome hair but only Lara had tressfx hair and even then tressfx resulted in a slight performance hit so I wonder how they plan to have enough performance for grass. Also tressfx isn't as well developed as physx right now, hopefully that changes.

I think they will simply make some more code optimisations :P and due to the small size of the grass it won't really bend the way hair does.

Fur however is probably going to have crazy performance drops but meh if they have 20% from Mantle (my predicted performance gains) then 50% drop in performance in this then you're looking at about 60% performance from the original, I wonder if AMD could somehow allow us to have dedicated TressFX cards? Or use on-board graphics as such :D

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I wonder if AMD could somehow allow us to have dedicated TressFX cards? Or use on-board graphics as such :D

Probably the latter, Mantle isn't just about improving dedicated graphics card performance, it's also about using onboard GPUs to calculate physics and global illumination, the future is looking bright indeed... see what I did there.

Probably the latter, Mantle isn't just about improving dedicated graphics card performance, it's also about using onboard GPUs to calculate physics and global illumination, the future is looking bright indeed... see what I did there.

omg xD

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You know what would be interesting? What if you could have an NVIDIA card (for example because of ShadowPlay) and then have an AMD card to run TressFX and Mantle. If that could run at the same time and work together, that would be awesome. xD Not realistic, but it would be awesome. Obviously that won't happen.

MSI Z77MA-G45; Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz with stock cooler (75°C max. in Prime95); Corsiar Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1600MHz CL9; EVGA GTX 650Ti SSC 2GB GDDR5 @ stock; Samsung 840 120GB (15s boot time); WD Green 500GB; Corsair CX430; Corsair 350D; BenQ RL2455HM (best gaming 60Hz monitor); Logitech G400 mouse; Logitech K120 keyboard; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit