Do you think consoles will be obsolete in 5-8 years?

digitalnav

Already obsolete...

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Imagine the power of 8x GTX 780Ti with Dual 4960X's in the palm of your hands!

The framerate! It would be...OVER 9000!!!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

5-8 years? Consoles are already obsolete

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

XBOX says mantle won't be allowed on its console. It's sort of DoA.

... For Xbox. 

But then again, Xbox just looks like a terrible console this generation. Inferior hardware which was supposed to be supplemented by cloud computing, which fell through. A bad starting plan (alllll the TV), which was only replaced with a sub-par "make up for our prior plan" plan. 

Not only does PS4 have stronger hardware, but it now has Mantle too. ... Just saying. Unless Sony has their own API they want to use instead of Mantle. Doubt it. But it's possible.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not yet today, but they will be very soon. 

Right now it's still pretty hard to buy/build a pc for the same price, with the same performance. But, like said on the WANshow, they used to be ahead of pc when they released, now they are already behind "normal budget"-pcs. In a little while you will buy a device that is much more powerful & more versatile for the same price. 

I don't agree that the next big thing will be cloud-gaming. My guess: streaming in-house. (1 powerful pc in the house, streaming devices around the house). Cloudbased gaming will come, but internetspeeds - reliability will have to increase first.

nvidiashield.jpg

With mobile chips becoming more and more powerful, do you think the days of gaming consoles are coming to an end? With chips like the soon to be released Tegra 6, the graphics performances said to rival that of the Playstation 3.

Personally, I think that within a couple of years, you'll have more power in your hands that you can take anywhere and plug into a TV. More than likely, people will choose to have a portable system over a big box.

Article: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/the-end-of-gaming-consoles-and-rise-of-mobile-and-pc-gaming-idnum112/

actually yes. I mean think about this, we're starting to walk into the virtual reality world (who knows maybe in 10 - 20 years we might have VR like Accel World / Sword Art Online)  And if they make more stuff like the NVIDIA Shield (then I plan on buying more portable gaming gear than consoles) ;)

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

It really depends on how receptive people are to change. A lot of people enjoy the current console experience. How hard will it be to convince these people that an alternative is in actuality better? Then there are people who find the idea of an "app" that enables gaming, streaming from the house (steam/nvidia shield) or online streaming such as OnLive too complicated. A lot of people wont understand how this works and will prefer the box that they plug into the tv.

In terms of hardware and games design consoles have been in my opinion obsolete for a long time. Im a big rts gamer and that lack of titles on the consoles for this genre and the lack of sufficient controls make it obsolete. 

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I would be surprised to see another big generation of consoles after this. There's already alternatives to the "TV box" style setup for couch gaming, the next 5 years will push those alternatives to the point where having a dedicated box for it next to your TV makes very little sense. You'll be moving either towards shield like devices that stream from a central hub, a GRID like interface with regional distributions, Cloud gaming....In the end gaming on a TV will be another function of a device you can carry around everywhere OR of a device you can STREAM everywhere.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Not if Apple decides to enter the market.

Most likely an Apple console will be based on mobile chips anyways. It'll more than likely be portable system as well.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Lets face it. CPU's are becoming more and more powerful and there is virtually no need to have a system for just gaming. I also believe it will be rare to see gaming rigs in the next few years. The performance we have now will be matched with mobile systems. 

streaming from the house (steam/nvidia shield) or online streaming such as OnLive too complicated. A lot of people wont understand how this works and will prefer the box that they plug into the tv.

The problem with Nvidia shield and cloud streaming etc is that they not only require either the shield, app on a mobile device or controller to plug into the tv but they also require the main pc connected to the net.  why buy 2 devices when one console does the job.  Consoles will always be behind PC's in terms of frame rates and resolution, that is not the debate, If people want one device on their tv that does not require another device then console will not be obsolete. 

Until the day comes when every house has a mainframe style pc that is capable of streaming games and the shield or tv device is significantly cheaper than a console, then they will not become obsolete.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think the next step and death to todays platform of phones as we have them today, desktop computing and consoles will be monitors inform of glasses or lenses you have on your eye. With high enough DPI (500-600) and 10 bit color there will be no need for any other monitors. Think of how little material that will be needed to make monitors that covers your eyes only compared to today. The image will also cover your entire view The image will be ether streamed from a server side service or through parts on you. The experience will be complete when you can control the devices with inputs from your brain.

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

FUUUUCCCCK.... Why is the title and poll question 2 contradicting question. I answered "No" to the title, then realized the poll question was "Do you think they're a dying breed" 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I don't think it will be cloud gaming, but if we can fit more hardware in a phone as we can in a PS4, then what is the point of the PS4, they will only overtake phones if they come out with smaller and more powerful consoles that are actually smaller than phones, however this will not happen because of how often they realease a new console.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Not only does PS4 have stronger hardware, but it now has Mantle too. ... Just saying. Unless Sony has their own API they want to use instead of Mantle. Doubt it. But it's possible.

I thought mantle is for the PC. It is supposed to give games better access to hardware to use it more effectively. Consoles already use low level APIs anyways, so they don't really need mantle. Or am i wrong?

I thought mantle is for the PC. It is supposed to give games better access to hardware to use it more effectively. Consoles already use low level APIs anyways, so they don't really need mantle. Or am i wrong?

Mantle means that any work that is done on the PC version of the game can be directly ported to the Console versions. Mantle is built to directly communicate with DirectX, so developing with Mantle means developing for everything basically. 

Less time developing for multiple API's means more time optimizing. However, since Xbox will use DirectX and Mantle will have to communicate with that rather than the hardware directly, it won't get the same advantages that PS4 will get.

I could be wrong, but that is how I understand Mantle to be according to everything AMD has said about it. Companies have lied before, and will again, but I have yet to see a reason why this is not true. 

AMD is pitching Mantle as a "Modular API" which directly implies it has to work with DirectX and other APIs if it is meant to be modular (i.e. one part of a game be developed in Mantle and work fine with another part developed in DirectX). 

You can look at AMD's blog if you don't see where they say it's modular. They don't directly say it, but saying "It works with DirectX, not against it." (paraphrased) is close enough imo.

My point is that so long as Mantle has to communicate with DirectX, the machine it's running on (like XB1) will most likely not get the low level API bonuses that a machine that Mantle has direct access to will (like PS4).

Still, I could be wrong. But I don't see anything saying I am. And it makes sense tbh. How else could AMD release an API and still work with Microsoft (who is a direct competitor in the API world) unless they can work together directly and efficiently.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The Linus Prophecy will become a reality. (needing a dedicated box for gaming on the couch)

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

i would be willing to say that they will be obsolete in 2-3 year max. At the rate that mobile electronics are getting better, it wont be long until we have graphics that look as good as these new consoles on a small device. Take a look at nvidia's project logan and how little power that uses.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i would be willing to say that they will be obsolete in 2-3 year max. At the rate that mobile electronics are getting better, it wont be long until we have graphics that look as good as these new consoles on a small device. Take a look at nvidia's project logan and how little power that uses.

Yup, thats what really caught my eye. By Tegra 6 we should have console grade graphics on portable devices.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Mantle means that any work that is done on the PC version of the game can be directly ported to the Console versions. Mantle is built to directly communicate with DirectX, so developing with Mantle means developing for everything basically. 

Less time developing for multiple API's means more time optimizing. However, since Xbox will use DirectX and Mantle will have to communicate with that rather than the hardware directly, it won't get the same advantages that PS4 will get.

I could be wrong, but that is how I understand Mantle to be according to everything AMD has said about it. Companies have lied before, and will again, but I have yet to see a reason why this is not true. 

AMD is pitching Mantle as a "Modular API" which directly implies it has to work with DirectX and other APIs if it is meant to be modular (i.e. one part of a game be developed in Mantle and work fine with another part developed in DirectX). 

You can look at AMD's blog if you don't see where they say it's modular. They don't directly say it, but saying "It works with DirectX, not against it." (paraphrased) is close enough imo.

My point is that so long as Mantle has to communicate with DirectX, the machine it's running on (like XB1) will most likely not get the low level API bonuses that a machine that Mantle has direct access to will (like PS4).

Still, I could be wrong. But I don't see anything saying I am. And it makes sense tbh. How else could AMD release an API and still work with Microsoft (who is a direct competitor in the API world) unless they can work together directly and efficiently.

In this case you would be mistaken actually. While there's a case to be made for similarities in converting from consoles to PC using mantle, it's still going to take significant work to port over titles. Mantle is an entirely PC rendering API and is only applicable on the PC platform. I mean you even offer up statements that Mantle would work with directX, which doesn't exist on either console. The point of Mantle is simply a low overhead renderer for the PC, nothing more.

People seem to be hailing it as a messiah or something while it really is just a more efficient way to render.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

PCs are too inconveinient for the general consumers.

Something like Roku of Apple TV are not worth it; because by 8 years time, why would someone need such a thing with smart TVs and such.

Plus, the extra functinality of a console is worth a lot more than most think.

Compatible with Windows 95

No

PCs are too inconveinient for the general consumers.

Something like Roku of Apple TV are not worth it; because by 8 years time, why would someone need such a thing with smart TVs and such.

Plus, the extra functinality of a console is worth a lot more than most think.

But that same functionality will soon be possible in a tablet-type device...so what would be the point?