What laptop should I get guys?

flamer7
Hey there guys I just want to ask, what laptop should I buy? 

I am going overseas next year, to college, and I want to get some opinions on what laptop to buy. I currently game at least 12 hours daily, and I like it. Even so, going to college, I am not sure if I should stop. It seems sensible to, but I enjoy it alot. 

For studies, I will be getting the MacBook Pro which was just realeased, the 13 inch one, which can barely handle any games. If not, I will be getting a gaming laptop 

For gaming, I am not sure what to get, I was deciding between the Razer Blade and the Gigabyte P34G, but I decided to take neither. For the Razer Blade, the heat problems are quite troublesome. For the Gigabyte P34G, the battery life is saddening, as I obviously require more than 3-4 hours battery life in college. So what gaming laptop do you think I should get? Any recommendations, MSI? Lenovo? Do tell!

Your opinion, matters.

Well first off, it depends completely on your budget, second, why the heck would you get 2 laptops? :D Third, welcome to the forum!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Nonono I want you tell me what I should choose, to stop gaming or not, that's why there are two choices, and Thanks! :)

You could keep a Mini-ITX machine in your dorm and get something like an Ultrabook. If you must get a laptop, I highly recommend the Lenovo Y series. I have a Y500 myself and it's great.

Spoiler

The base model 13 inch MacBook Pro are horrible for gaming. I would really look into getting the base 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro or the high end one. The high end has a 750m from Nvidia and the base has Intel's Iris Pro (5200) graphics, which are based on Crystal Well CPUs, which are pretty much modified Haswells from my understanding. Both retinas (15") have quad core CPUs (i5s and i7s) and get better battery life than most other laptops on the market, and are better built IMO.

an apple with an NVIDIA GPU? I thought ATI had an exclusive deal with them?

personally i hate laptops for gaming so much. but i guess razer blade(yea razer booo) but it has a slim design and is good for gaming too.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I really dont want to get a laptop with a screen size more than 14 inches, so I guess the MBP 15 is out :/ Y500 is alright but the GPU is kinda mehh :/

personally i hate laptops for gaming so much. but i guess razer blade(yea razer booo) but it has a slim design and is good for gaming too.

That was my 80% choice until I heard about the darn heat issues and the f*ked up terrible screen. 2013 and 2000 dollars which isnt even 1080 resolution. Really sad :(

Ditch the macbook, get a thin and light laptop and a desktop for your room.

You won't find a gaming-capable laptop with more than 4 hours of battery life; at least not whilst gaming. Your best bet would be something which uses Nvidia Optimus (dynamic switching between integrated and dedicated GPU in order to consume power when you don't need to use it) if you really must have a gaming laptop.

That was my 80% choice until I heard about the darn heat issues and the f*ked up terrible screen. 2013 and 2000 dollars which isnt even 1080 resolution. Really sad :(

i think its normal for laptops to not have a 1080p screen. i think 1600x900 and 1366x768 are more popular than 1080p for laptops

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Ditch the macbook, get a thin and light laptop and a desktop for your room.

You won't find a gaming-capable laptop with more than 4 hours of battery life; at least not whilst gaming. Your best bet would be something which uses Nvidia Optimus (dynamic switching between integrated and dedicated GPU in order to consume power when you don't need to use it) if you really must have a gaming laptop.

Yea I would like to, but do you have any laptop recommendations? 

i think its normal for laptops to not have a 1080p screen. i think 1600x900 and 1366x768 are more popular than 1080p for laptops

I know but the screen is just depressing, dull colours, washed out, things like that. 

I wouldn't get 2 laptops either, but if you really want something that'll game on the go, why don't you look at the MSI offerings? The GE40 looks to offer what you seek.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

I also wonder if you guys could help recommend some laptops, maybe less than $ 1500? The Razer Blade is actually in fact pretty expensive, quite over my budget, but if I really do have no choice, I will get it. Quite a blow to my savings though :(

Get an ASUS G750 with an i7-4700MQ and a GTX-765M. It is about $1250.

Or look at customizing one here: http://www.malibal.com/

You can customize one of their Satori series laptops and get a 4700MQ and a 770M/780M for around $1500. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Yea I would like to, but do you have any laptop recommendations? 

I know but the screen is just depressing, dull colours, washed out, things like that. 

yea true, very true. hmm

Specs of my PC:

I wouldn't get 2 laptops either, but if you really want something that'll game on the go, why don't you look at the MSI offerings? The GE40 looks to offer what you seek.

I'm not gonna get 2 laptops as I stated in the comments, I'm only gonna get one either more for studies or gaming. And which GE40 do you recommend? There are more than one. I don't think I'll get Dragon eyes though as I will be looked at as that nerdy kid who just plays games :(

Get an ASUS G750 with an i7-4700MQ and a GTX-765M. It is about $1250.

I'm looking more for laptops with 13/14 inch screens, but thanks :)

yea true, very true. hmm

Yea, but other than the screen I do admit the build is sexy, I've always wanted a laptop with a mac build, and in addition to the fact that it's black, WOW

With a budget of around 1500 i'd actually suggest a smaller system for your dorm room. And a cheaper laptop.

That way you'll have a laptop for your studies. and a stationairy pc for gaming. Since im guessing your weren't intending to game in class? ^_^

maybe invest in an alright sized screen for the dorm room desktop pc too. It's Always nice to be able to Watch a Movie on a bigger screen^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

With a budget of around 1500 i'd actually suggest a smaller system for your dorm room. And a cheaper laptop.

That way you'll have a laptop for your studies. and a stationairy pc for gaming. Since im guessing your weren't intending to game in class? ^_^

Sorry but I stated in the comments that I would get only one laptop, either more towards studying or gaming haha

Yea, but other than the screen I do admit the build is sexy, I've always wanted a laptop with a mac build, and in addition to the fact that it's black, WOW

yea. it sucks when basically everything is good except for that one, crucial thing. i feel ya bro...

Specs of my PC:

yea. it sucks when basically everything is good except for that one, crucial thing. i feel ya bro...

Exactly, just like the Gigabyte P34G which was my top pick, but the bloody battery only lasts 3 hours on normal multimedia usage! Not even gaming!

Exactly, just like the Gigabyte P34G which was my top pick, but the bloody battery only lasts 3 hours on normal multimedia usage! Not even gaming!

yea laptops have too many problems. thts why i gave up gaming on them. idrather game on my phone now(which i occasioanyl do in school) than on a laptop

Specs of my PC:

Sorry but I stated in the comments that I would get only one laptop, either more towards studying or gaming haha

Well i don't know too much about laptops to be honest. But anything from asus,msi or lenovo should be a good bet^^

And since those are windows based laptops i'd suggest picking up a copy of microsoft office (or a free equivalent). exel is really nice to have while studying.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm looking more for laptops with 13/14 inch screens, but thanks :)

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion-101-W740SU-Gaming-Laptop

This one has a 14.1 inch screen and Intel Iris Graphics which are fine for low/medium/normal and sometimes high gaming. It has a base of $1029, but if you want you can upgrade some parts of it.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |