November 9th Ultimate Video Editing PC Buyer's Guide - where to buy

LinusTech

Ähm, if they are ppl like me who's color vision ability is over average and shudder whilst working with an average monitor? To enjoy their work? To save precious time? Get better results?

Even little adjustments might result in a more pro looking clip. Those little details are far more simple / faster to recognise/found and work over/adjust with that kind of monitor. My impression is, they do not have that much of time, so to choose tools to help with the workflow

Don't forget the well-being, as as less exhausting your work surrounding / your tools challange your concentration...., as longer you are able to stay concentrated/productive. In a way the same as to look for a working mouse, clean air, natural light, sitting in a good chair, avoid noise,....

It is IMHO a thought through decision.

You are editing something that most won't see anyway. The Internet 'is' sRGB, most users don't even have monitors which fully cover sRGB.

Also you can profit from a semi-professional (in terms of color accuracy etc.) 10bit monitor like the Asus one also with only 8bit output (i.e. better LUT, better endresults).

An furterhmore what is the sense of 10bit output if the Sony FS700 (which they use most of the time) only records in 8bit anyway?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

You are editing something that most won't see anyway. The Internet 'is' sRGB, most users don't even have monitors which fully cover sRGB.

Also you can profit from a semi-professional (in terms of color accuracy etc.) 10bit monitor like the Asus one also with only 8bit output (i.e. better LUT, better endresults).

An furterhmore what is the sense of 10bit output if the Sony FS700 (which they use most of the time) only records in 8bit anyway?

Again, they might be like me, see more nuances or....

I am not sure about YT downloads bit possibility (10 bit will be a 'bit' big), but it helps with work speed to see details... it might not be about YOU, it might be about THEM. If you rewatch the clip, Slick shows why he as an example likes the monitor. You seem to ignore all details not connected to the presentation of the endproduct = clip at YT. Time and energy (of a person) and enjoyment of work... are also important. We do not know all details, why judge so early?

And why ignore the few only because the most don't see it (consciously)?

Are you aware about unconscious perception? Pro appearance? How advertising works 'on people'?

Example neutral to this subject:

The most will not hear big differences between different orchestras, still people go and visit even different concerts of the same orchester, for the little difference. Shall now all musician throw away their instruments, only bcs the most will not hear their work in full qualitiy/nuamces or someone else recorded their music? Or not buy another instrument for sounding slightly in another way (one of mine / family member of owns 6 guitars and plays all of them)

In additon:

they told in one of the newer clips (WAN show?), that they want to add a second equipment as they want to start to produce a dayly show/clip whatever. As in additional light, microphone, .... a 2nd set. Who knows what kind of camera they have set their eyes on? And what they also do (lets say web design or...) Or it might help with certain tests or.... we do not know all the work (or fun) they do.

For me it's still thought through alone for the detail that it seems both Slick (see this thread clip) and Linus seem to be happy for it (have you seen the unpacked about the monitor? How he :wub:  hugged it?),

I'm eyeing the NEC Spectraview, but as it is so much more expensive I might go and take a look at the Asus too ('bad' Linus ;) , his kind of advertising seem to work on me).

Again, they might be like me, see more nuances or....

I am not sure about YT downloads bit possibility (10 bit will be a 'bit' big), but it helps with work speed to see details... it might not be about YOU, it might be about THEM. If you rewatch the clip, Slick shows why he as an example likes the monitor. You seem to ignore all details not connected to the presentation of the endproduct = clip at YT. Time and energy (of a person) and enjoyment of work... are also important. We do not know all details, why judge so early?

omfg ... I never said that I or someone else doesn't see a differnce. 10bit doesn't at all speed up your workflow if it does take longer to process it.

No shit the ProArt looks better than a Gaming TN Panel with probably a 6bit+AFRC panel and a 8 or 10bit LUT ...

Put another ProArt next to it, calibrate both and then make the comparison.

I feel kinda angry now for watching it again, because now it almost feels like a commercial for Asus.

:D  (only 3 pars are from Asus, but I can see your point)

omfg ... I never said that I or someone else doesn't see a differnce. 10bit doesn't at all speed up your workflow if it does take longer to process it.

No shit the ProArt looks better than a Gaming TN Panel with probably a 6bit+AFRC panel and a 8 or 10bit LUT ...

Put another ProArt next to it, calibrate both and then make the comparison.

I didn't understand you in that way either - most are not all.

It might be a language thingie, to me it sounds like you think when most ppl do not see it, they shouldn't care. I think it isn't only about most other people (that are not even involved in the work process) or the endproduct...

If the workflow and/or the equipment are fast (and balanced) enough you won't get slowed down by the monitor's demand, but the eyes/brain/... of the person before the monitor might benefit from it.

I would be suprised if the Quadro would get problems with it as the Quadro (as far as I know) runs even more demanding monitors without problems. According to nVidia even the cheap/slow Quadro 600 is able to run a 10bit monitor (I didn't check the recommended monitor size)

ProArt:

not that great for editing... IMHO as too many mau to bad user reviews and not that good for e.g. 24p/25p Blu-Rays (according to the biggest monitor test site I know). They tested it as only being able to reach 94.5% sRGB (after calibration)... = very good for that type of panel (and you are surely right, better than many other 'game' monitors), but not to compare with better panel types. Named problems: very strong brightness spread differences,... => very good for the price if recalibrated, but not to compare with better contruction principles. 4% RMA at a bigger selling place, a bit high considering ppl tend to not send back such big items, if not really necessary (at least the ppl I know would try to avoid that).

I'm curios about RL experience of them. Hoping for some details about the Quadro - GTX mix experience as well as about power needed and so on. Also curios about the 2nd set equipment, especially what microphone, lights... and camera they will pick. Hopefully a camera without involving QuickTime-server-32bit in the backgroundas lots of cameras seem to use...

I'm still curious, was there any special software used to allow both GPU's to operate off single motherboard? I'm a nube to self-builds and am trying to plan out a similar machine for architecture school work involving 3d modeling and also high-res renders, plus some photoshop and illustrator as well as a little novice premeir and after effects. I would love to be able to do something like this and have it work without too much headache or tinkering, as I can't afford a titan, tesla, k6000 or any of those other insanely expensive GPUs.

I was hoping to be able to run a K2000 or so for GUI modeling, and a GTX 670 Windforce for rendering,

but can't find anything about drivers or software I will need to do that, but this video makes it seem easily doable. Is it as simple as plugging a monitor into the K2000 and the other monitor into the mobo and doing all GUI stuff off k2000 monitor? Also, I probably would go with PSU/CPU/mobo combo in build but try and go budget on all else, just because maybe its something unique about the mobo that allows for the GPU combo?

Sorry for total nubeness of my question, but am just super curious about all this due to potential affordability of awesomness this may allow for...

please give me info if you can!!! thank you :)

Is there any chance you'll bench your system 'privatly' (so the test stays 'fee-free') with the new workplace/workstation benchmark SPECwpc?

They just started / released it, so not many entries for the moment, but the first non Intel provided entry is rather similar to your system, a comparison might be a nice info for me / us (?)

http://www.spec.org/gwpg/wpc.data/specwpc10_summary.html

And pleeeeaaaaassseee:

the GPU combining as an RL resume.... would be very much appreciated by me too

Anyone have an estimate on the cost of this build?  I am interested in buying the parts for my son.....

William P. Bailey

billb79@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an estimate on the cost of this build?  I am interested in buying the parts for my son.....

Just did a quick add of every item to amazon cart and it goes over 7100$.  I added 2 ssds and 8 wd blacks rather than the "stock" configuration.  But that will just compensate for any taxes, shipping & all that is not already included.  And a LOT of the items seem to be on nice & real sale (like the quadro at 500$ off or so).

Change to water cooling, add a 2nd monitor, maybe a 3rd, mid-basic raid card, nice sound card, amp, speakers, 1 external backup drive, hq headset & you hit the 10K mark without breaking a sweat.  That's without going with a xeon E5 and ECC & over 64 GB of ram.

Now you have to think software licenses as well.  Those aren't cheap afaik.

• 4 weeks later...

Well 10 Bit makes a difference if your shooting ProRes with Black Magic Cinema camera (10 Bit) / CinemaDNG RAW 12 Bit. Or using RED. We have  We have a least one BM camera at job now (2.5K) version, these things are only $2000. 10 bit will become more important sooner than later to indie filmmakers.

Well 10 Bit makes a difference if your shooting ProRes with Black Magic Cinema camera (10 Bit) / CinemaDNG RAW 12 Bit. Or using RED. We have  We have a least one BM camera at job now (2.5K) version, these things are only $2000. 10 bit will become more important sooner than later to indie filmmakers.

-.- ... I never said, that the color space of your working files should be narrower.

What if I shoot pictures in 14bit and edit them in 16bit ProPhoto RGB, but watch them on a 8bit panel?

By your logic I would need a 14 or 16bit monitor.

10 bit will not become important at all in amateur or semi-professional working environments if the support in software, operation systems and hardware doesn't get drastically increased.

The 'comparison' in this video is just misleading ...

• 1 month later...

I did a lot of research when setting up my editing rig. I found that aside from Mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM, Storage configuration can be a huge bottle neck for rendering previews, and final files.

Given the price and LOE of this build I think more could have been done in this department. Also, this being titled the "Ultimate Video Editing PC Buyers Guide" I would think necessitates covering more than the configuration they chose. Storage is relatively cheap these days and thus can provide a lot of flexibility for getting the optimal configuration for individual needs.

Separating the SSD for OS and applications from the RAID10 is about 2 steps/degrees of the 3 I've seen in most of the guides and tutorials.

Basically everyone recommends at least 3 physical disks (never partition a drive on an NLE machine) any or all of which can be a RAID array. 1 for the OS/Applications (SSD or the somewhat forgone 10,000rpm HDD), another for Media (stock footage, music, photographs, rendered/rendering) and finally a Scratch Disk for the Page file (Linus just did a video on Tech Quickie), Media cache and Render Output.

In this build they went with a RAID10 which offers a great balance of speed and redundancy. I can't say for sure that this would become any kind of bottleneck but generally reading/writing source files and your renders to the same disk/drive can result in performance hits. The striping accomplished with the RAID10 could negate this. I'm note sure. But you're also losing some performance in that every write is going out to 2 places. Also I think they've mentioned having a NAS/SAN with a superfast Ethernet NIC. So their source files might in fact be coming from different locations than their out files. This might not be feasible for many so I thought I'd try to shed some light on the matter.

My go-to resource in this matter is Harm (Harm Millaard) on the adobe forums. He's a professional Editor and has been active on the forum for years helping beginners, enthusiasts and professionals alike. Below is a link to an article he made about storage configurations.

Storage Rules for an editing rig. Some basics.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/427772
Takeaways - 7200rpm at least, No Green drives, No partitions, no USB (other than backup), at least 3 drives, as many disks as possible, move the page file and make it 1.5x your RAM, turn off indexing, upgrade drive if your usage goes above 60-70%, defrag defrag defrag, cool dem drives, and RAID - onboard is fine for simple arrays, IOP238 chip cards for more advanced setups, RAID0 for data that is replaceable in case of failure (OS, renders/previews, cache, page file), RAID 3/5/6/10/30/50 for data that needs redundancy (Projects, media, etc...)

Hope this helps anyone trying to build an editing machine.

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

It did help me! Decent info in this thread for beginner editors. Still got lots to learn, did anyone find more info relating the K4000 + GTX780 combo on the same MB?

linus, just wanted to ask to ask what video editing software do you guys use?

linus, just wanted to ask to ask what video editing software do you guys use?

Nigel, you might have seen this already, but in their most recent update video they state that they're hiring an editor and that they use Adobe CC (Creative Cloud) so Premiere Pro CC and After Effects mostly.

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

• 3 weeks later...

How was your experience with the raid on that ASUS mobo? I've seen some reviews on Newegg saying that the software raid on it is horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems everyone wants to know how to run a K4000 + GTX780 combo on the same MB - me included. 

I've been scouring the net for endlessly deliberating on how to choose between the two because I want 10-bit photoshop editing.

Ideally I'd run k600 just for monitor (NEC PA272w) and the GTX780 for most everything else. Best of both worlds.

Please can someone explain how to do this!

• 2 months later...

a quick question what output would you use for this pc the quadro or the gtx does it matter 

i7 875k @ 4.2 GHz, MSI BIG BANG TRINERGY BOARD, 16GB RAM, OCZ AGILITY 120GB SSD, MSI GTX 580, FULL CUSTOM WATERCOOLED

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I came across this video! But, Nov 2013 is like ancient history. Lol! I'm curious about what you would change in your list today. I am considering a build for video editing with Adobe Premiere and After Effects. My current system is Sandy Bridge.

I understand there is some new hardware coming out in September. Wondering if I should hold out or build now

I'm glad I came across this video! But, Nov 2013 is like ancient history. Lol! I'm curious about what you would change in your list today. I am considering a build for video editing with Adobe Premiere and After Effects. My current system is Sandy Bridge.

I understand there is some new hardware coming out in September. Wondering if I should hold out or build now

Most of this is actually still very relevant. The only thing I found that could be switched out was the SSD. Change the Intel 530 to a Intel 730, or a Samsung 850 Pro and you're gold. But even then, the 530 is more than good enough for anything you want to do.

So yeah, it's still an excellent build for anyone in need of a very high-end video/photo production machine.

And just so you know, the Amazon.com link for the motherboard in this article is not correct. It leads to the ASUS P9X79 WS. It should be the -E model, which is about $500.

So, the X99 motherboards should take us to a whole new level. Probably too new to formulate an opinion?

And just so you know, the Amazon.com link for the motherboard in this article is not correct. It leads to the ASUS P9X79 WS. It should be the -E model, which is about $500.

So, the X99 motherboards should take us to a whole new level. Probably too new to formulate an opinion?

The only problem why I can't even suggest the X99 platform is because, well. It simply isn't available yet. And the eight-core CPU (5960X) will come at the steep price of $1,000.

But apart from that, yeah, the X99 platform will be much like the X79. But with more PCI lanes, more or pretty much everything. You'd also have to get DDR4 memory and such, too.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video it gives me ideas for something I'd like to build in the future.  It will take time, but it will be mine.  I'd like to making a gaming/streaming/editing machine.