WTF R9 290X Coil Whine!!

lhikari

Wrong, while they may all be to reference designed PC's does NOT mean they are all using the exact same quality componentry. An example with the 290x's was some manufacturers were using elpida memory and some where using hand, generally the habit was of much better quality and over clocked much further (general consensus).

Well you just blew my mind, im surprised linus or anyone else has actually talked about this

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Well you just blew my mind, im surprised linus or anyone else has actually talked about this

Hynix* sorry.

My phone didn't recognize the word.

And there are actually quite a few threads around with people going ape shit because there card has come with Elpida memory and they can barely overclock 10%.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Oh my I haven't heard a card with coil whine louder than the fan before.

Sounds like a XFX problem

It's a Sapphire card, although with reference I'm not sure that the brand makes any difference.

It's a Sapphire card, although with reference I'm not sure that the brand makes any difference.

Something as simple as different capacitors can cause coil whine...

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I mean't that XFX cards are known for coil whine

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I have it on my 7970, when it runs games at stupid fps (500+) especially on loading screens.

Limit the fps to 60 and the coil whine goes away,

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

hmmmm considering 780ti :(

Why? There is just as much chance of the 780ti coil whining as there is a 290x coil whining..

The guy was running Cloud Gate, many cards will coil whine because it generate >9000 fps. 

My Sapphire 7950 did.

My friend's MSI GTX 680 Lightning did.

My friend's MSI GTX 760 Gaming did.

My friend's Asus 280x DCU2 did.

My customer Zotac 770 AMP did.

My friend's Asus GTX660 didn't.

My customer Zotac 760 Ref didn't.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If the PSU has enough amps to feed the card then no you will not get coil whine.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

If the PSU has enough amps to feed the card then no you will not get coil whine.

Not how it works...

Its about how well the components are made and soldered to the board, japanese capacitors usually dont whine much(could happen but unlikley) because they are solid, open capacitors often whine(used often on cheaper made electronics). Age can make a capacitor whine because of the heat/cold of turning the device on and off. The whine is a vibration caused from the capacitors not seated properly or its of low quality.

My 3 7990 that I tested and returned had so bad whine it was unbearable, the worst I have ever heard actually, so I am guessing AMD is still suffering from whine....

Although Nvidia is not all roses they have it less frequently, maybe better quality control, dont really know. Although my 2 780 whine in some games its just really small whine can only notice it if I stick my ear inside the case and near the cards.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Sry but that sounds like a fan bearing going out to me. I would stop the fan for a second and see if the sound goes away. I think you will end up RMAing the card either way.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

290x is a boss for coil whine, if I was gonna get one, I'd wait for one with an aftermarket cooler, IE: Gigabyte Windforce, MSI TwinFrozr, etc...

• 1 month later...

My first card had BAD coil whine, After a month it's completely gone. Just put in my second card for XFire & the coil whine is as bad as the first one was. Now I wait.

But it does tend to go away after some use most of the time.

Cheers

Mat

Neeecroooooooooophiliac!

Also, I made it through 9 seconds of that video before the sound got to me.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

get a rm power supply my card did the same thing and swapped out the power supply and all my problems with coil wine was fixed

See plenty of the fan boys rolling into this thread. But lots of people who speak sense, this can happen to any card with any PSU. And the problem doesn't lie in either the Red or Green camps. But if it makes you feel better my Asus 290x has no whine, but that means nothing since it could happen to any PSU/GPU.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I can confirm my 780 Ti does indeed get coil whine much like my 660 ti did,

my 660 ti main coil whine game was starcraft 2, my 780 ti's main coil whine

game is world of warcraft, I swear it has something to do with just blizzard games,

give my 780 ti a game like bioshock or BF4, absolutely no coil whine, give it world

of warcraft, and it cry's like a damn baby, it doesn't bother me tho, not loud enough

to cause me to RMA or anything like that

Have a Sapphire card, can confirm this doesn't happen on Sapphire. 

Unless you have handled every single of the Sapphire cards, I don't think you can.

Coil whine can happen to any card.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My 780 Classified is the first card I've owned in a while to barely have coil whine. It's there when I'm hitting 500fps but it's barely audible under water. The 670 FTW's I previously owned had god awful coil whine and it was even worse once I watercooled them!

That's music to my ears.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

My 780 did it for a a short time, I heard it running 3dMark but it stopped and haven't heard it since.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo