144hz 1080p or 2560x1440 60 hz?

Tall Gora

ok, so im seeing and reading alot of these 144hz monitor threads, and theres alot of them on here. I have a feeling that some people are gonna say "1440p no brainer" But i really want to know if 120/144 is so much smoother for FPS games. I play mostly FPS and colors on all TN panels i see are good enough for me, with some tweaking it will be great for my eyes. Some reviewers of the latest benq xl2420te monitor claim how amazing it is, and even linus said it was a great panel for gaming.

Basically i just want to know what the maximum net benefit (economics essay still in my head...) would be from the 2 alternatives of faster frame rates, or a higher pixel count. From what ive read im assuming higher pixels = better quality images but everyone argues so much over this topict that im still left confused :/ ugh... any comments much appreciated.

if you need the extra 'room' on your monitor go with the 1440p, you really play old school fast FPS's (CS, quake etc) you should get the 144Hz, dont think it justifies the price on BF4 or something because yuou need one hell of a rig to benefit it to its full potential, and its not that fast paced...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Get the 1440p screen no need for 144 hertz.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Get a monitor that can be upgraded to G-SYNC please and make sure it is compatible for an upgrade it'll be worth it.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Get the 1440p, but only if your rig can run it

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

@Tall Gora

higher pixels = better quality images but everyone argues so much over this topict that im still left confused :/

Yes more pixels like in a 2560 by 1600 will have more pixels then a generic full hd 1920 by 1080 screen, however the gpu grunt is almost doubled at that point so things like GPU SLI or Crossfire X technologies are used to get a better frame rate, frames per second and frame time. You could say that having no anti aliasing at 2560 by 1600 is better than 1080 with 8x fxaa.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Get a monitor that can be upgraded to G-SYNC please and make sure it is compatible for an upgrade it'll be worth it.

i prefer benq monitors from what ive used in the past, but i guess ASUS is exclusive for G sync for now huh?

Get the 1440p, but only if your rig can run it

planning on buying a R9 290X or 780 Ti soon, so yes the handling issue will soon be solved :)

i prefer benq monitors from what ive used in the past, but i guess ASUS is exclusive for G sync for now huh?

Yes but BenQ also has a contract with Nvidia about the G-Sync upgrade too

Yes but BenQ also has a contract with Nvidia about the G-Sync upgrade too

huh so wonder if it would work on their current gaming monitors?

Generally the very high speed panels don't have the best image quality as well.

I'm also waiting for a 1440/1600 G-Sync panel. I would suggest a larger 60hz panel over a smaller 144hz panel.

Is there any shops around you that you could go and have a look at? Though game testing might be hard, colour and viewing angles should be able to be tested.

huh so wonder if it would work on their current gaming monitors?

No it won't. The G-sync modules is a dedicated piece of hardware in the monitor that also replaces the monitors scaler. You will need a new monitor that supports it as well as a Kepler+ based GPU.

Asus, BenQ, ViewSonic and Philips are the current vendors making g-sync enabled monitors (although only Asus has announced one g-sync 1080p 144Hz monitor for $400).

"Donny you're out of your element!"

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

Only buy IPS unless you are playing competitive CS

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Only buy IPS unless you are playing competitive CS

Is IPS really that special? I have seen an IPS monitor, albeit only one at a local system builders shop, and im fine with the quality of a TN panel to be honest. Unless you can recommend a 24 inch IPS that wont break the bank, as long as it doesnt hurt FPS games, i would possibly consider.

No it won't. The G-sync modules is a dedicated piece of hardware in the monitor that also replaces the monitors scaler. You will need a new monitor that supports it as well as a Kepler+ based GPU.

Asus, BenQ, ViewSonic and Philips are the current vendors making g-sync enabled monitors (although only Asus has announced one g-sync 1080p 144Hz monitor for $400).

yea thats what i was wondering, if the asus model gets an upgrade kit, will the benq get an upgrade kit?

Is IPS really that special? I have seen an IPS monitor, albeit only one at a local system builders shop, and im fine with the quality of a TN panel to be honest. Unless you can recommend a 24 inch IPS that wont break the bank, as long as it doesnt hurt FPS games, i would possibly consider.

Any IPs monitor with a 5ms response time is good enough

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Wait for a 144Hz G-Sync Monitor or get the BENQ XL2420TE which according to linus is the best out there right now.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

that depends which one you need more. I use both 120Hz and 1440p monitor side by side. If people say they don't notice the difference then... they most likely haven't tried them on side by side. The difference is quite noticeable. It is true that the color on the TN panel is a horror compared to the IPS but there will always bee tradeoffs if you're looking for top tier products. 

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

that depends which one you need more. I use both 120Hz and 1440p monitor side by side. If people say they don't notice the difference then... they most likely haven't tried them on side by side. The difference is quite noticeable. It is true that the color on the TN panel is a horror compared to the IPS but there will always bee tradeoffs if you're looking for top tier products. 

what difference are you meaning? the Hz or 1440p image quality?

Both lol, one is better at the other

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

144Hz!

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Both lol, one is better at the other

lol i was meaning... which one do you prefer? side by side especially.

yea thats what i was wondering, if the asus model gets an upgrade kit, will the benq get an upgrade kit?

As far as I know, there is no such upgrade kit. Its a completely new Asus monitor SKU.

"Donny you're out of your element!"

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

lol i was meaning... which one do you prefer? side by side especially.

For fast pace gaming like COD and cs I go for the 120hz and sometimes I use it for 3D gaming/3D movies. Yes I know it's a gimmicky feature but heck I can show off to girls who comes over haha but movies look SO much better on the IPS