Reducing Single Points of Failure (SPoF) in Redundant Storage

I've never seen one before, do you know if it's a common practice? I would think that doing a RAID Z2 of mirrors would be better -- you'd get faster resilver times because you're rebuilding mirrors instead of a whole RAID Z2 in the event of a drive failure.

You loose a lot of space that way, it's more economical to stripe z2 or z3. As long as the disks are the same size I doubt you get longer resilvering times as its the same amount of writes.

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2016 at 3:42 AM, wpirobotbuilder said:

I've never seen one before, do you know if it's a common practice? I would think that doing a RAID Z2 of mirrors would be better -- you'd get faster resilver times because you're rebuilding mirrors instead of a whole RAID Z2 in the event of a drive failure.

Looks like you are thinking conventional RAID logic. In ZFS we are dealing with vdevs. If you have 2x6 RAIDZ2 vdevs you can either stripe them or mirror them, however there will be no change in rebuild times because a vdev is its own. I wouldn't make a mirror out if 2 vdevs. You usually make the mirrored, smaller vdevs first, then stripe or mirror them. For example, if you want to make RAID10 or similar, you make several small 2-disk mirror vdevs and then throw them into pool, being the "big vdev". Right now I run a 6x6TB raidz2 and if I needed more space, I would have to make another of the same vdev and then add it to the pool (striping).

• 7 months later...

Instead of Raid 60 across multiple controllers why not a redundant controller device with a replicated copy of it's data on another device.

Look at a NetApp cluster of 2x FAS 2552s, The two devices each have two controlelrs (servers) built into each that work together and are cross wired for SAS. If one of the servers were to restart, fail etc the other takes over until it's partner returns. On the second FAS 2552 you could configure a SnapVault to take copys of the data from the first FAS and in the event of a failure on the first simply take over it's job.

I'm expaining this poorly I think.

FAS 2552 - 1

[{server 1 with disks}{server 2 with disks}] SAS between all wired together                    

(super important volume one on Virtual interface with ip 10.0.0.10, if Server 1 fails server 2 takes the Virtual interface and access the disks through the shared SAS cabling)

2x 10 Gbit High Speed connection each (2x switches interconnected with 4x interconnects, one conection per switch for redundancy) for inter cluster talk (internal data transfer)

FAS 2552 -2

[{server with disks}{server with disks} ]SAS between all wired together

(Snap mirror/vault/metro...whatever of data from super important volume on FAS 2552 -1, if FAS 2552-1 fails, FAS2552-2 can provide the version of the data it has with the same IP as the virtual LIF from FAS2552-1) when you fail back you can reverse update the original volume to get data back to current.

Again I'm terrible at explaining so here.NetApp-High-Availability-Architecture.jp

Edit:FFS sorry for the necro. to much work in this post to just delete and hide embarrassment.

• 1 year later...

Doesn't NetApp use something called Waffle for how their file system/drives are setup to be redundent @Dlog

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

The gasket between the chair and the keyboard.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.