Tobben's 4P Build Log, 48 core folder. (mini-Malossi)

you broke a nokia.... you are a GOD!!!!

. Its a first for the world

just for poops and giggles put your gpu in there and game on it :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

just for poops and giggles put your gpu in there and game on it :D

It could likely play games, but i doubt very well. Windows 7 was written with single CPU boards in mind, and you can only use dual sockets with the Professional or Ultimate editions. There is no support for a quad.

But lets say you ran it in Linux, you could WINE about any game you wanted. The drivers suck, and may not work at all. Its a fun idea though.

If you got everything setup though, and working wonderfully. Those CPU's put out enough heat to cook hot-dogs. So you can snack while gaming  :D

I can almost roast marshmallows from the exhaust of my 2P

~Judah

Does RAM effect Folding performance?

Awesome build BTW.

that is arguable... some people mean the ram speeds and timings can make a big difference while others says it doesn't matter ... i don't have the funds to test it out for myself so i really don't know, i do think stable proper ram makes a difference when overclocking though, when it comes to the ammount you don't really need more than 1-2 GB sticks.

It could likely play games, but i doubt very well. Windows 7 was written with single CPU boards in mind, and you can only use dual sockets with the Professional or Ultimate editions. There is no support for a quad.

But lets say you ran it in Linux, you could WINE about any game you wanted. The drivers suck, and may not work at all. Its a fun idea though.

If you got everything setup though, and working wonderfully. Those CPU's put out enough heat to cook hot-dogs. So you can snack while gaming  :D

I can almost roast marshmallows from the exhaust of my 2P

but if your going to try notifie my i would like to know how it goed 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

ok people, i updated the build log once again refer to update 3 on page 1, i might just do a final update later on when everything has settled in and i have cleaned up the setup and changed a few things, that would be sometimes in the  future though, probably not in the upcoming days.

Hehe .. well .. i added a couple of fans because it was getting alittle bit toasty, thank god i didn't get the 6180 se chips!

so far it seems pretty silent, i think the fan that's making almost all the noise is the pesky micro fan that comes stock with the heatsink on the board, which is a pretty annoying high pitched sound, it could be alot worse though, it's not THAT loud, overall it's actually more silent than my main rig, well .. i wouldn't say more silent .. i guess it's pretty much as noisy :P, well .. its' pretty darn noisy xD, that's fine though, at night i can listen to this instead of my tinnitus.

just for reference.

post-955-0-01872800-1383512571_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-45430100-1383512592_thumb.jpg

one fan just chilling ontop of the ram, placed it there to help out the 2 heatsinks that are cramped together

post-955-0-81410500-1383512610_thumb.jpg

also added a fan to the front to help scoop up some of that fresh air, i should probably get a 200mm - 220mm fan for the front to blow some fresh air across the board, the fans im using now are just some generic cooler master case fans from a couple of old systems, you can also see the ever so annoying crappy micro fan here.

post-955-0-94180200-1383513140_thumb.jpg

just wanted to add that the fan on my corsair rm 850w psu is on at all times which indicates that im using a fair bit of power here, it is probably the least audible of all the fans though, completely silent, in fact it barely spins in the first place.

I was going to a comment about the fans - glad to see you add that, you definitely want one blowing air under the board and across the main part. One of the reason's why I like my case with all the fan mount options on an open frame. Great job on this.

Water cooling... meh... $500 for blocks and you need a lot of rad space and good fans to actually keep it cool enough to make it worth it. You might quiet it down a bit, but not a whole lot. 

And for others reading - many Xeon chips themselves will only work with ECC ram in combination with the board being used. Where as most AMD systems with SuperMicro boards can use non ECC memory. Check my 4P build log, I am using some DDR3 memory recommend as it OC's really well. :) Can't do that with ECC.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

post-7162-0-47417200-1383546328.jpg

Get rid of them mouse/kb/monitor cables... go headless with the IPMI! :D .  

And for others reading - many Xeon chips themselves will only work with ECC ram in combination with the board being used. Where as most AMD systems with SuperMicro boards can use non ECC memory. Check my 4P build log, I am using some DDR3 memory recommend as it OC's really well. :) Can't do that with ECC.

Interesting, didn't know that.  Does folding 4P benefit from extra ram and speed?  Though I would only do that for non critical use.  Good thing ECC isn't that much more these days.

My Rigs (past and present)

congratulations on the build looks awesome should be able to get some impressive numbers from it. 

Awesome! So this is why winter in Norway is starting out surprisingly lukewarm. :D

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Get rid of them mouse/kb/monitor cables... go headless with the IPMI! :D .  

well i have been considering it and i will take a look at it, but right now i haven't got that far, im currently in the process of adding some basic cable management, was just at the store picking up supplies, i might keep the direct control for now considering that it is literally right above my head from where i sleep and right next to my desk.

just finished a 8103 unit with 76% of time remaining until deadline, and that was with a few setbacks probably adding up to a couple of hours.

sweet 4p machine but the price DAMN!!!!!

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I was going to a comment about the fans - glad to see you add that, you definitely want one blowing air under the board and across the main part. One of the reason's why I like my case with all the fan mount options on an open frame. Great job on this.

woo! whaler, thanks for the reply, i did consider drilling some holes and attaching a fan to the bottom and run the cord up through one of the holes, but well .. i don't really want to do anything to weaken the shelf, even though it's pretty sturdy, i will probably modify this alittle bit at the time for a long time to come adding tweaks and bits here and there.

(he had to reply as i have been pestering him for about a month now, poor whaler  :P)

congratulations on the build looks awesome should be able to get some impressive numbers from it. 

thanks, i will be adding some numbers and whatnot, probably a picture once i get it sorted out.

Awesome! So this is why winter in Norway is starting out surprisingly lukewarm. :D

it really wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, if anything i wish it was colder outside so i wouldn't risk burning down the house!.

( max temp i have seen so far seems to be 46*c, never past that so far, these cpu's shouldn't really go above 50*c, however the cpu's are big so that times 4 + the motherboard is frigging hot aswell, so it ends up throwing out a shitload of heat )

haha yeahhh i know... i love the machine, it's fantastic, but it did cost me ALOT of cash..

you could probably get it a bit cheaper if you are lucky on your location and take it VERY slow and easy, also get a few very lucky deals, buying used parts etc, downside with taking it slow is that warranty return rights and whatnot will wear out while you are trying to collect all the parts.... i did it very slow and carefully .. but you can see the end result of that ..

you broke a nokia.... you are a GOD!!!!

. Its a first for the world

well actually guys .. funny thing, the screen is two layered, a thick outer protective layer which is still 100% intact, and the inner layer the actual screen which is the one that broke.. the screen actually looks fine, but it's cracked on the inside so you just get a colorfull mess, the phone still seems fine, alive and kicking (atleast i think so), but i can't interact with it due to broken screen, which is hilarious..... 

put my sim card into another phone and it was locked so that i needed the puk code, perhaps even the touch screen is alive, just not the visual part, if that's true i can use the phone blindly.

well actually guys .. funny thing, the screen is two layered, a thick outer protective layer which is still 100% intact, and the inner layer the actual screen which is the one that broke.. the screen actually looks fine, but it's cracked on the inside so you just get a colorfull mess, the phone still seems fine, alive and kicking (atleast i think so), but i can't interact with it due to broken screen, which is hilarious..... 

put my sim card into another phone and it was locked so that i needed the puk code, perhaps even the touch screen is alive, just not the visual part, if that's true i can use the phone blindly.

Its still broken.

Its still broken.

just saying, nokia is nokia :P, still breathing.

Questionj to you did you bought the parts new? or second handed? if yes please share the store where you bought them. i want to make it to :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Questionj to you did you bought the parts new? or second handed? if yes please share the store where you bought them. i want to make it to :)

i bought everything new except for the processors, processors were bought off of ebay after some negotiation with the seller and shipped from south korea.. motherboard was also bought on ebay shipped from the us, i bought 2 kinds of ram from different stores within Norway, psu and cpu coolers were also bought seperate from stores in Norway, let me tell you, buying parts is one giant mess.. overall i think i bought from atleast 4 different stores in Norway and 2 different places international, aside from mounting the non native heatsinks parts buying was by far the worst, took me nearly a month :P.

i was waiting for possible sponsorship and whatnot that never came through .. so you will probably have alot less hassle than what i did, if you really wan't to build a 4p machine i would suggest looking at whaler's build log and check out all the sources, also have a look at my sources at the bottom of the log on the 1st page, check out the general overview ones, they give advise for parts, where to buy them etc.

remember the import rules in your country plays a big part to the buying process, i wanted to buy most of the things i could buy within my borders because of import taxes and whatnot, then again, everything in this country is silly expensive sooooo yeahh :P

FYI - get some standoffs, even some plastic ones, to just raise the board up about a inch or so from the surface, then that fan you have in front can get some airflow underneath...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

FYI - get some standoffs, even some plastic ones, to just raise the board up about a inch or so from the surface, then that fan you have in front can get some airflow underneath...

the motherboard is raised alittle, it's standing on the screw head + 2 washers, it is elevated by an inch ish, wouldn't hurt to give it alittle bit more space, but it's okay temporarily, having screws that were to long sort of turned out in my favor as it gave the motherboard a bit of breathing room, going to get a 200mm fan this week, considered getting a 230mm one but .. they cost like one third more than the 200mm one so that's a no go.

oh, i forgot to mention, there are ALOT more affordable solutions if you go with different hardware(still 4p), you really don't have go full out with 6000+ series processors and g34 motherboard, the buying process should be somewhat easy if you simply didn't care about how much you spend, but most people do, hence it can end up being messy and difficult :P.

well i have been considering it and i will take a look at it, but right now i haven't got that far, im currently in the process of adding some basic cable management, was just at the store picking up supplies, i might keep the direct control for now considering that it is literally right above my head from where i sleep and right next to my desk.

just finished a 8103 unit with 76% of time remaining until deadline, and that was with a few setbacks probably adding up to a couple of hours.

The IPMI function has some pretty useful functions such as system stats independent of the OS.  In case you're wondering how your cooling solution is doing, aside from saving desk real estate, less cables, freeing monitor and even rid of the optical drive  :lol: 

post-7162-0-40539400-1383818872_thumb.jp

(in case anybody interested... )

Supermicro's instructions are sparse, so here's the "in a nutshell" version with link to correct software: 

-plug the network cable into the ipmi network port,

-install IPMIView  on your other computer

-add server (file > new > system) using ip address of ipmi port given by your router. ok 

-double click new server and log in (default username is "ADMIN" no password ).  

-KVM Console tab > Launch KVM Console

-It can be used alongside the cabled connection.

My Rigs (past and present)