ASUS PA279Q - where to buy

LinusTech

Why do you keep on discouraging people not to use HDMI?

HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 both support greater than HD resolutions:

• HDMI 1.3 supports 2560x1600 @ 75Hz
  • HDMI 1.4 supports 4K (3840x2160) @ 30Hz

There as also a new version HDMI 2.0 released about 2 months ago that support 4K @ 60Hz.

I know a single DisplayPort can power multiple monitors, but AFAIK that's the only advantage it has now.

HDMI 1.3 is supported by AMD cards since Evergreen (5000 series). I wasn't able to find the data on GeForce cards, but I imagine it's been support for at least 3-4 years.

the lack of a locking connector is reason enough. Also HDMI is proprietary so it would be cheaper to implement just DP.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

the lack of a locking connector is reason enough. Also HDMI is proprietary so it would be cheaper to implement just DP.

Those aren't really very strong reasons. Is locking connector really such a problem when you only move the display and the PC once every 3-4 months?

The problem I had with this review is that it sounds like Linus is saying not to use HDMI as it doesn't support higher-than-HD resolutions, but I don't think that's true based on the specs of the HDMI 1.3 and above I stated in my previous post.

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Those aren't really very strong reasons. Is locking connector really such a problem when you only move the display and the PC once every 3-4 months?

The problem I had with this review is that it sounds like Linus is saying not to use HDMI as it doesn't support higher-than-HD resolutions, but I don't think that's true based on the specs of the HDMI 1.3 and above I stated in my previous post.

im pretty sure that you should support the more open display standard that is DP out of principle.

Also the current revision of DP has almost the same bandwidth as the upcoming HDMI 2.0 so HDMI 2.0 is already irrelevant.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I have the pb238q and their built-in speakers are just awful, I wonder how good the ones in the pa279q are.

Sorry Linus, but the Korean 1440p monitors are still the best bang for the buck, and are IPS displays. I've owned one for 2 years and it doesn't even have a dead pixel yet. Not to mention you can buy perfect pixel models for $20 more that are guaranteed to not have dead pixels, as well as having a 1 year warranty. Your biggest complaint in the past was the lack of a warranty, but that is no longer the case.

Oh and guess what? You can overclock them beyond 100hz.

They simply BLOW this monitor out of the water, and are 35% of the price.

I really don't know why you keep pushing propaganda for other hardware and ignoring the Korean panels. There is an entire user base on several forums that use them. You claim to be in the know regarding tech, but it seems you're missing something right in front of your face... =/

Have fun when it breaks like they are going to pay for the shipping back to Korea and what customer support do they have? I don't know what brand you in particular you like but I have been looking into some that have such cheap generic plastics shells with OSD buttons that don't work and only 1 input and must have power adapters for use in North America. What is the point of overclocking if not gaming? the high quality $800 displays aren't meant for gaming so they don't need to be overclocked.  

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Sorry Linus, but the Korean 1440p monitors are still the best bang for the buck, and are IPS displays. I've owned one for 2 years and it doesn't even have a dead pixel yet. Not to mention you can buy perfect pixel models for $20 more that are guaranteed to not have dead pixels, as well as having a 1 year warranty. Your biggest complaint in the past was the lack of a warranty, but that is no longer the case.

Oh and guess what? You can overclock them beyond 100hz.

They simply BLOW this monitor out of the water, and are 35% of the price.

I really don't know why you keep pushing propaganda for other hardware and ignoring the Korean panels. There is an entire user base on several forums that use them. You claim to be in the know regarding tech, but it seems you're missing something right in front of your face... =/

Hes ignoring them because they are cheaply made, have fun with your warranty when it breaks, you're going to atleast pay for the monitor in shipping when you're done with it.

im pretty sure that you should support the more open display standard that is DP out of principle.

Also the current revision of DP has almost the same bandwidth as the upcoming HDMI 2.0 so HDMI 2.0 is already irrelevant.

Supporting DP is not what I had beef with in this video. I'm all for DP as it's a good standard and all. It's just the fact that Linus made it sound like HDMI actually won't work, which doesn't seem to be true.

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Why do you keep on discouraging people not to use HDMI?

HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 both support greater than HD resolutions:

• HDMI 1.3 supports 2560x1600 @ 75Hz
  • HDMI 1.4 supports 4K (3840x2160) @ 30Hz

There as also a new version HDMI 2.0 released about 2 months ago that support 4K @ 60Hz.

I know a single DisplayPort can power multiple monitors, but AFAIK that's the only advantage it has now.

HDMI 1.3 is supported by AMD cards since Evergreen (5000 series). I wasn't able to find the data on GeForce cards, but I imagine it's been support for at least 3-4 years.

Several 1440p monitors don't have support for 2560x1440 through hdmi, because they don't want to pay the extra fee when these "professional" oriented monitors will be most likely attached with dvi or display port.

This seems like a really interesting monitor. I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to daisy-chain 3 of these together, right? But powering a second PA279Q with the primary one's DP should theoretically work, right? Then I guess you'd have to run one on DVI and two on DP when using a single 680... And I'm guessing same setup would be true if I were to upgrade to a 780Ti down the line...Hmmm...

Cheers,

Linus

But that isn't what he was saying though. He was saying that your 590 doesn't support 10 bit colour. Wether it made a difference or not he was saying it didn't make a difference.

He didn't say "your only gaming it doesn't matter" your accepting his answer even though it's wrong. 

He miss informed people. Please correct him. People buy $400+ gpu's because of what you say. doing this doesn't help.

He was wrong. Just admit it so people can get the correct information. Not "well; he was somewhat right in some sense" You are protecting him and fucking over the customer. Help the consumer who spends the money. If you lie how can we trust you? That seems to be what your are doing. Lie to protect him. He didn't know what he was talking about but you still stand up for him. Admit he was wrong. Inform people properly and do your channel the proper way of teaching, not lying to protect people even if they are mis informed.

You can not honestly say he was right.  Admit it and help the consumer. He needs to admit he doesn't always know what he is talking about. Sometimes he is wrong.

Just because you are only gaming doesn't mean it doesn't support 10bit. That was what he's saying. 

Want to be a boss of a company? Yea tell people they are wrong. It sucks I know that happened to me but it's the truth. Not everyone is correct and knows everything. He should say "no i'm not sure" instead of "yea I understand" and lie to people." In my job that is a disqualification. No if, and, or buts. Fired for lying. 

Maybe once you get a bigger company you will realize that. You can not have people lying just to keep you happy.

(Make you feel better but that fucks over your company.) which many people besides myself realize. If they lie to their boss, they have no problem lying to sponsors or customers/consumers. 

I understand your point but I think you're being overly harsh here. Cut Linus and Slick some slack.

• 4 weeks later...

But that isn't what he was saying though. He was saying that your 590 doesn't support 10 bit colour. Wether it made a difference or not he was saying it didn't make a difference.

He didn't say "your only gaming it doesn't matter" your accepting his answer even though it's wrong. 

He miss informed people. Please correct him. People buy $400+ gpu's because of what you say. doing this doesn't help.

He was wrong. Just admit it so people can get the correct information. Not "well; he was somewhat right in some sense" You are protecting him and fucking over the customer. Help the consumer who spends the money. If you lie how can we trust you? That seems to be what your are doing. Lie to protect him. He didn't know what he was talking about but you still stand up for him. Admit he was wrong. Inform people properly and do your channel the proper way of teaching, not lying to protect people even if they are mis informed.

You can not honestly say he was right.  Admit it and help the consumer. He needs to admit he doesn't always know what he is talking about. Sometimes he is wrong.

Just because you are only gaming doesn't mean it doesn't support 10bit. That was what he's saying. 

Want to be a boss of a company? Yea tell people they are wrong. It sucks I know that happened to me but it's the truth. Not everyone is correct and knows everything. He should say "no i'm not sure" instead of "yea I understand" and lie to people." In my job that is a disqualification. No if, and, or buts. Fired for lying. 

Maybe once you get a bigger company you will realize that. You can not have people lying just to keep you happy.

(Make you feel better but that fucks over your company.) which many people besides myself realize. If they lie to their boss, they have no problem lying to sponsors or customers/consumers. 

Have a private word with an employee and publicly back them up = good boss.

Publicly throw an employee under the bus = worst boss.

Fractal Design Define XL R2. Now I just need to fill it with bits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. 

Just wondering if someone could help shed a bit of light on an issue I have been having for the past few months. What is it you ask? Well, it's the issue of horrendous backlight bleed on IPS panels. I've tried Viewsonic's VP2770 which had a strange colour tint to them as well as a dead pixel on one unit, I then tried a couple of Dell U2713HM's which had some horrid yellow backlight bleed across the whole of the display and finally today I received a Asus PA279Q.

It's colour reproduction is fantastic, if not slightly eye-wateringly over saturated at first. However, It seems as though the bad luck is still with me and it appears I have some pretty bad backlight bleed.

Anyone have any input on these images? Should I return the unit, RMA it, try again?

http://imgur.com/a/9tc7c

First image is on 0% brightness, 75% contrast

Second and Third images are at 50% brightness and 75% contrast

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Just wondering if someone could help shed a bit of light on an issue I have been having for the past few months. What is it you ask? Well, it's the issue of horrendous backlight bleed on IPS panels. I've tried Viewsonic's VP2770 which had a strange colour tint to them as well as a dead pixel on one unit, I then tried a couple of Dell U2713HM's which had some horrid yellow backlight bleed across the whole of the display and finally today I received a Asus PA279Q.

It's colour reproduction is fantastic, if not slightly eye-wateringly over saturated at first. However, It seems as though the bad luck is still with me and it appears I have some pretty bad backlight bleed.

Anyone have any input on these images? Should I return the unit, RMA it, try again?

http://imgur.com/a/9tc7c

First image is on 0% brightness, 75% contrast

Second and Third images are at 50% brightness and 75% contrast

Thanks!

I would definitely try to rma it, you paid $800 or so, it better be damn perfect!

• 6 months later...

Why go for that when you can buy a 4k monitor for the same price?

Is it better than a 4k ?

Why go for that when you can buy a 4k monitor for the same price?

Is it better than a 4k ?

This is a editing monitor. 10 bit panel, 14 bit lookup table, its for some serious color work and grading. 

4K isn't even a thing right now. The hardware required to push it is expensive and not practical.