ASUS PA279Q - where to buy

LinusTech

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1izoKWp

Amazon: http://geni.us/F7sR

My new favourite. I've said for a long time that I prefer accurate colour reproduction, wicked viewing angles, and more resolution to the typical "gaming LCD", which will have faster refresh rates and pixel response times, but generall sacrifice those other things.

With its 10-bit panel, 14-bit LUT, and factory calibration, this is pretty much as good as it gets, and when you factor in that it costs less than $1000... It's amazing how much LCD technology has changed at the high end in the last few years when it's basically just been sitting stagnant on the low end.

Finally an Asus PA series 1440, yet another monitor to consider in my hunt for the perfect 1440 monitor. I guess this gives the dell u2713hm a run for its money.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

new video, youtube.com, go to linus tech, nope nothing, even though it's here

hmm I wonder why people are pushing videos to there own sites. You should start doing the same.

Video is unlisted nvm ignore that.

I heard before these don't work great for video games. DO video games no display 10 bit only 8 bit? or has that since changed for the newest games?

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

new video, youtube.com, go to linus tech, nope nothing, even though it's here

hmm I wonder why people are pushing videos to there own sites. You should start doing the same.

It's just part of my process. I have to create this thread BEFORE the video goes live so I can link to it in the video description right when it goes up. The video is published now.

I wish this was $500...I think I may have to settle for the PB278Q when I buy my 1440p monitor :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Lol, this video was just published and there's already one dislike. Do people subscribe to you just to dislike the video?...Dem trolls.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Lol, this video was just published and there's already one dislike. Do people subscribe to you just to dislike the video?...Dem trolls.

I guess someone doesn't like the price. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

It's just part of my process. I have to create this thread BEFORE the video goes live so I can link to it in the video description right when it goes up. The video is published now.

yea I edited my post once I saw that and clicked on the video. I know you asked TotalBiscuit this question of if he has a failsafe and I'm sure your glad you have the forum as part of the reason as it is a failsafe to post your videos if youtube fails someday (which like all technology ites) it will.

Can anyone answer the second question. Do newer games use 10 bit. Will there be a difference? Or only 8 bit still?

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I wish this was $500...I think I may have to settle for the PB278Q when I buy my 1440p monitor :P

Wait a few years and it will be :3

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

--snip--

Also a secondary question. And I'm hoping you of all people asked this because you are big into "the monitor is as great or greater" than the gpu.

Did you ask if g-sync would be coming to IPS/PLS or is it only TN for the first while. Or 'no comment.' Or should I say 'I don't know anything, even if I did, I don't." (Like the 780ti) lol

I saw this in person about a week back next to a PB monitor. Beautiful panel! Anyway, does a 10-bit panel work to its full potential with a modern regular graphics card? By regular I mean a GeForce or Radeon, not a Quadro or FirePro.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I saw this in person about a week back next to a PB monitor. Beautiful panel! Anyway, does a 10-bit panel work to its full potential with a modern regular graphics card? By regular I mean a GeForce or Radeon, not a Quadro or FirePro.

10bit pannel's has worked since the 480. That's why I was wondering WTF slick was complaining about when linuis said last week he was taking the 10bit panel at home. All Nvidia GPU's since the 480 have worked on 10bit.

I got mad at that live stream because he didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to gpu's. He acts like he knows about tech but he really doesn't.

Whenever linus asks him a question about old tech he's always like yes yea but has no idea wtf he's talking about

480/580/680/780 and of course workstation cards since than work on 10 bit.

I actually don't think the pricing is that bad, especially considering the market they are trying to sell to. People in CAD design and Photography will easily spend 3-4K on a workstation PC. Also I didn't know that Asus dropped their price on the PB278Q... Very tempting. 

the 10 bit panel yields no benefit in most applications. While the hardware on the GeForce graphics cards from the last few gens might support deep colour, the software applications themselves (games for example) don't support it on those cards.

Premiere is another example of software that only supports deep colour with a workstation card.

the 10 bit panel yields no benefit in most applications. While the hardware on the GeForce graphics cards from the last few gens might support deep colour, the software applications themselves (games for example) don't support it on those cards.

Premiere is another example of software that only supports deep colour with a workstat

I might be mean here, but you need to tell slick to calm the fuck down. He was so pissy when you said you were getting a 10 big panel. He was complaining it wouldn't do anything "even though it would"

I surprised you didn't speak up and say anything. He was wrong in what he said. A 10bit panel would make a difference. He was completely wrong in saying that your GPU wouldn't support your panel.

I might be mean here, but you need to tell slick to calm the fuck down. He was so pissy when you said you were getting a 10 big panel. He was complaining it wouldn't do anything "even though it would"

I surprised you didn't speak up and say anything. He was wrong in what he said. A 10bit panel would make a difference. He was completely wrong in saying that your GPU wouldn't support your panel.

wait... doesn't Linus have Titan now? I'm pretty sure that will run in 10 bit.

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

He wasn't wrong. The benefit to me is not nearly as significant as it would be to someone who actually does colour work.

Titan supports 10-bit (in hardware) but the issue is that none of the applications I use will support deep colour.

He wasn't wrong. The benefit to me is not nearly as significant as it would be to someone who actually does colour work.

Titan supports 10-bit (in hardware) but the issue is that none of the applications I use will support deep colour.

But that isn't what he was saying though. He was saying that your 590 doesn't support 10 bit colour. Wether it made a difference or not he was saying it didn't make a difference.

He didn't say "your only gaming it doesn't matter" your accepting his answer even though it's wrong. 

He miss informed people. Please correct him. People buy $400+ gpu's because of what you say. doing this doesn't help.

He was wrong. Just admit it so people can get the correct information. Not "well; he was somewhat right in some sense" You are protecting him and fucking over the customer. Help the consumer who spends the money. If you lie how can we trust you? That seems to be what your are doing. Lie to protect him. He didn't know what he was talking about but you still stand up for him. Admit he was wrong. Inform people properly and do your channel the proper way of teaching, not lying to protect people even if they are mis informed.

You can not honestly say he was right.  Admit it and help the consumer. He needs to admit he doesn't always know what he is talking about. Sometimes he is wrong.

Just because you are only gaming doesn't mean it doesn't support 10bit. That was what he's saying. 

Want to be a boss of a company? Yea tell people they are wrong. It sucks I know that happened to me but it's the truth. Not everyone is correct and knows everything. He should say "no i'm not sure" instead of "yea I understand" and lie to people." In my job that is a disqualification. No if, and, or buts. Fired for lying. 

Maybe once you get a bigger company you will realize that. You can not have people lying just to keep you happy.

(Make you feel better but that fucks over your company.) which many people besides myself realize. If they lie to their boss, they have no problem lying to sponsors or customers/consumers. 

Linus........ your fast paced unboxing/overview videos really takes a flow/quality dip when suddenly braking for a commercial within the video.

Im just saying things are fast getting to be a bit too stressful and commercial for my liking....

I appreciate yall need to make money. Thats why i choose to disable Adblock, become a member on the forum, follow on social platforms and support a lot of your affillate links.

I sincerely hope this is not a planned strategy for increased revenue.

I dont know if its me not being a native american.... but I find the "stress-level" in your videos already right up there due to your natural high pitched voice and extremely fast pace. To me the added commercial was a MAJOR turn off.

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /

my only issue is that this is a professional display but it is not 2560x1600. I mean come on ASUS, even your 24 inch PA models are 1920x1200.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

So, is there any other monitor with that image quallity, but 24 inch?

Because i cant buy one that bigger

Sorry Linus, but the Korean 1440p monitors are still the best bang for the buck, and are IPS displays. I've owned one for 2 years and it doesn't even have a dead pixel yet. Not to mention you can buy perfect pixel models for $20 more that are guaranteed to not have dead pixels, as well as having a 1 year warranty. Your biggest complaint in the past was the lack of a warranty, but that is no longer the case.

Oh and guess what? You can overclock them beyond 100hz.

They simply BLOW this monitor out of the water, and are 35% of the price.

I really don't know why you keep pushing propaganda for other hardware and ignoring the Korean panels. There is an entire user base on several forums that use them. You claim to be in the know regarding tech, but it seems you're missing something right in front of your face... =/

Why do you keep on discouraging people not to use HDMI?

HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 both support greater than HD resolutions:

• HDMI 1.3 supports 2560x1600 @ 75Hz
  • HDMI 1.4 supports 4K (3840x2160) @ 30Hz

There as also a new version HDMI 2.0 released about 2 months ago that support 4K @ 60Hz.

I know a single DisplayPort can power multiple monitors, but AFAIK that's the only advantage it has now.

HDMI 1.3 is supported by AMD cards since Evergreen (5000 series). I wasn't able to find the data on GeForce cards, but I imagine it's been support for at least 3-4 years.

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo