Project Ara. Motorola's response to phoneblox

EYCEthebest003

A while back, a concept called phoneblox emerged.  It was a concept that would allow users to replace the hardware in their phone in order to keep their phones up to date with the latest and fastest hardware.  While the idea was cool, it was generally received as impossible and over ambitious.

ENTER PROJECT ARA

If somebody was to make phoneblox a reality, it would probably be google and motorola, their (somewhat) newly acquired handset manufacturer.

http://phandroid.com/2013/10/29/motorola-project-ara/

Ever since google acquired Motorola, we have seen some interesting new products, namely, the Moto X.

Could this become a reality? Will it be a product for the masses?  I guess only time will tell!

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

Dayum

Hope this actually works though  :mellow:

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Seriously..... the search function DOES NOT WORK.  Better than vBullitin i guess... Whelp. I guess the mods can do as they please with this thread.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

I really hope this will work for them.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

So it seems that Motorola for the past year or so has been developing a modular phone like Phone Blocks so when Phone Blocks' idea came through they are thinking of working together... Just watch the video xD

Different source:

http://makewithmoto.com/

tumblr_mveneoOD2G1sm434so5_1280.jpg

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

open source hardware + open source software = god like

I think if this concept is worth it that we can actually create a fully open-source phone from the inside out

Top comment on the "Phonebloks" original video:

I just noticed something crazy. Check this out:

The article says Motorola has been working on this for a year now. That Phoneblox video went around at least a month ago. In the video, they give a specific date in the future for everyone to talk about how bad they want a phone like that. Guess what date it says in the video? 10/29/13, the day Motorola made this announcement.

If Motorola paid that guy to make that video this is like the best example of viral marketing I've ever seen in my life

If that is true, then...

5I7hwSW.gif

They definitely need to cover this on the WAN show. Certainly as Linus shot this idea down with some very truthful and key points. But, they seem to be problems that are being worked on proactively.

It's certainly a very new take on the phone and moves it in a very round about way to a new level, if this were to go through and become a product.

Although, it does smell a bit of advertising. The way he portrays Google and Motorola for example, it seems to clean. ^_^

Top comment on the "Phonebloks" original video:

If that is true, then...

5I7hwSW.gif

They definitely need to cover this on the WAN show. Certainly as Linus shot this idea down with some very truthful and key points. But, they seem to be problems that are being worked on proactively.

It's certainly a very new take on the phone and moves it in a very round about way to a new level, if this were to go through and become a product.

Although, it does smell a bit of advertising. The way he portrays Google and Motorola for example, it seems to clean. ^_^

I doubt it.... BUT that would be Insane if it was D:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I don't really want that to happen.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

I don't really want that to happen.

why?

it would be nice to exchange for example a louder speaker with a bigger battery or less memory but a better camera

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb