Phantom: Antique Noctua

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of a similar build quite some time ago but I was unsure how it would work out with the beige, brown and the other colors.

Yours looks really nice and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished build!

Keep it up.

144Hz goodness

I was thinking of a similar build quite some time ago but I was unsure how it would work out with the beige, brown and the other colors.

Yours looks really nice and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished build!

Keep it up.

Yeah, I can't wait either. I am having a big struggle with the fan controller LEDs to be honest. It's not going well. I spend 2 days and so far I only managed to get 1 LED out and that's about it. The anoying part is, the tin is stuck in one of the holes where my lead has to go in for the new LED. So I can't get the new LED in it. Will struggle a little more tomorrow. 

Aside from that, well i'm waiting for parts to arrive. Mostly the paint and cables with some small accessories. 

After I have those I will have to go work on my door and the fan holder. After that, I will get pretty close to the end. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

this is the best build idea ive seen in a while!

Ow wow, thanks for that. Always great to hear this. 

I honestly can't wait to get some more updates for you guys, especially the paint jobs. Once the painting is done it should bring the whole build more alive and in the state that I want it to be. 

Then it's the cables, LEDs and front door mod left to do. 

I am very much in a strugle with the LEDs it's kinda sad... today was not a good day either and I left the battle field with a little bit of anger. Will try a more brute and hopefully better working technique tomorrow if I have the time for it. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Dat SATA cable. :wub:

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

So I found my old, lost soldering iron wich worked a bunch better and with a little bit of brute force. I managed to desolder the LEDs! 
I sadly did not make to many pictures of the whole process. But to be fair, I allready did upload that. Only got 1 picture now, suprisingly enough.. my phone gets the color much better then my camera. It is still not like correct, again it looks much better in real life then on a picture. Here it is. ..this was the whole battle! /worth! 

79axc.jpg

Now for the way more interesting part.. I finally got paint. Because my sister could not make me the correct color that I asked for she never made anything. So I just ordered the same paint I used for the grill. Got here in 2 days and I instantly went for it. I made pictures on my phone as well.. wich made me forget to make them with my good camera, but hopefully you can enjoy it! 
As well, the colors are not 100% correctly pictured. They match slightly better irl then here. 

vYfXH5s.jpg?1

Supervisor cat having a look. 

vDkeFOS.jpg?1

Used the box of my monitor to use as underground. It was very windy outside so I moved into our shed... I don't know why I did not do this before! 

SyI7T8j.jpg?1

After 2 layers, this is how it looks. 

aht4DIx.jpg?1

3Losk7h.jpg?1

36xMElq.jpg?1

And this is the part where I made a bunch of pictures with my phone and forgot to make some with this good camera. So stealthy armor here! (sorry!)

79bVv.jpg79bXE.jpg

79c1Q.jpg

And here is me swapping out the fans from the NH-D14 to 2 times a N-F12.

k0AMdnl.jpg?1

And the whole board with all dust covers on or well.. almost all, I forgot to paint the RAM dust covers... woops! Will do this later. 

Y4X0y5m.jpg?1

On the picture below the color is actually quiet accurate. 

pGF7Er0.jpg?1

Q2Ci52w.jpg?1

Cat always making sure I am doing the right thing! Yes yes, static - I did not touch him and if I had to, I would just grab something metal and tada! 

udHDbaP.jpg?1

GPU installed. 

tT3ZE5P.jpg?1

Ow and little extra bit. I removed my cd drive! 

VEd2S6j.jpg?1

eyX2TVK.jpg?1

I actually do realize that I did not make a nice shot of the rig installed with the cables, yet.. So I will make this tomorrow and post it here again! 
Now, the last part was to put the backplate on my Classy! 

j40IX11.jpg?1

pK7124i.jpg?1

Yes this backplate looks way to good to paint it. So I decided to not paint it. I will paint the GPU itself later tho, when I get my cables. 
So this was it for now, no idea when I can give the next update. 

I am very happy about the result. Let me know what you think of it.

That motherboard matches perfectly  :wub:

Truly sexy

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

@Linus secretly faps to this daily.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

That motherboard matches perfectly  :wub:

Truly sexy

Hah, I am so happy with how it came out, looks amazing in real life. I really hope to be able to make good pictures with correct lightning and all to get the best and 

@Linus secretly faps to this daily.

Lol.. I am not to sure how to put this, but.. I would not mind!  :ph34r:

Well, it seems that the only way to make noctua fans "fit" in a build, is to paint the whole rig with the same color.

Looks good

Well, it seems that the only way to make noctua fans "fit" in a build, is to paint the whole rig with the same color.

Looks good

I disagree. Also for me that's too much noctua color.

Looks good

You could also go with black.

I actually rather like it, but I can see that for some it might be a bit much vanilla/sand. The

graphics card will hide quite a bit of it though.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I like it and all, but after my experience with nf-f12's I'd rather do something else.  Although it is unique.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

aww yiss

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Looking awesome man!

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Looks good

Hah, was kinda where I went for. Instead of matching the Noctua's with the rest of a build. Match the rest of the build with the Noctua's. 

I do know this, there are many people out here who don't like the colors of Noctua and I am fine with it. I personally love it so i'm very happy with the results so far. 

You could also go with black.

I actually rather like it, but I can see that for some it might be a bit much vanilla/sand. The

graphics card will hide quite a bit of it though.

Yes, I decided to keep the backplate as it is. It looks way to good anyway, so painting it would be to much color and just plain stupid because it looks amazing. 

As well, hurry up with the cables! (no pressure..) 

Be sure to check your PM, as you can see I managed to connect the cables directly to the fan controller and thus, don't need 3 to 4 pin fan cables anymore. 

I like it and all, but after my experience with nf-f12's I'd rather do something else.  Although it is unique.

What experience did you have? They broke? (warrenty!) Or did they not perform as you would want them? Or simply did not like the color? 

Unique is where I went for here. 

aww yiss

Looking awesome man!

Cheers! Really happy that others can enjoy this as well! 

SNIP

They weren't as quiet as people raved about them being, I replaced all of em with gentle typhoons, and have been much more happy with em.  I recently put 2 nf-f12's in the front for intakes, and even at 40% could still hear them with my ad900x's on, unplugged em and the noise was gone.

They're great performers don't get me wrong, but I don't think they're as great as their hype makes them out to be.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They weren't as quiet as people raved about them being, I replaced all of em with gentle typhoons, and have been much more happy with em.  I recently put 2 nf-f12's in the front for intakes, and even at 40% could still hear them with my ad900x's on, unplugged em and the noise was gone.

They're great performers don't get me wrong, but I don't think they're as great as their hype makes them out to be.

I dont know you might be more sensitive to the tone the NF-F12's make and less to the gentle typhoons. From my experience Noctua's are pretty damn quiet. Either way I think their hyped too much and you might have fallen into that but the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are great fan their just not PWM. :(

I dont know you might be more sensitive to the tone the NF-F12's make and less to the gentle typhoons. From my experience Noctua's are pretty damn quiet. Either way I think their hyped too much and you might have fallen into that but the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are great fan their just not PWM. :(

Yeah I think they're WAY over hyped, they're great fans and all, I just think there's better options out there for some people.

Yeah I think they're WAY over hyped, they're great fans and all, I just think there's better options out there for some people.

Well thats because people who dont even have them hype them. This happens with tons of stuff which is why there is a let down. I still think for most applications provided you pick the correct one its going to be hard to beat noctua's.

Well thats because people who dont even have them hype them. This happens with tons of stuff which is why there is a let down. I still think for most applications provided you pick the correct one its going to be hard to beat noctua's.

I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so loud above like.. 60%, but occasionally if I'm benchmarking or heavy overclocking for shits and giggles, I like turning the fans up, and the noctuas are like bang bang jet engine everywhere

I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so loud above like.. 60%, but occasionally if I'm benchmarking or heavy overclocking for shits and giggles, I like turning the fans up, and the noctuas are like bang bang jet engine everywhere

There is a whole list of high end fans that are louder or if their quieter dont perform nearly as well. Also NF-F12's are generally louder than the rest of the Noctua fleet. I have a feeling this is because of the focus flow bits on the back straightening out the air. From my experience this makes them quieter on a rad than a fan without them because without the focused flow bit the rad is actually straitening the air out.

Gentle Typhoons are a bit of a exception. Also if yo look at the Gentle Typhoon High Speed those work weird As they require more RPM to hit the same performance as other comparable fans but are still quieter.

Gentle Typhoons, Noiseblockers and Be Quiet!

Those 3 were on my list as well when I was looking for silent fans. I mostly went for Noctuas because many people hate the color and dont like it to much. While I agree that the colors are weird and hard to match in a build. I was like, well.. I'll just make them match my build.

I as well cant say much about the NF-F12 that is bad. Even when I turned them up to 100%. I could hear them, yes. But they were much more silent then the standard NZXT fan it replaced. Ofcourse, not the best comparison, but thats the only fans that I got.

I now swapped both of them on my NH-D14 and I cant hear the system at all. I do hear my classy when I game tho.

I do agree a little bit that they get hyped to much, they are not perfect. But they get the job done for me.

WOW!,  i really like the results

im not a fan of Noctua color but like this build, i love it

you give me a lot of idea to do a build with this color theme

keep us updated with a lot of pics, i want to see the final result

My Build Logs

Snef Bloody Angel --- Sand of God --- Red Poseidon --- Purple Chimera BOTM July 26 2013 --- Icy Blue Angel BOTM May 10 2013 --- Extremmme Red DemonBOTM March 29 2013