[Build Log] Poltergeist Z77

jscho

Hey everyone! :D 
Welcome to the build log (or upgrade log) for the system I've named "Poltergeist Z77".

"Poltergeist" means "noisy spirit". So, this build is a black and white themed build, and
I thought it was perfect for a "ghosty/spirity" sort of name. Poltergeist Z77 it became.

The CURRENT specs are as follows - This will be updated as the progress is made.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866Mhz
Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Corsair H60 2013
Samsung 840 Series 120GB
WD 1TB Green HDD
Some ghetto 80GB hard drive I scavenged from school, dedicated music drive.

---Future Upgrades!---
MAJOR:
Delidding of CPU - Completed
Custom sleeved cables - Designing soon
Custom watercooling loop - CPU only for the moment
          - Top 360mm rad - modded top panel and removal of 5.25" bays
Another GTX 680

MINOR:
Replacing my 2x4 kit of RAM with a 2x8 kit.
AverMedia Live Gamer HD PCIe Capture Card
A triple monitor mount - Aavara TS743 Triple Monitor Stand
A 2TB WD Green drive for backups and more storage

---Planned Cooling Parts---
Corsair SP120s
EK Supremacy Clean SCQ Acetal CPU block
Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Splooge
Primochill Rigid Tubing
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 360mm rad
Pump and res TBC - I'm looking for a small pump/res combo.

^^^ These will be updated as progress is made :D
---Table of Contents---

- Parts and Original Photos

- Delidding

I will document the entire process and I am very open to suggestions and feedback :) Thanks

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

< Reserved For Finished Pictures >

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

A spirit cannot create noise because it doesn't interact with out physical world in such a way to cause vibrations. Therefore, it shouldn't be called a "noisy spirit". Rather, consider "Pony Shrine Z77".

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

A spirit cannot create noise because it doesn't interact with out physical world in such a way to cause vibrations. Therefore, it shouldn't be called a "noisy spirit". Rather, consider "Pony Shrine Z77".

It's metaphorical ^_^ A ghost that manifests itself by noises, rappings, and the creation of disorder.

And we're talking ghosts here so I don't think we need to go into what's possible and what's not :D

A photo of the boxes.
post-6570-0-38153800-1371707533_thumb.jp

The "oh so sexy" memory
post-6570-0-31047500-1369444807_thumb.jp

The behemoth. Overclocks like a beast too ^_^
post-6570-0-01070900-1379075062_thumb.jp

The fans and accessories
post-6570-0-88970700-1382077596_thumb.jp

The "glory shot" of the build in it's current state. :D
post-6570-0-51737100-1382077613_thumb.jp

It needs theme music 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

It needs theme music 

<video>

Excellent choice my friend :wub:

Excellent choice my friend :wub:

I know right? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

+1

Nice! Very clean and tidy.

It needs theme music 

Yep, I have never heard of these people before but I enjoyed it :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Very nice.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

So I tried to delid today :/ I encountered some issues...

But first, I pulled off the Corsair H60 block, and found this...

The block hadn't been seated properly at all, and I was running 4.2Ghz with it like this.

I cleaned that mother up :wub:

post-6570-0-77540500-1382845991_thumb.jp

So here's where the delid issue comes in. My blade, it seems, is too thick. It came from
a Stanley knife. Will need to buy some thinner and/or sharper ones :(

I can't wedge it under the IHS to begin cutting. I was putting dents in the IHS by the
end. So I just  decided to leave it and put some new thermal splooge on there and
make sure it was seated properly this time.

The new seating actually made a significant difference! I cranked up Prime95 and
as it turned out I had a 8-10 degree drop in load temps! :o

looking good so far mate, keep the updates coming :)

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

So after a few stressful days, I successfully delidded my CPU. But there were issues

I got started, I was very nervous  :wacko: Trying my best to keep the blade as far away from the PCB and die as I could.

post-6570-0-88967600-1383188273_thumb.jp

And here we have it. :D

post-6570-0-55069000-1383188253_thumb.jp

Here's where the issues jump in. I was happy with the delid. I thought I did pretty well :) So off I went to reinstall it

and the cooler. As I booted the PC up, there wasn't anything on the screen. Nothing. And the RAM error post-LED

was on. Not usual. I tried everything everything I could to fix the RAM. I came to the conclusion that I had bricked

the CPU. :(

But this afternoon, I got home from school and started it. Same issue. I pulled the CPU out to have a good look to

make sure I hadn't scratched anything... Turns out I had...

post-6570-0-49284600-1383188620_thumb.jp

Top corner of the CPU, you can see a faint scratch. That's all it takes to break the CPU! I concluded that there

were RAM-related traces under there and was ready to chuck it out. But for some reason I decided to clean it up

the best I could and reinstall. I wasn't optimistic. I plugged it in and booted. The RAM LED flashed past like normal.

:o <<< was my exact expression. I quickly took it to my room and plugged it and bam. It booted :wub:

Currently on 4.2Ghz and barely reaching 75c. Considering the small cooler I have I'm quite impressed. I was in the

low-to-mid 80s non-delidded. I had significant results. I could potentially push it further, because 80c-85c is my

personal comfort zone, but we'll see :)

I woudn't delid again. Even with the results. It's too scary for me.  :D

Step One of my major checklist done :)

Awesome dude. Thanks for sharing.

I am delidding my 3570k eventually. I will be using the Vice + Hammer + Wood method. :P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I am delidding my 3570k eventually. I will be using the Vice + Hammer + Wood method. :P

Even though that's meant to be safer, to me that's scary stuff. Razor method for me when I upgrade next

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

well done  ;)  you should lap down IHS it should reduce your temps 5c also remove intel's retention mechanism and install your cooler directly on cpu (dont remove back plate just remove mechanism on the front) you can even do direct die cooling h60

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Even though that's meant to be safer, to me that's scary stuff. Razor method for me when I upgrade next

I probably would have used the hammer + vice technique if I had a vice available so I used a stanley knife blade :)

But in whole, delidding is scary. I was shaking SO much at first  :P But once I got that blade under the first corner, I was alright :)

well done  ;)  you should lap down IHS it should reduce your temps 5c also remove intel's retention mechanism and install your cooler directly on cpu (dont remove back plate just remove mechanism on the front) you can even do direct die cooling h60

Unfortunately the H60's retention bracket(s) doesn't appear to allow the block to sit low enough to sit directly on the die. It's kinda loose and flimsy as it is :( I'll have to experiment ;) But when I get round to a custom cooling loop (which is on my to-do list) I'll do a direct-on-die mount :D

Hey guys, quick update. I'm postponing any further improvements to this build until my next platform upgrade. Unfortunately my delid has been screwing with things, varying from crashes (sorted) to the two left DIMM slots unable to work. Everything is fine at the moment and I'm fearful that any other hardware changes may not work or render the machine useless. Removing the CPU has sparked issues both times after the delid. So I'm not touching it AT ALL unless absolutely necessary. Was going to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, and I might still, but the RAM channels seem to be a bit unstable, with all 4 DIMM slots once working, then after removing the CPU to give it a final clean has left the left two slots disabled.

This config will probably sit until Intel's next platform release. Most likely Broadwell this time, next year. This machine will serve very well until then :)

Thanks guys. I'll ressurect this thread when I get a new platform. Then the major upgrades will come :D