Quantum Minecraft

290X Performance

~~~George from Corsair

CoD players aren't gamers

Apple capacitive touch screen patent

< News Items >

Google quantum computing comes to Minecraft

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/10/minecraft_quantum/

brand new Quantum computer — one that it’s sharing with researchers at NASA’s Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California

Google’s Quantum AI Team wrote - “Where will future quantum computer scientists come from? Our best guess: Minecraft.”

The module is called qCraft, and while it’s not an exact simulation of quantum physics, it’s a nifty little learning module.

“It lets players experiment with quantum behaviors inside Minecraft’s world, with new blocks that exhibit quantum entanglement, superposition, and observer dependency.”

WATCH VIDEO

1800$ Playstation 4’s in Brazil

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/17/in-brazil-playstation-4-will-cost-over-1800

PlayStation 4 will cost a staggering R$3,999 which = about $1849

Claims its all because of Brazilian import tax

PlayStation 3 launched in Brazil in 2010 at R$1,999, or $924.69

Xbox One is launching in Brazil for $R2,199 ($R1,800 less)

There is no way import tax is actually that insane if PS3 was that much cheaper and Xbox One is that much cheaper

Apple Event this week + new TQ format

iPad Air

Macbook Pro with retina gets Haswel including Iris Pro + Crystalwel (128MB)

iWork free with software/hardware purchase

iPad Mini retina

new cases

TWITTER?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Topics -

George tell us about working for Corsair -

What do you do?

What are some of the challenges?

What are some of the things you enjoy?

What makes Corsair different from other companies

PC Per - Why graphics cards aren’t faster (Linus added this twice, prepare for nostalgia rant)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Next-Gen-Graphics-and-Process-Migration-20-nm-and-Beyond

process shrinking is getting more difficult with lower gains

The good times are past us - the massive increase in performance in super short time periods is gone

Somewhere in the middle may have been nice if we could have stayed there longer, not needing to upgrade every 3 months was nice but not needing to upgrade even after 5 years is kinda insane…

Do you feel like you’re going through something similar with PC cases?

Customers expect amazing innovations, better build quality and lower prices… Difficult to deliver with metal costs being what they are...

Twitter Blitz for George

Infinity ward claims many CoD players aren't hardcore Gamers… or even Gamers at all

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67731-infinity-ward-cod-players-arent-hardcore-gamers-or-even-gamers-at-all/

They arn’t hardcore or even gamers at all

reason being even though they play every night all they play is CoD so it doesnt really count

Football star only plays football means he isn’t an athlete?

Battlefield 4 Thrives with High Speed Memory

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/bf4-loves-high-speed-memory

-6GB required, 8GB recommended

- 10% improvement in min FPS from 1600 - 2400 @ 1080p

- 20% + at Eyefinity res

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G-Sync vs Mantle: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/66778-amd-mantle-vs-nvidia-g-sync/?p=924973#entry924973

CLICK THROUGH FOR NOTES

Indie games are such a big deal now, getting the small guys to develop for even more platforms may be an issue unless you pay them off… which is possible

Everything we know about mantle will blow up once they have their conference

I personally don’t care about G-sync until its on some PA level monitors… then im game

Actual debates about which is better is almost useless atm as there is so much missing information

Googles iron grip on android tightens

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

Constantly stopping development for AOSP projects while releasing their own, new, closed source projects

first we saw stuff like search go, then things like messaging, and there are more on the way It is now incredibly hard to survive outside of Androids ecosystem

Companies like samsung making 3rd party software seems weird, then you realize its because they need a fallback plan for when Google possibly goes too far

We have been talking about this for a while now… Google is closing off, their face is changing… they are not the company we once knew

This seems awfully familiar… Company rises to the top by welcoming innovation by users and other groups

TWITTER? 290X?

Nokia lumia sales skyrocket outside of the USA while HTC One slides

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67557-nokia-lumia-sales-skyrocket/

meanwhile...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/htc-struggles-to-claw-back-market-share-from-apple-inc-samsung-after-htc-u-sales-slide/1185274/?SocialMedia

Nokia growing in outer american markets while HTC falls in general… We saw a lot of HTC ads while in Taiwan but is there main marketing focus the US? with the RDJ campaign and all I can’t help but think they may be better off flexing some marketing muscles elsewhere… Marketing in the USA isn’t the be all end all it used to be

Do we need an HTC Two? Maybe the market is just bored with the One… Everyone talked about it heavily for a while but its old news in a system that moves incredibly quickly

Is this the tipping point for total commoditization of the phone? Samsung with billion models, Apple doing colours, Motorola same thing

Apple’s Patent on Touch Typing & Multi-Touch Gestures Upheld

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Patent+on+Touch+Typing+Multitouch+Upheld+Allows+Ban+on+Most+Androids/article33580.htm

- Some good news for HTC - They made a deal on this already

- Would allow Apple to ban Android devices that don’t use physical keyboards or require straight-line gestures

- This stuff existed, but not on CAPACITIVE TOUCH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZBLjxPBUU

- Windows Phone/Nokia also safe from this.

-

Elon Musk thinks hydrogen cars are bullshit

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/23/4946858/elon-musk-thinks-hydrogen-cars-are-bullshit

"There are lots of people who say electric cars are never going to happen, and that we should just burn hydrocarbons forever,"

"And then they'll say certain technologies like fuel cell, and it's like, oh god, fuel cell is so bullshit."

"They don't really believe it," he added, once the audience applause died down. "It's like a marketing thing."

"It's suitable for rockets," he added, "but not for cars."

Musk countered this week by arguing that hydrogen fuel cells, even in the "best case," can't equal what lithium ion batteries currently offer in terms of cost and range.

Hyundai, Mercedes, and other automakers have begun developing hydrogen fuel cell cars, and Toyota this month said it doesn't see much of a market for all-electric offerings like the Model S.

he hopes to open up the car's infotainment system to third-party apps by the end of 2014. The car's 17-inch display currently runs on Linux, and Tesla is considering adding an Android emulator in the future.

Musk says he plans to include Google Chrome as the system's default browser by late 2014.

TWITTER?

Google officially refines the fine print about its personal servers on google fiber

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/15/4841180/google-fiber-policies-updated-allow-personal-servers

Any personal server is fine as long as it is not used for commercial services

previously stated that this was fine but now it is actually in the fine print

Except for widely public servers it may be very easy to claim it isn't for your business as long as the server is in your home… backing up your office computer nightly from your house may not be directly for commercial service, you have cat pictures on that computer you must have backed up!...

Rally against the NSA… It’s getting pretty serious now

https://rally.stopwatching.us/announcing-stop-watching-us-the-video/

Think its a conspiracy or not there are some big names behind this

indiegogo page up to support the rally, donations help make signs, bus people in, etc etc

With news stories like these coming out its getting more and more important to step up! Stop just posting meme’s and talking about it on reddit - do something

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6977/125/

Bell identifies the following data for expanded usage:

• Web pages visited from your mobile device or your Internet access at home.
 This may include search terms that have been used.

• App and device feature usage

• TV viewing

• Calling patterns

Bell will also begin to use account data such as which products you use, device types, payment patterns, language preferences, gender, and age.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&u=http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/nsa-merkel-beschwert-sich-bei-obama-a-929636.html

USA spies on Germany… snoops Chancellor Merkel’s phone

5s and 5c touchscreens are less accurate than S3

http://blog.gsmarena.com/tests-show-iphone-5s-and-5c-touchscreens-are-inaccurate/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

LARGE portions of the screen are not accurate to within a millimeter

Doesn’t seem like that big of a deal but when buttons are that small its actually kind of a big range

makes pressing certain buttons on the keyboard a pain

Why are we regressing? Claims that the iphone 4s was more accurate

Q and P are almost entirely covered in the red markings which stand for not being accurate down to within 1mm

that was fast...

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

As a side note, Western Canada is Hydro power, while western power is nuclear power. Both very/extremely clean power but just so you know. Canada as a whole isn't just hydro powered. Top 2 are Nuclear and Coal, than hydro. But hydro is #1 in BC, than coal.

And I am excited for 290x waterblock/aftermarket cooler benchmarks. It was extreamly held back by thermals and those temps, it will help it very much to see it's true power compared to a OC 780.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

And I am excited for 290x waterblock/aftermarket cooler benchmarks. 

I have heard that, AMD wont allow aftermarket coolers before Q1 2014. :(

Listened to the '1:41:23 Linus and Luke's (Slick's) take on AMD R9 290X' section and laughed my ass off.

Listened to the '1:41:23 Linus and Luke's (Slick's) take on AMD R9 290X' section and laughed my ass off.

Hahaha, IDGI.

Gaming monitor that's sorta expensive, But for a monitor that has no lag, no tearing, prefect smoothness that's a fucking prefect price. I don't understand what funny. Take those 3 into account and i'm confused at as why that is bad.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Hahaha, IDGI.

Gaming monitor that's sorta expensive, But for a monitor that has no lag, no tearing, prefect smoothness that's a fucking prefect price. I don't understand what funny. Take those 3 into account and i'm confused at as why that is bad.

Yeap, you didn't get what i was posting at all so why are you posting an assumption? Fail~~~~

I was laughing at how Slick mentioned that fanboys are saying 'This card is amazing!' When they ran overclocked benchmarks for the 7000 series which turned out to be monster OC-ers and when the reference 290X turned out to be 'not-such-a-great-overclocker' people shot flak at them so what do we want.

Yeap, you didn't get it at all so why are you posting an assumption? Fail~~~~

I was laughing at how Slick mentioned that fanboys are saying 'This card is amazing!' When they ran overclocked benchmarks for the 7000 series which turned out to be monster OC-ers and when the reference 290X turned out to be 'not-such-a-great-overclocker' people shot flak at them so what do we want.

I don't think this card or that card is perfect.

I think a monitor that once again offers no lag, no tearing, and smoothness; for only $100 extra is a fantastic price.

The 290x is a shitty card because it's a stock card with a stock cooler. It is worse than a 780 because of the cooler. Once a after market or water cooler comes into play it will do better (I hope) but for now it is a shitty card that isn't worth it.

Why would you buy a $550 card that does less fps than a 780. The 780 can be overclocked the 290x can't because it's at it's thermal limit. That's why people who bought it now better buy an aftermarket cooler otherwise it's a waste.

I don't think this card or that card is perfect.

I think a monitor that once again offers no lag, no tearing, and smoothness; for only $100 extra is a fantastic price.

The 290x is a shitty card because it's a stock card with a stock cooler. It is worse than a 780 because of the cooler. Once a after market or water cooler comes into play it will do better (I hope) but for now it is a shitty card that isn't worth it.

Why would you buy a $550 card that does less fps than a 780. The 780 can be overclocked the 290x can't because it's at it's thermal limit. That's why people who bought it now better buy an aftermarket cooler otherwise it's a waste.

NEVERMIND, you don't understand English & is exactly the group of people Linus described in the portion i linked facepalm.gif

-tata-

I'd say that even with the stock cooler the 290x is quite a good deal, it only performs OH SO SLIGHTLY less than 780 at their OCed speeds for $100 less. Other reviews (done at stock speeds) put it above 780, at times matching or even exceeding titan levels of performance, especially at 4k. I'm not going to have any solid opinions until the aftermarket cards/under water reviews come out.

NEVERMIND, you don't understand English & is exactly the group of people Linus described in the portion i linked facepalm.gif

-tata-

tada, not my fault your retarded and don't understand anything.

Not going to explain it to you if you have no response. 

Congratulations you can use an image macro doesn't make you special, only special in the head.

tada, not my fault your retarded and don't understand anything.

Not going to explain it to you if you have no response. 

Congratulations you can use an image macro doesn't make you special, only special in the head.

Dude, he's talking about how people rants on the overclocked benchmark results and you're talking about monitors.

The Elon Musk part of that, he is a smart guy and all but saying hydrogen is bullshit is bullshit in itself, somewhat of a little rant is needed now so bare with me.

Mercedes-Benz who by the way are pretty much on the cutting edge of automotive technology seem to differ somewhat and also remember that they have been around for almost 130 years, I think to think that they know a thing or two, also Toyota and Honda are also developing hydrogen powered cars and if those manufacturers are developing them then I think Mr Musk needs to take a step back and re-evaluate.

The problem with cars is that we have built the world around them in the way we use and fuel them, hydrogen fits perfectly because you can just rock up to a hydrogen station and fill up your car the same way as you do with petroleum.

Having millions of battery powered cars, think of it this way, the amount of time and money to build the infrasturcture is going to be immense, and the fact that it takes so much time to get the batteries to a charge level so that you can drive away in my opinion is not feasible.

Battery powered cars offer shit range, take over 12 hours to charge (so you don't wreck the batteries), very heavy, very expensive and extremely pollutant to manufacture and often shipped around the world during the manufacturing process, yes the technology will improve but battery powered cars are already obsolete, hydrogen whether Elon likes it or not is the future and since hydrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe, it makes perfect sense to utilise it and once he have pegged the technology down (these kind of projects aren't cheap obviously, whether battery powered or hydrogen), we'll have an almost limitless source of energy for our travelling needs.

I really don't understand how someone who is obviously very intelligent can say such a thing, I'm kind of surprised.

Anyway I'm done :)

Thanks for reading if you can even be arsed to read this :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

At the end of the WAN show, Linus said the build logs of the week would be in the doc, am I blind or is it not here? 

Sorry for asking so late, I didn't have time to see the episode before now.