Should I wait for Broadwell?

Says it all in the tittle. Im planning to get a new build up. Should I wait for Broadwell or just use Haswell?

if you don't need to upgrade don't and either get a current gen chip for a good price or buy a brand new one...we a sortof between a cycle, but once you start waiting and this or that is announced you are told to wait for AMD's new chips, but intel is the way to go  :D

Says it all in the tittle. Im planning to get a new build up. Should I wait for Broadwell or just use Haswell?

Haswell isn't really much of an improvement over Ivy Bridge for gaming, so I would wait.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

It will probably be like a 5-10% performance increase and better power consumption and DDR4, are these important to you? You need to consider also do you need the new build now or will you be able to wait. I say wait, and if you don't like Broadwell, the Haswell platform will drop in price.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

if you don't need to upgrade don't and either get a current gen card for a good price or buy a brand new one...we a sortof between a cycle, but once you start waiting and this or that is announced you are told to wait for AMD's new cards :D

OP was talking specifically about CPUs.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Isn't Broadwell supposed to be BGA? Meaning no sockets, but CPUs soldered right at the MoBo? 

OP was talking specifically about CPUs.

it realized that now,but what I said makes sense in both contexts

it realized that now,but what I said makes sense in both contexts

Well, i get what you are saying

Isn't Broadwell supposed to be BGA? Meaning no sockets, but CPUs soldered right at the MoBo? 

I don't know how I fell about that.  But I guess that's progress, in Intel's view at least.

Thanks for the advice people!! Appreciate it:D

one extra tip from me would be not to build a gaming pc during the school times, because it WILL distract you :D

one extra tip from me would be not to build a gaming pc during the school times, because it WILL distract you :D

Much needed tip

I don't know how I fell about that.  But I guess that's progress, in Intel's view at least.

If Broadwell only brings marginal performance improvements, the move to BGA from LGA might be enough to keep me away

Broadwell is supposed to be socketed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The big draw for Broadwell to me is the DDR4 support BECAUSE (I know you are only asking about CPUs), but the Maxwell Series from Nvidia is focusing on Unified Memory, if that taps into RAM then I would want the best RAM I could get.  This is talking for high, high end gaming though so if you don't care about that, then just get whatever i5 or i7 is cheapest (as long as you have a dedicated GPU already)

In the context of Broadwell: Does lower power consumption or lower TDP mean the CPU will run cooler (non-OC) ?

if you don't need to upgrade don't and either get a current gen chip for a good price or buy a brand new one...we a sortof between a cycle, but once you start waiting and this or that is announced you are told to wait for AMD's new chips, but intel is the way to go  :D

AMD's annoucement on what their new chips is nov 10 its not that far away

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Guess i will just wait for the release of broadwell

Q4 2014