The Cooler Master Glacier 240L: The H220 Successor! *UPDATED*

well this made my day, i was just about to buy the H220 before it went off the market, if I can mod my new case ill throw this in

What case do you have?

I hope a 360mm version is coming maybe along with a 280mm and 420mm as well? Because im debating between a H110 and this and if there was a 280mm version of this I wouldnt even look at the H110.

Most likely will be a 360 version at some point, thought the 240 variant already outperforms the H110. 280 and 140 variants are unkown at this time, but almost definitely will not be a 420mm version any time soon, since Swiftech does not make a 420mm radiator currently.

BTW sorry for the multiple posts, I can't multi-quote on mobile.

Most likely will be a 360 version at some point, thought the 240 variant already outperforms the H110. 280 and 140 variants are unkown at this time, but almost definitely will not be a 420mm version any time soon, since Swiftech does not make a 420mm radiator currently.

BTW sorry for the multiple posts, I can't multi-quote on mobile.

I would hope there would be a 360mm version because of the H320 (which i have in my main rig). I know even the Swiftech H220 outperforms the Corsair H110 but is the 140mm fan compatibility that I like. Also 140mm is now being used much more widely on newer cases. Its my opinion that over time it will probably replace 120mm in mid and full tower desktops and larger just like 120mm did to 80mm and 92mm.

As for mobile get tapatalk and youll have everything that you can do natively one the forum for the most part. I believe there is ever a free version now.

I would hope there would be a 360mm version because of the H320 (which i have in my main rig). I know even the Swiftech H220 outperforms the Corsair H110 but is the 140mm fan compatibility that I like. Also 140mm is now being used much more widely on newer cases. Its my opinion that over time it will probably replace 120mm in mid and full tower desktops and larger just like 120mm did to 80mm and 92mm.

As for mobile get tapatalk and youll have everything that you can do natively one the forum for the most part. I believe there is ever a free version now.

What 140 fans are you wanting? I've only seen a few that would be good on radiators, since static pressure is more important than CFM on rads.

What 140 fans are you wanting? I've only seen a few that would be good on radiators, since static pressure is more important than CFM on rads.

I have used Noctua NF-A14 PWM's on a Corsair H110 in a Corsair 350D with great results. I know they are not as good as the NF-F12 PWM's static pressure wise but you have more surface area on the rad too. Also in the 350D it can have 140mm fans in the front so using one swiftech's PWM hubs I was able to run the 4 fas off of the CPU fan header on a gryphon Z87. The rear fan which has to be 120mm then went on the CPU_ASST header. Hopefully if things go as I think they might noctua will have a NF-F14 PWM or something like that since 140mm will be the standard.

What case do you have?

cubitek mini cube

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I'm the customer support, RMA support and tech rep for those that have any questions. Phelan is correct. This kit was designed in collaboration with Cooler Master and Swiftech so that US customers could have an H220 kit made available to them again. Please let me know if you have any questions because I'm quite familiar with both kits.

How will CoolerMaster be handeling the RMA's compared to Swiftech?  Can you elaborate?  I am quite familiar with the process having been through it more than a few times.  Thanks

Main Rig: AMD FX-8320 / ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 / G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 8GB CL8 / MSI Twin Frozr 3 OC-Boost Ed. 7950 (960-1250) / Custom CPU Loop / Seasonic SS-760XP2 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / WD Black 1TB / Win7 64-bit / FD Arc Midi R2

I received my unit a few days ago and I have been playing around with it. I'm currently using it with a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans. I've had a 7c drop in temp during load using Aida 64 compared to my H100i. I've been running the 240L pump/block between 1600rpm-1900rpm.

For those who buy this unit, make sure you power it on outside of the case first to check if it needs to be bled. My unit had some air in the pump housing causing it to run loud (ticking noise). After I shook the radiator a little and moved the pump around in different angles, the air pocket was purged and the pump now runs silently throughout the RPM range.

BUT there's a problem, it's only silent when the block ISN'T mounted onto the CPU. When mounted on top of the CPU, it's only silent below 2000rpm. Above 2000 RPM there's what seems to be a high freq resonance emitting from the block whenever the copper cold plate touches anything solid creating an acoustical fiasco. Above 2000rpm my rig begins to sound like one of those hand held vibrating massage units. Below 2000rpm, it's dead silent.

@Phelan @BramSLI1

I received my unit a few days ago and I have been playing around with it. I'm currently using it with a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans. I've had a 7c drop in temp during load using Aida 64 compared to my H100i. I've been running the 240L pump/block between 1600rpm-1900rpm.

For those who buy this unit, make sure you power it on outside of the case first to check if it needs to be bled. My unit had some air in the pump housing causing it to run loud (ticking noise). After I shook the radiator a little and moved the pump around in different angles, the air pocket was purged and the pump now runs silently throughout the RPM range.

BUT there's a problem, it's only silent when the block ISN'T mounted onto the CPU. When mounted on top of the CPU, it's only silent below 2000rpm. Above 2000 RPM there's what seems to be a high freq resonance emitting from the block whenever the copper cold plate touches anything solid creating an acoustical fiasco. Above 2000rpm my rig begins to sound like one of those hand held vibrating massage units. Below 2000rpm, it's dead silent.

@Phelan @BramSLI1

Resonance? Seems like the block might have a vibration problem or the block isn't mounted properly or it's in direct contact with the chip with a metal on metal noise.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Resonance? Seems like the block might have a vibration problem or the block isn't mounted properly or it's in direct contact with the chip with a metal on metal noise.

It sounds exactly like this at full speed when its mounted (this is not my video)

The moment its off the CPU the noise disappears.

It sounds exactly like this at full speed when its mounted (this is not my video)

The moment its off the CPU the noise disappears.

Has to be vibration. Once it's not touching anything it isn't making a sound. Or pump is whack.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

No its not vibration. I had this very problem and the Swiftech rep told me it was an air bubble that was lodged in the loop somewhere. I tried to bleed the air out using a variety of prescribed methods, didnt work. I sent in the unit and got another one with no problems. So I would suggest trying to bleed the air bubbles out. If that doesnt work, Swiftech is pure awesome and will send you another one if its defective in any way. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

No its not vibration. I had this very problem and the Swiftech rep told me it was an air bubble that was lodged in the loop somewhere. I tried to bleed the air out using a variety of prescribed methods, didnt work. I sent in the unit and got another one with no problems. So I would suggest trying to bleed the air bubbles out. If that doesnt work, Swiftech is pure awesome and will send you another one if its defective in any way. 

Well time to get leaking once I buy one (if I can..)

Would you mind sharing the methods that was prescribed by Swiftech to try and alleviate the issue? It would help me figure out if there was something I didn't try already. Also was it audible when your pump wasn't mounted to the CPU? Mine was quiet when not mounted.

Would you mind sharing the methods that was prescribed by Swiftech to try and alleviate the issue? It would help me figure out if there was something I didn't try already. Also was it audible when your pump wasn't mounted to the CPU? Mine was quiet when not mounted.

Sure, here are some steps prescribed by Swiftech: 

• First, remove your radiator from your case and gently shake it. You’ll need to hold it above the pump in order to do this properly. You’ll also want your pump running while you’re doing this.
  • Next, gently tilt your case from side to side and from back to front to help dislodge any remaining air bubbles. You may need to do this for a few minutes to get your pump to quiet down.
  • If the previous step was still not successful you may need to gently squeeze the tubing above the fittings on either side of your pump. Do this very gently so that you don’t end up putting unnecessary pressure on your barb fitting elbows. This should finally dislodge any remaining air bubbles trapped in your pump.

These procedures can take several minutes to almost half an hour before your pump will push out the stubborn air bubble and quiet down. Once this has occurred you can then just open the fill port cap on your radiator and top off your radiator with a little distilled water.

Also, to answer your other question, the orientation of the pump may have something to do with the air being cycled through the motor and causing noise. For instance, when you had your pump running with no CPU, was the pump perpindicular to the ground? When testing it in your case, was the pump parallel to the ground? This is what I mean by orientation of the pump. The air may be symptomatic in one orientation over the other. In my case, I believe the sound occurred in both orientations and with and without the CPU

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

For instance, when you had your pump running with no CPU, was the pump perpindicular to the ground? When testing it in your case, was the pump parallel to the ground? This is what I mean by orientation of the pump. The air may be symptomatic in one orientation over the other. In my case, I believe the sound occurred in both orientations and with and without the CPU

Hi nicehat,

Thanks for sharing the steps provided by Swiftech. 

I tested both perpendicular and parallel to the ground when it wasn't mounted to the CPU. It was quiet. Only the slight hum of the motor was audible. The moment the copper plate hard connects to the cpu it generates the noise. Even when I set the block with the copper faced down on a cardboard box to prevent it from dangling in the air it generates a buzz. What's odd about it is I don't feel any vibrations when I lay it on my hand or just by holding it.

Hi nicehat,

I tested both perpendicular and parallel to the ground when it wasn't mounted to the CPU. It was quiet. Only the slight hum of the motor was audible. The moment the copper plate hard connects to the cpu it generates the noise. Even when I set the block with the copper faced down on a cardboard box to prevent it from dangling in the air it generates a buzz. What's odd about it is I don't feel any vibrations when I lay it on my hand or just by holding it.

Hmmm. After trying the other troubleshooting steps above,  I would have it returned or RMA it if I were you (if still symptomatic).. At that point you've done everything in your power and really cant do more. Dont worry though, the customer service is top notch & hassle free in my experience.

Updated!

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1624&product_id=10101

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103196

2 year warranty, there goes the 60,000 hour pump life.  It only warranties about 18,000 hours if the unit is ran 24/7.  @Ghost what are your thoughts?

Well, warranties aren't worked out using the MTBF because that means half the pumps would be returned so that was expected.

I would still expect it to be longer though, at least half of the MTBF.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Hi nicehat,

Thanks for sharing the steps provided by Swiftech.

Honestly if everything (mobo, cpu, Glacer) is tight and you're getting that sound, I would RMA it. What it sounds like to me that the pressure of mounting it adds just enough pressure for the impeller to be making contact somewhere inside the pump when its at higher speeds. These things are made to very low tolerances, but also very tight gaps. So an exceedingly soft piece of acetal could be the culprit in this case. That's my theory on it anyway.

That being said, if using it as an AIO, 2000 rpm is overkill anyway. 1500-1800 is the sweet spot between noise and performance. Once you have "enough" flow, which the unit does as an AIO CPU cooler at ~1500 rpm, more flow will hardly affect temperatures at all. About 1*C difference in this case between 1500 rpm and 3000.

That being said, if using it as an AIO, 2000 rpm is overkill anyway. 1500-1800 is the sweet spot between noise and performance. Once you have "enough" flow, which the unit does as an AIO CPU cooler at ~1500 rpm, more flow will hardly affect temperatures at all. About 1*C difference in this case between 1500 rpm and 3000.

The only reason why I wanted to go a little past 2k rpm (without the noise) is to have some wiggle room for an additional 120mm rad and a full block for my 780. I've temporarily reinstalled my H100i to drain the 240L so I could take the pump apart and inspect it for any debris which I did not find.

There are a couple confirmations that I found when inspecting the pump internals.

1) It's definitely a de-badged H220 pump underneath the CoolerMaster face plate. You can see the outline of Swiftech's logo on the plastic.See attached pics

2) The impeller is Swiftech's most updated unit with the 3 holes to help purge the air behind the impeller/magnet/stator area. See attached pics.

**Before people freak and tell me taking things apart voids my warranty; I know and I don't care ;). My work pays for this stuff for me to fiddle around with.

Edit: I think I'm going to put the impeller on a balancer to see how balanced/imbalanced since it's the only source for the vibrations.

post-30059-0-51235900-1383454123_thumb.j

post-30059-0-12074300-1383454125_thumb.j

The only reason why I wanted to go a little past 2k rpm (without the noise) is to have some wiggle room for an additional 120mm rad and a full block for my 780. I've temporarily reinstalled my H100i to drain the 240L so I could take the pump apart and inspect it for any debris which I did not find.

There are a couple confirmations that I found when inspecting the pump internals.

1) It's definitely a de-badged H220 pump underneath the CoolerMaster face plate. You can see the outline of Swiftech's logo on the plastic.See attached pics

2) The impeller is Swiftech's most updated unit with the 3 holes to help purge the air behind the impeller/magnet/stator area. See attached pics.

**Before people freak and tell me taking things apart voids my warranty; I know and I don't care ;). My work pays for this stuff for me to fiddle around with.

Edit: I think I'm going to put the impeller on a balancer to see how balanced/imbalanced since it's the only source for the vibrations.

attachicon.gif240L.jpg

attachicon.gif240L-2.jpg

Thanks so much for the input! I will update main page!

Thanks so much for the input! I will update main page!

BlueJay,

I've resolved the minor noise issue I had last week so all is good. I'm happy with the unit. Happy enough to purchase a Komodo block for my 780 and an additional 240 rad to add to the loop. Parts arrived from Swiftech the other day. I'm hoping I'll have time tonight to work on it :)